LG INVERTER REFRIGERATORS

solarhills99
solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
Went from a Sun Frost 16cu (after 20 yrs) to a 20cu LG inverter based top freezer unit.  Sold at all the big box stores.  After a couple of days running it measures 46 watts running at regular cycle.  About a 50% duty cycle, in a 70 degree ambient temp.  So that's about 25 watts an hour or 600 watts a day!  Of course you have to figure inverter losses into your consumption.  So no noticeable surge upon startup.  This works fine off a 600 watt Samlex.  They also sell a 23cu version, that uses about 10% more according to Consumer Reports.  They have ice makers and mine is not on so I don't know the daily use with it running.

Comments

• cupcake
    cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    YUP!  An LG Inverter-compressor fridge is on my wish-list too!  Which model did you end up getting?
    PS - my washer is an LG with an innverter motor, UBER EFFCIENT!

:)
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel
    Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
    3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
    Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I  like that.... 219 Kwh/Yr .....got a GE 18 Cu Ft 2 years ago and it tested out at ~37W (24V) for a peek and IIRC ~700W/day but it is NOT an INVERTER type, ($800)  but has a similar 50% run time that tapers power use down...Maybe it was a  new ??   compressor as I could not find ANYTHING about the compressor
    Downside for us is it makes a lot of noise when running...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarhills99
    Model is LTCS20220S
  • cupcake
    love me them inverter motors in LG products, a MUST for off-grid appliances...  I love having a LG washer not having to even look at what it draws in current... love it.. :)

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that that model has an energy star rating of 471 kWh/Year.  Other, non-inverter 20 cu ft models are rated at 386 kWh/Year.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Biggest Benefit of inverter refrigerator is definitely the lack of surge. Small compressor. Less material cost?
    I ran one from a 300w suresine inverter.
    You may have issue depending on model and defost element rating.  Not sure of they use over 300watts. Running watts was low.

I do not see massive increased efficiencies with inverter refrigerators.  Atleast not at present.  There is a fair amount of Mass in an operating refrigerator.  Which should help out non inverter model
  • solarhills99
    On the energy star rating I went with Consumer Reports independent testing rather then the mfg. claims.  You'll find they give the 471 kw LG a better score then the 386 kw rated Frigidaire.  40$ for the LG vs $44 for the Frigidaire.  I also looked at usable capacity.  Again not the mfg's claims.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big boon in an inverter fridge, is to not need a huge inverter to start the compressor motor up, That extra 1K of inverter idle, except for the surge to start the motor, hurts system efficiency,
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jonr
    Since it still cycles, filling unused space with water (refrigerator) or antifreeze+water (freezer) should help efficiency.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or beer (refrigerator) and Tequila (freezer)?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    also just upgraded to an lg inverter fridge . 450 liter bottom mount freezer . measuring  around .7 kw per day . energy star  says it will use 299 kw per year. so performing well .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    @solarhills99 - You sure that is the right model number?  The LG web site doesn't say anything about it using an inverter motor.  I am pretty sure that if this model was an inverter one they would make a big deal about it (and charge more).

Steve
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • cupcake
    edited November 2016 #14
    Horsefly said:
    @solarhills99 - You sure that is the right model number?  The LG web site doesn't say anything about it using an inverter motor.  I am pretty sure that if this model was an inverter one they would make a big deal about it (and charge more).

Steve
    They actually offer TWO inverter compressor refidgerators in the USA... the bigger one posted by the OP and a smaller one... 11cu I think.... LG does NOT make a big deal out of the inverter compressors because most Ameritards have no idea what it means or why it matters... the ONLY people that get all wet over this inverter technology is solartards like us because it means no more surges and liner, low-watt operation, and VERY low-watt operation at night...

A gridtard is simply not gonna care about the energy-savings on a inverter fridge enough to justify the higher price, so its not mentioned...  you have to look at the SPECS of each fridge... under 'compressor type' it will say 'inverter'... thats how you find which ones have an inverter compressor in them :)

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• westbranch
    Up here in the frozen North, LG lists Inverter in all their advertising, but the sales people, locally anyway, know little about the fact that the label means something important, they just go on the annual power consumption.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • cupcake
    overseas LG inverter technology is more valued... thus advertised, but not so in the USSA
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @cupcake, I thought I had looked at the specs, but there it is.  My bad.

I need to go look for that smaller one.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • cupcake
    Horsefly said:

That small one is on my wish-list!  Looks HELLA GOOD!

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• solarhills99
    By the way another name for inverter compressor is liniar compressor.  The LG's have a Smart Inverter label on the front door if your at a box store.  Lots of the smaller box stores won't have this model on the floor, not enough demand I guess.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016 #20
    Horsefly said:

Can I interest you in a 25 cubic foot Maytag? It was "top of the line." About 20 years ago.            j/k
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • porch13
    porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Great thread!  Just ordered a LTCS20220W for our new off-grid setup.

Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • westbranch
    edited December 2016 #22
    Is the smaller one the LT NC 11121V selling at  MSRP $699.99?
    that was the one that popped up on Google....

As usual, only the top models here in Canada 

LTCS20220S  (Stainless)  at  MSRP  $ 1399.99  Cdn  and

LTCS20220W    (White)     at MSRP  $ 1299.99 Cdn

• porch13
    porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I got the LTCS20220W from Home Depot on sale for $749 US.  Great deal!
    Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • davemac
    davemac Registered Users Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited December 2016 #24
    I wasn't up on these types of refrigerators and bought a Haier HCF143 143 litre chest freezer for around $180 (usd) and replaced the freezers thermostat with a regular fridge one (~$20 usd).

It cycles every few minutes or so for less than a minute each time, uses about 200 w a day. It is quiet, the start up surge makes the lights momentarily dim but for our 1.2 kwh/day budget it is quite remarkable.

Seeing that it is a chest freezer, leaning down into it is the only drag but if you are happy using custom little bins for your items, then it's a good fit for the low energy off-grid keener.

1 kw Trina Honey PV - Morningstar MPPT 60 24V - 4xTrojan 6V T105 series - Victron Phoenix 1200W (2400W) 24V Inverter
  • cupcake
    Best off-grid fridge tip: use your excess daytime absorb energy to freeze icepacks in the freezer compartment, then set your fridge on a timer to go OFF in the evening, then come back on right at sunrise or early morning... your food WILL stay perfectly cool with the icepacks overnight...

~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @davema mentioned his freezer to fridge conversion  cycles  on every few minutes, on for a minute each time. You might want to adjust the cut in and cut out a little wider as short cycles can lead to premature compressor failure.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Question for ya cupcake:

cupcake said:
    Best off-grid fridge tip: use your excess daytime absorb energy to freeze icepacks in the freezer compartment, then set your fridge on a timer to go OFF in the evening, then come back on right at sunrise or early morning... your food WILL stay perfectly cool with the icepacks overnight...

I have pondered this issue a bit and have thought about putting frozen blocks in the fridge and freezer in the evening.
    I take it you do this with success?

It is minus 19 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. All  I need to do is put them outside on the back deck for a wee bit and I don't even have to worry about getting my freezer to do the heavy lifting to freeze them again.

I think I have project for today!

11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • jonr
    It's much more effective to use a mix of non-toxic antifreeze (maybe 40%) and water so that it freezes/thaws at the right temperature. 

Compressor short cycling also reduces efficiency.  Water helps with this too.

• morpho
    morpho Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    jonr:
    Thanks for the hint. I found this: http://thenaughtyvegan.com/how-to-make-blue-ice.htm
    ...OR...I just save up some cash and get a better fridge...though this one I have now is ..."ok"...but....
    11.5 kw array  -  3 - midnite solar classic 200's   -  Magnum MS-PAE Inverter  -  Magnum ME-RC50 remote  -  ME-BMK batt-monitor  -  8 DEKA Solar GC15 230amp hour (48v) - Yamaha ef3000ise - 1 confused look on face
  • solarhills99
    Update on Lg inverter based 20 cu.  Running off 600 watt inverter for 2 weeks now using about 600 to 700 watts a day at 0 degrees freezer, 37 refrig.  This is well below energy sticker estimates.  Actual power used is about a kw a day with the inverter no load loss plus inefficiency.   If I plug this into my 3000 watt inverter which has a sleep mode I'll have a 18 watt no load loss plus inefficiency, when on  but the inverter does go into sleep mode with this frig and come out if it fine.  We've had a bad patch of cloudy weather here on the NY, MA, VT border so I've actually turned the inverter off for a few hrs when leaving the house.  Now that the deep freeze is here have started to use frozen water bottles.
  • jonr
    I tried salt water and found that it separated.  But certainly better than using plain water in the freezer.