made a mistake

Options
wellbuilt
wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
 I made a mistake wireing my solar panel Combiner box I accidentally wired three panels backwards and pop the  mid nite 15 amp breaker ,  now I don’t seem to be getting any power from that string . 
 Do you think I blow the breaker of did I Ruin three 295 watt panels ? Help
Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .

Comments

• wellbuilt
    Options
     No opinion .?
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HAVE YOU GOT A GOOD MULTI METER TO CHECK THE pv OUTPUT? OOPS not shouting , CAPS was on...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    I’m  screaming  enough my self , I was trying to get it hooked up last night in the dark and just missed the +- on the plug and did not notice it I turned on the breakers this morning as I was coming out of sleep mode and it popped with 50 watts on it . I thought I had this nailed down .  My meter is missing for the moment 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reverse polarity maybe (hopefully?) triggered protection in the controller?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    I have to leave to go home ,  The controller is working fine with the other four strings of panels , 
     the breaker popped in the  combiner box  
  • Estragon
    Options
    Next thing I'd check would be mc4 connectors.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    I reversed the mc 4 Connections at the panel after the breaker popped I changed the mc4 connectors but don’t seem to be getting out put from that string . 
     The breaker stays on but no out put at the controler .
      Don’t have a meter with me , and don’t. Know for sure how to read the meter for PV out put .
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breakers are not supposed to die after 1 activation, unless they are something like household AC breakers on a DC circuit.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi Mike breakers where 15 amp pv breakers
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi wellbuilt,

In looking at this previous Thread:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/353404/solar-panels-for-48-volt-battery-charging#latest

You said that you have 24 PVs,  arranged into strings of three PVs.   But   it seems that you were only running five strings when this event occurred.     There could have been  the Isc that was available at the moment that you closed "the breakers"   (assume these were the Combiner breakers),   that the Isc total of the strings that had their breakers closed would be available to be dumped into that one reversed string.   This could have damaged the Bypass Diodes in the PVs of the reversed string.

The Bypass Diodes are almost always located in the junction box,  on the back of each PV  --  where the PV's cables attach.

Breakers in combiners are there to protect the PVs and the cables attached to the PVs from overheating (and fire),   in events similar to this ...

Breakers operate fairly slowly.   Their response time varies by the amount of current flowing through them.

Assume that the "mid nite" breaker  WAS an MNEPV DC-rated breaker.   There should be no damage to this breaker from this event.   When you have access to a meter (perhaps a neighbor?),   you can check the voltage from that string in full sun,   and disconnect each PV on that string to measure each PV,   etc.

Just a drive-by comment.  Good luck.   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Hi Vic thank for the advice , but I did this to my self I Wired this set of panel backwards,  I was rushing to get done before it was pitch black . 
     Life got in the way of my installation and had to leave it sit for 4 weeks , 
     the breaker looks burnt on the out side . 
     When I look at the back of the panels there is a box full of epoxy of some type I can’t see any diods
     do you think I’ve burnt out all 3 panels or just one .
     I tried a difrent string on the breaker but there was no out put ?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Just measure Voc and Isc for each panel and see what you get. Even if one or more panels test OK--They could still have been weakened and prone to early life failure... (and find the meter).

A reverse installed panel--Just a "forward biased" diode that will take all the current it can. Presumably, Imp or Isc forward current should not kill a panel--But 3x Imp/Isc is P=I^2R -- So 3^2 is 9x more "heating" in the panel and interior wiring--Much more heat in the reversed panel than designed...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    burnt breaker ... sounds like breaker is caput. Was it a dc breaker ,  If no meter  i would replace breaker ( if you have one)  for a start .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • mike95490
    Options
    If the breaker is burnt, it was the wrong kind and the vendor owes you a replacement.

Unless you used a 24V breaker in a 48V application
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• wellbuilt
    Options

• Vic
    Options
    wellbuilt said:
    Hi Vic thank for the advice , but I did this to my self I Wired this set of panel backwards,  I was rushing to get done before it was pitch black . 
     Life got in the way of my installation and had to leave it sit for 4 weeks , 
     the breaker looks burnt on the out side . 
     When I look at the back of the panels there is a box full of epoxy of some type I can’t see any diods
     do you think I’ve burnt out all 3 panels or just one .
     I tried a difrent string on the breaker but there was no out put ?

OK,   it the breaker has signs of being burned,   for the zero-output string,   then,  that breaker is now,  probably bad.

Please tell us about the Combiner  --  is it commercially made?  What brand is it?  What breakers are installed in the Combiner?  Are the DIN Rail type?

For MidNite,  and Outback Combiners,  it is very difficult to wire the breaker backwards,   but,  guess that it could be done.   The MNEPV breakers (and Outback's as well)  ARE polarity-sensitive,   and need to be mounted vertically,  with the output busbar up.   The Combiner can be mounted on a sloped roof,   but,   IIRC,  there is a limit on how flat the roof slope may be.

If you have any interior pics of your Combiner,   the burned breaker,   etc,   that you could post,   that could help us.

Thanks,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Type your commentthis is what I have 
  • wellbuilt
    Options

• wellbuilt
    Options
     I wired 9 panels 3 sets of 3 295 watt and ran the wires to the combiner box and had it all done buy 930 
      700 am I was waiting for some sun , I turned on the CC breaker then the pv breaker .
      I started getting 60 Watts the CC woke up and went into bulk charge with my first 2 strings of panels 800 am maybe 
      I walked out side and turned on the first new string of panels and it sizeled 😬 I turned the breaker off buy hand it did not pop . 
    I then walked inside saw 130 watts coming in and turned off the pv . 
     My I made a mistake and wired the panel plugs backwards . 
     I swapped the plugs on the2 strings and they powered up fine . 
     The third one won’t power up .( this is the one that the breaker popped on ) 
       I bought 2 new breakers like in the pic above  
     I tried the damaged string on a good breaker but there was no out put . 
     So I will replace the panels with 3 other panels I have , but are my  panels dead now ? 
      They have epoxy or some kind of sealer over the diodes ? 
      Ive been trying to work up at the house every other weekend but we’ve missed a month now 
     and the snow is coming 
  • Vic
    edited September 2018 #21
    Options

Thanks wellbuilt,

That Combiner does look like a MidNite  MNPV6,   BUT,  the Negative busbar on the left  has white insulators,   and all of the MNPVs that I've seen uses black insulators on the left   ...   That box does not look large enough to be an MNPV12,   which you would need if you have eight strings,   unless you are using a second combiner.

Do you know the manufacturer and model number of the Combiner?

More later,  Thanks,   Vic

• wellbuilt
    Options
    Yes it’s a mid nite mnpv6  I have 5 string run in to it .
     Will ground mount the other 9 panels on the ground in the next few years . 
      Do you think the 3 panels will survive the  reverse polarity ? 
     I’m probably 3 weeks away from being able t work on them 
  • Estragon
    Options
    > @wellbuilt said:
    > I reversed the mc 4 Connections at the panel after the breaker popped I changed the mc4 connectors but don’t seem to be getting out put from that string . 
    >  The breaker stays on but no out put at the controler .
    >   Don’t have a meter with me , and don’t. Know for sure how to read the meter for PV out put .

I'd start by setting the meter (which you probably need to find) to DCvolts and measure open circuit voltage by just holding the meter probes to the +/- contacts mc4 contacts for each suspect panel in reasonable light (doesn't have to be full sun, just light).
    Off-grid.  
  • Vic
    Options

wellbuilt,. 

It is my assumption,   that the bypass diodes are probably toasted  --  shorted.   And that those diodes would need to be replaced,   if you can get the junction box on the PVs off,  without damage to the backsheet of the PV.   Often  a Polyurethane sealant/adhesive is used to stick the junction box onto the backsheet.   This is very tough stuff,   so a lot of care would needed in the process.

The breaker should be checked ...

All of the above is just guessing   ...   Thanks for that pic.       Vic

• wellbuilt
    Options
    I was afraid of that , my junction box is full of the   Polyurethane  adhesive I don’t now how to clean it out of the box .
     Maybe we have a bad  MC 4 Connection on the roof the boys where setting the panels . 
     I’ll have to go up and see . 
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    Do you think all 3 panels will be bad or maybe just the last one where there was more heat ? 
     Wish I had some one else to blame  I hate silly  mistakes  especially when I make them 
  • mike95490
    Options
    The weakest panel likely lost and died.  the other 2 may still be good, but have been stressed. 

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 #28
    Options
    I think it's hopeful that there isn't damage, Ryan(? at Midnite) @halfcrazy discussed backfeeding solar panels to melt snow, I thought it was discussed here, but it was a couple software versions back and I couldn't find a link on this forum. He discusses pushing 2X the rated output back through the panel here on an Outback discussion. 2x the rated output is about the most 3 would push back into 1 string.

FWIW - I don't think it's an option on the soon to be released Charge controller, I have a few Classics don't recall that option, I suspect if he stated this they had done some trial runs. It's about 3rd to last reply;

http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3430

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 #29
    Options
    @wellbuilt,
    You stated that this happened early in the morning when the panels were producing 50 watts. This is a very small amount of power, less than 1 amp on that string. Certainly not enough to damage the breaker or the panels. IMO you may have a defective breaker, or possibly a bad connection in the string. As already stated, you will need a meter to troubleshoot this.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Hi rick yes it happened at start up in the morning . 
     At first I thought it was a bad breaker , I wanted to try a reset but did not . 
     I started checking thing and realized my mistake . 
     Maybe one of the wires pulled out of the mc4  connectors ,the boys where having a hard time getting them out to move them around .   
     I hate Waiting weeks to be able to work on the stuff
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have the tool and MC-4 ends that would be a cheap and simple possible remedy if wires got tugged or if contacts got burnt or damaged. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.