Any PV Electricians?

I am installing 30 Kaneka 60w (67V,0.9A) on my garage to a Fronius 3000 inverter (max 500V, max current 13.6A). Can anyone help me on string configuration. How do i configure these 30 modules to one inverter?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Any PV Electricians?

A guess would be 6 strings, of 5 panels.
    330V string, .9A total 5.4A@ 330V

I have no idea if that's within your inverters capacity, or in it's MPPT range. It's about the only way to slice up those panels though.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

It depends on what your coldest day is. I have one of those inverters and am satisfied with it so far.
    solarvic
  • solarvic

You should look on the fronuis web site and get thier configuration chart. Thier chart is color code. Yellow= array may be undersized. Green means optium and orange too high of voltage. Actually your !G 3000 is lots bigger than needed, Ig 2000 will do12 strings of 3. Can you get 6 more panels? To get out of the yellow zone you need at least 12 strings of of 3 to get in the green. At 10 strings of 3 you get 1809 watts @ stc of 201 v total. You are in the yellow zone. For my area I would want strings of 4 do to the cloudy weather. Your ig 3000 can do 13 strings 0f of 4 down to -4 degree F. So when someone ask about how to do something like this they should say thier coldest day and hottest day on record. The amount of 30 panels is kind of low. If it were me I would get at least 6 more to get in the green. I thought about getting a pallet of those also but I decided Against that because I get snow on my roof that stays there a couple months of the year and the output of them is too low to be putting on top of pole mounts. S:-)larvic
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    3 strings of 12.

67v x 12 cells =804 Volts. That won't last very long !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Solarvic has the chart inverted.

It's 12 strings of 3 (etc), not 3 strings of 12. These are very high voltage panels.

Don't know your temperature ranges, but with the defaults it only likes strings of 3 or 4 modules, so that means 10 strings of 3 I reckon.

If you're in an area that never gets below freezing you can do 6 strings of 5.

For strings of 3 you're probably going to want to look at what the real temperature effects will be - coefficients and all, because you might occasionally have too low a voltage.

And the inverter is bigger than you need, but I guess it would still work fine - but someone else can probably answer that with more certainty.
  • solarvic
    newenergy wrote: »
    Solarvic has the chart inverted.

It's 12 strings of 3 (etc), not 3 strings of 12. These are very high voltage panels.

Don't know your temperature ranges, but with the defaults it only likes strings of 3 or 4 modules, so that means 10 strings of 3 I reckon.

If you're in an area that never gets below freezing you can do 6 strings of 5.

For strings of 3 you're probably going to want to look at what the real temperature effects will be - coefficients and all, because you might occasionally have too low a voltage.

And the inverter is bigger than you need, but I guess it would still work fine - but someone else can probably answer that with more certainty.
    You are right I looked at the chartwrong. Have looked at it many times. I am using an ig 2ooo and a ig 3000. You should look at the fronuis string configuration chart. It gives you lots of info.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

http://www.xantrex.com/support/gtsizing/index.asp?lang=eng#calculator

It has your panel in the list, on the bottom left will give min/max voltages

Looks like 4 in series is fine, 5 maybe if your not to cold ( for each string )

Don't forget, you need each string to be fused
  • solarvic
    mike90045 wrote: »
    A guess would be 6 strings, of 5 panels.
    330V string, .9A total 5.4A@ 330V

I have no idea if that's within your inverters capacity, or in it's MPPT range. It's about the only way to slice up those panels though.
    Mike I corrected my post and looked the fronuis chart over again. I like pv powered,s chart better because you can imput in the exact temp instead of bieing in a range. And it has all the panel info also. For any location colder than 50F the are over 100 ocv. This inverter has a limit for 500 vdc. In my area coldest day -26 below coldest day ocv is 113.2 after the panels are broken in. Strings of 4 at the minium for me would be at least 9 strings of 4. for the ig 3000 inverter. I could use 13 strings of 4.