Outback VFX2812 Questions

Options
siyotanka
siyotanka Registered Users Posts: 10
In the product specifications it lists the "DC input current-Rated power" as 280 Amps DC. Is this the current needed to run this beast? Also, if it is then is my calcs correct it would take 6720 amps (total) to run for a 24 hour period?

Comments

• siyotanka
    Options
    Re: Outback VFX2812 Questions

I would ask a follow up question. The VFX2812 has a connection for AC input. As I read the specs, this is for a generator if one wants to tie one in. Can this circuit be used for a 120VAC grid input. Would this charge the batts when not using the PV array? I understand I would have to isolate the PV system from any feed back situation.

Inputs??
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

Up to 280amps, It is proportional to what you "load it up with" on the AC side.

Have a good one
    Tim
  • blackswan555
    Options

Yes Gen or grid, no problem, It isolates itself, You will also need a charge controller for you PV > Batteries

Tim
  • siyotanka
    Options

I have a Flexmax80 MPPT tied into the system. Just doing some tweeking and trying to iron out some not-so-suttle details.
  • siyotanka
    Options

So...if I hook up a 120 VAC to the AC input terminals of the VFX2812, you are saying it will not backfeed into my solar system. The switching network in the inverter will isolate the PV system and just feed the AC through to the panal. Correct?:confused:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    siyotanka wrote: »
    So...if I hook up a 120 VAC to the AC input terminals of the VFX2812, you are saying it will not backfeed into my solar system. The switching network in the inverter will isolate the PV system and just feed the AC through to the panal. Correct?:confused:

Something that could possibly be exciting, I'd check the manual first !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• siyotanka
    Options

Mike9

Therein lies the problem...the manual does not address this. The AC inputs talk about a generator hookup to feed the system as an aux input. I would like to grid tie or hook up the 120VAC to "feed" the system until such time as the power goes down and I then can switch to PV. The VFX sort of acts like a substation to pass thru the AC to the panel box. It also states in the manual that the AC will/can be used to charge the batteries. Which seems like an easy way to keep the batts charged during cloudy days.
  • blackswan555
    Options

Back-feed what ?
    The AC inputs talk about a generator hookup to feed the system as an aux input. I would like to grid tie or hook up the 120VAC to "feed" the system until such time as the power goes down and I then can switch to PV. The VFX sort of acts like a substation to pass thru the AC to the panel box. It also states in the manual that the AC will/can be used to charge the batteries. Which seems like an easy way to keep the batts charged during cloudy days.

Yes that is what it is designed to do ? But you don`t have to switch it yourself, You can program it to do it on power fail and keep batteries full on no Sun days with grid,

Have a good one
    Tim
  • GreenerPower
    GreenerPower Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    siyotanka wrote: »
    I have a Flexmax80 MPPT tied into the system. Just doing some tweeking and trying to iron out some not-so-suttle details.
    .... So...if I hook up a 120 VAC to the AC input terminals of the VFX2812 ...
    Curious, you have grid AC and you have PV to power something separately so far ?
    Yes, you can use grid 120VAC to feed the AC input of the VFX. But then the VFX would keep the batteries charged. PV energy would go nowhere i.e. wasted.
    Look up the manual of the VFX about HBX mode. This one would run the VFX AC loads from battery until the battery voltage goes down to some preset level, then the VFX would connects to use grid to recharge battery and to power AC loads. But I doubt that the cost $/Watt this way could beat grid power.
    If you don't have a MATE already, you'd need it to program the maximum VFX charging current to match your battery capacity (and to set the HBX parameters). The default 8 Amp AC charging would translate to ~80A DC for your 12V battery.

Hope these help.
    GP
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just make sure the Flexmate80 float voltage setting is slightly higher (0.2vdc) then VFX2812 float setting. If solar is not enough to charge battery then VFX2812 will automatically feed charge to battery when battery voltage drop to the VFX float voltage.

When tied to grid on AC input, the VFX will take any excess solar charge and push it to AC. This happens when charge controller pushes battery voltage above VFX2812 float voltage.
  • GreenerPower
    Options
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    When tied to grid on AC input, the VFX will take any excess solar charge and push it to AC. This happens when charge controller pushes battery voltage above VFX2812 float voltage.
    This is not a G model, it won't "sell" to grid.
    GP
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will it not push to AC to point where solar push exceeds what can be consumed by ACout (ie., will not allow a push back into utility grid but allows power to be consumed by ACout)?
  • GreenerPower
    Options

While connecting to grid, VFX would power AC loads from grid (via passthru). PV would push the battery to absorb quickly since the battery is in fully charged state.
    GP