C40 questions

Marcel
Marcel Solar Expert Posts: 39
Hello nice people. I'm just getting started with solar and don't think I have installed the C40 correctly. The digital display indicates 0 watts. The volts average around 13. The panel is a KC120 and I am using two 6volt golf cart batteries. What should the display read for watts? Thanks.

Comments

• westcoastslider
    westcoastslider Registered Users Posts: 20
    Re: C40 questions

The c40 should have + from the pv separate from the + from the battery. The - are joined internally. Make sure you don't have the pv + in the battery + and the battery + in the pv +.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Does the display show anything at all, or is it completely blank?
  • Marcel

Its got a bunch of 0's for everything except the volts. I checked to make sure all the wires are going to the right place and they are.

I remember last week when the sun was out, the amp and amp hours were registering but have never seen anything other than 0's for the other things.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

So the next question is; what have you got for panels, and are they putting out Voltage? There could be a blown fuse/breaker and/or mis-wiring there. If you have a Voc that is above the battery Voltage you should be getting charging (providing the C40 is set up right).
  • Groser
    Groser Registered Users Posts: 10

with the sun shining the amps display will tell you how many amps are coming in to the c40. watts = amps X volts. example 5 amps coming in at 12 volts equals 60 watts. zero amps = zero watts. the volts you are seeing are the volts of the batteries. use a volt meter and make sure the solar panel is producing.
    check all connections. hope this helps.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Keep in mind you need a load to see power displayed, if your batteries are fully charged, you would only have the voltages values displayed. Run the batterys down a bit and then see what you get for displayed values
  • Marcel

I've got one Kyocera 120 watt panel hooked up. Last week when the sun was out it reached float stage. The green light stayed on until the sun went down. I checked all the connections. They look good to me. Thanks everyone.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Are you saying it used to work (green light last week), but never displayed anything but Zero Amps?

Or, you have found the problem and everything is working now?

Or, it appears to be charging but not displaying Amps?

It is possible you have a bad device. Xantrex is usually pretty good about sending a replacement unit if you think it is bad (from what I have read).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marcel

Yes, it was charging last week but I did not see anything other than volts on the display. Correction, the amps and amp hours registered as well. The watts has always been 0.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Hmm... I wonder if there is a software setup issue? You are logging Amps/Amp*Hours correctly. Watts is just Amps*Volts... (I don't know anything about setting up a Cxx controller).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy

Here the manual

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/978/docserve.aspx

I seem to recall the meters minimum display is 1 amp, so 12-13 watts would be the minimum displayed. Put a good load on the battery and have the PV connected and see what you get for reading. If the battery is near fully charged you probably won;t get watts or amps displayed as the charging rate would be so low
  • Marcel

Everything is showing on the display now. 14 watts and 29 watts, depending on the Sun. But, the last time I looked, the watts were 0 again. Is that normal?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcel wrote: »
    Everything is showing on the display now. 14 watts and 29 watts, depending on the Sun. But, the last time I looked, the watts were 0 again. Is that normal?

It's normal, if the batteries are full and don't need a charge.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy

Yes, the C40 when in absorb or float is basically an on/off controller. If you want to see numbers, put a good load on the battery
  • vanman
    vanman Solar Expert Posts: 29

Hi from the UK
    I have a C60 connected to 4x 130w Kyocera panels on a Tracker

it is designed mainly as a charge controller.

on the digital display it shows
    amps the amount of amps that is being dumped
    watts the amount of watts its dumping
    volts the battery's are showing

underneath is the amp hours produced at this moment
    and total amp hours produced so far to date since turning on.

remember that it is a battery charge controller and it only displays watts and amps that are dumped to the dump load to stop the battery's from over charging.

when the green led is lit that means the battery's are fully charged and ready to use the power from an inverter

Check out youtube.com and search for my site for an explanation look for Windysolar1 or type it into goggle.
  • mike95490

But solar does not need a dump load ! I guess it's nice to see you have enough power left over to dump though. Maybe have it light up a green light, to tell you it's good to run the dishwasher, washer, dryer, vacuum cleaner, bread machine while power is aplenty.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• vanman

it says in the manual that you have to run a dump load
    Water or Air with solar or wind.

otherwise you will fry your battery's
    why does it have 60 amp connection posts ?

when the voltage rises to the bulk 14.6v setting when the sun shines and a lot of hours have passed.
    The controller gradually reduces the voltage to the float voltage on 12v its around 13.6v.
    but the battery's still have high amps and high volts pressure coming from the sun.

So where does it go

Into the DUMP LOAD

SO YOU DON'T FRY YOUR BATTERY'S

Any more questions please while I am installing Windows Xp on another Pc

Ps I dont have a house or a dishwasher but I also have a 1000w 24v Wind turbine.
  • mike95490

Wind or hydro need a dump load, to keep the turbine speed down.

The C-series controllers are PWM controllers( a series FET) , and in the solar mode, they just disconnect the panels from the batteries. No excess heat. no dump load.
    PV Panels don't care if they have anything connected to them or not.

If you have solar and wind and hydro all running to the battery, and have controller rigged as a voltage shunt, maybe that's why you think you need a load, but that would be a very un-usual configuration.

• vanman

yes you are correct for solar

I have to run Diversion Control mode because I use two sources of power input

I was wrong been busy lately
    completely forgot about that.