D.I.M.1
D.I.M.1 Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
Once again I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge for this field:cry:
What is grid and off-grid?

How are they different?

Which is better?

How are they used?

How do they function?

My only goal in life is to get my questions answered myself before they get answer and I can't tell anyone.

Comments

• GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Grid vs. Off-Grid

Grid: Power supplied by electric utility company

Off-Grid: Your own supplied electricity system cut off from Grid

Which is better ? Obviously not paying the utility company for something that can be created FREE. Well, you have to fork over tens of thousand of dollars in some cases to go off grid.

We all know how Grid systems are used.

There are partial Grid/Off Grid systems. My friend has a 1kw Solar array fed into an inverter and wired up directly to the telephone pole.
    Off Grid systems depend on the amount of electricity they produce.

How do they function ? Someone else can answer that one who can more appropriately answer it.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Xantrex has a quick explanation about the major types of home solar power.

The big issues are function (do you want to "save money", "be green", have emergency power, or you don't have utility power...

Save Money--first spend money on conservation. It is almost always cheaper to save electricity vs making it.

Going Green--Grid Tied power (solar panels connected to a special GT inverter that can synchronize with grid AC power) is the cheapest and most cost effective method of making power at home. With good sun and government rebates/credits--it can actually be cheaper than utility power in some states. Bascially, think of a GT Inverter like an AC battery charger that can 'recharge" the electric utility (push power to the utility and spin the meter backwards).

Emergency Power--Is "off grid" power. Solar panel to charge controller to battery to DC/Load and/or Off-Grid Inverter. This is actually the most expensive use of solar power. System sits unused until power is needed (a few days or weeks per year). For most people, a simple gasoline genset would be a better investment. Usually need a backup genset anyway to help in bad weather.

Off-Grid power. Making your own power (same as off-grid) but using it over 9 months of the year (3 season cabin, remote home, etc.). Usually sized a bit larger to reduce genset use to near zero for 9 months of the year. May still need some backup genset use to charge batteries during winter.

Hybrid Solar power. Basically a UPS for your home. Solar panes, charge controllers, batteries, and a special inverter that can be a GT Inverter (work with grid) and be an Off Grid inverter (no AC power, grid down). Basically a large UPS for your home.

Cost of power (very rough cost estimates):

$0.10-$0.30 per kWhr for grid power
    $0.15-$0.30 per kWhr for Grid Tied Solar
    $0.20-$0.45 per kWhr for Hybrid Solar (GT+Emergency power)
    $1.00-$2.00+ per kWhr for Off-Grid power (9+ month usage a year)

Making your own power is expensive--and if something breaks, you pay to fix it. Utility power is hard to beat. Batteries add a huge expense--both for the batteries, and their replacement every 3-10 years or so. And, battery+inverter+charge controller have more losses (less efficient) than a "simple" GT system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

indirect question on cost.

youve mentioned batteries are 3-10 years
    how long does inverters, controllers, wires last? assuming indoors and you leave them alone, always on.
  • BB.
    Options

I don't know (not in the business)--but my guess is 5-15 years on average for the electronics. Electrolytic Caps and fans are typical weak points. Thermal cycling and high temperatures are another big killer...

I used to qualify computer disk drives back in the 1980's--and two weeks in a thermal chamber cycling every 4 hours between min/max operational temperatures would kill 80% of the vendors (at the time)--mostly popping components off the board and breaking solder joints. Good drives/mfg.--I never got them to fail thermally.

Regarding temperatures--The Engineering Rule of Thumb is for every 10C increase in temperature, you cut the life by 1/2... 30C increase is 1/2*1/2*1/2=1/8th the life. Also works the other way, cooling by 10C would double life.

Keeping your equipment+batteries cool and in stable temperatures is 1/2 the battle.

Xantrex (and others probably) have a 10 year warranty on the GT Inverters (used to be 5 years).

Wiring (in conduit) should last the life of the building. I don't know how long UV rated/stable wire is "supposed to last" in sunlight. My home's utility drop is UV rated and all twisted in a bundle--so I would hope it would last the life of the installation.

Solar panels, that are not damaged or mfg. faults--should last 25-40 years (crystalline silicon panels are supposed to only have ~80% output after 20-25 years--Solar Guppy has posted before that "good panels" seem to output 100% of their power even decade(s) later).

Also--long panel life means that you may need a new roof with 40+ year rated roof covering. You don't want to install the panels on an old roof.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mshen11
    mshen11 Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

[Regarding temperatures--The Engineering Rule of Thumb is for every 10C increase in temperature, you cut the life by 1/2... 30C increase is 1/2*1/2*1/2=1/8th the life. Also works the other way, cooling by 10C would double life.]

assuming 10 years (5-15 years average) is the baseline... what is the baseline temperature to work off these general calculations? 20C?
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mshen11 wrote: »
    indirect question on cost.

you've mentioned batteries are 3-10 years
    how long does inverters, controllers, wires last? assuming indoors and you leave them alone, always on.

I have some experience here, having used inverters and battery banks for over 25 years and solar panels for ~20 years.

Man, I gotta knock wood here: I've never had an inverter or controller fail. The first inverter I bought was a Heart Interface high efficiency 2000w MSW. I replaced it a few years ago with a better one, closer to TSW (or is it PSW?). It was powering my water pump, and motors don't like MSW, so when the pump burned out I moved a Xantrex SW2500 to that circuit, and bought a Magnum to replace the Xantrex.

But I got twenty years from that Heart Interface and now it just sits in the garage. It was still operational when it was replaced for better technology.

I have a Xantrex Prowatt 2000w inverter in shipment now, to replace a Prosine 1000w inverter. No problem with the Prosine except that I added a mini-split air conditioner and I want to power it from our "lights and entertainment circuit", but the 1000w inverter isn't powerful enough. The Prosine is still working great and has been on most of every day for years.

I've bought solar panels every few years since the late eighties/early nineties. When I buy panels, the purchase always includes a controller (duhh). I now have 4 controllers (C60, two MX60s, an FM60) not counting the original C30 that I moved to our RV. I've made 6 panel investments. None have failed. All are producing as much power as they did when new (it'll be another thread that I explore the firmware revision of the FM60, which doesn't produce as much power in a day that the MX60 did on that same solar array).

I'm on my third battery bank -- 12 T-105 -- and I expect something over 8 years from a set. I have two "desulfators" (one on each end of the bank) but cannot verify that they do anything at all.

SOOOOOOOOO... my experience is that this stuff doesn't wear out or fail very often, if at all.

Phil
  • BB.
    Options

Don't know for sure... When I was designing other equipment--we assumed 95F for office and 122F for industrial.

Check the vendor specs... Some have quite low enviromental (I have seen 95F in times past). I would suggest a minimum of 50C/122F equipment rating if it will be installed in a garage/shed/outside.

-Bill

PS: Regarding what Phil says--I would hope that my system lasts longer than 5-10 years too... However, I would also have money in the bank (savings) to be able to replace/repair and failed components too.

Whether they fail from age, poor design, water leaks, or lightning strikes--the equipment will need to be repaired. And that adds to the overall life cycle costs.

The $$$/kWhr price estimates are based on retail pricing, 20 year system life, and with one battery set change out at 10 years.

Equipment may last longer than 20 years, and you may spend 2x as much money for a 2x longer lasting battery bank ($$$ does typically equal longer battery life--assuming the batteries are treated well), no interest, taxes, depreciation taken into account... While solar panels may last 40+ years--after 20 years, I am not even going predict the world will be around--let alone worry about "present value/future worth" calculations.

The numbers are estimates to help guide you to the appropriate solution for your needs. Obviously, they are just SWAGs (scientific wild a$$ guesses) and you should do your own due diligence regarding your proposed system.

If you have some numbers (cost, life, power usage, location where installed, etc.)--the basic math is pretty straight forward.

Do not look at solar RE power as an "investment" in the value of your home... From other discussions here--Grid Tied systems really only have value to the person who installed them. People may pay some fraction of the value of the RE System when they purchase a home so equipped--but others buyers will be "afraid" of the system and its "unknowns" and may discount the price of a home equipped with GT.

Similar issues with Off-Grid systems too... They have little residual value (equipment is obsolete, no parts; batteries are old, etc.).
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

I mis-spoke in my previous post.

I HAVE had a controller fail ... but I don't count it as a "failure", I count it as defective design and/or construction:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=1779

Phil
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While I don't have the 20+ years of background that PhilS has I;ve been off grid most of the last 10 years. In that time i Have had one controller failure a small scs unit that lived 5 years for me inland and 2 years on my sailboat and 3-4 years on my dad's pontoon boat before failing, pretty good for a saltwater enviroment the last half of it's life.

I've also had an inverter failure, a cheap no name quasi sine wave (not a true sine wave but lots of steps) Likely I could have saved it if I paid more attention to it, The cooling fan failed and I just opened it up and ran a small fan over it continuously. worked that way for @ a year before releasing the magic smoke. I hadn't paid much for it and got what I paid for. it liked it's input voltage 22-30 volts so every month it kicked out when I did an equalizing charge, so perhaps that helped shorten it's life. I had already purchased a never used Prosine 1800, a better option as it lives outside.

I do buy lots of used equipment. about 8 years ago I paid @$2 a watt for 3 - 55 watt French Photowatt panels made in the late 70's, when I moved 3 years ago they were producing @ 80% of their rated value (sorta, at least functionally with a 60 charge controller, measured amperage off of a Trimetric, it's rated 18+ volts could have been reduced, measure input over 2 hours at solar noon. New panels are often in this range!)

I have an old 30 amp SCSII (don't think thats correct but close) charge controller that is close to the same vintage as the panels, that was functioning fine when taken down 3 years ago for the move.

While off grid, I have no backup generator, so I, Like PhilS, have spares of most anything I need, it comes with growing a system and may be the single biggest uncalculated expense.

With bargain hunting, and installing the system my self, I figure I'm about as cheap as a home system can get. BB stated that "Grid connect" going green, I think this is an important point as most off grid systems will not produce and use as much energy as it takes to create the panels and recycle the batteries. I find lots of people who think I'm "going green", and I don't doubt that having and maintaining an off grid system I use a lot less energy than grid connected people, only in this way is an off grid system green.

I'm not saying it can't be cost effective, if you have a long run to grid connect, or very high user fees (local Elec. charges $25 per month, here before you buy any elec. or I would be grid connected)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have been off grid for 26 years. I can say that most of the early gear was very well made. I was told by the head of then Trace Engineering, that the life expectancy of their inverters was 15 years. I had one slow down at 14 years, one of my customers lost one at 13 years. The SW series has never failed, except when abused by letting a genset run out of gas while connected, a serious no no.
    Never had a controller fail. As already indicated batteries are expensive. There is no free lunch and living off grid is not cheap, but it can be very very rewarding. If you have upfront power line cost, then that can make it more practical. Life is not always about being practical.:D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think that the previous replies demonstrate some of the reliability of the hardware. I think a more basic question is "What is it you are trying to achieve?" I think it is clear that grid tie or off grid, or hybrid systems all have a place, and have shown themselves to be fairly reliable. The $64k question with off grid is life cycle battery cost/versus amount of net draw over the life cycle.

So by asking the "Why?" question you might come up with a multitude of answers, many of which are in some conflict with one another. For example, if your goal is to "stick it to the power company" and go off grid, you will most likely find that that is a fairly expensive endeavor. If your are trying to reduce your total environmental impact is going grid tie, and being able to effectively "use" 100% of your output "greener" than going with a battery based system, and therefore not be able to "use" 100% of your power. Additionally with an off grid system, basic system efficiency will be considerably less ~50% net/net for a battery system vs 90%+ for a grid tie. Additionally you have the issue of manufacture/disposal of potentially toxic batteries.

If it were I, and I had grid available, and I had money to spend on PV I would go batteryless grid tie any day of the week. I think you get more bang for your buck, have fewer failure points, and are most likely doing the best for the environment.

That said,,, as Bill and other have suggested I wouldn't even consider going with PV for any reason until I had done EVERY conservation improvement I could think of, and then some more! As I have always suggested, it is crazy (IMHO) to fire up a big grid tie system and not replace the light bulbs in your house with good CFLs, or insulate the attic or what ever. I also suggest that dollar for dollar solar hot water, in most climes is a faster payback investment.

So, do you homework, read and understand all you can, ask all the questions and you will begin to see what answer is correct for you. By doing so you will avoid the most expensive pitfall of all RE and that is the Ready, Fire, Aim syndrome.

Good luck and welcome to the forum,

Tony
  • D.I.M.1
    D.I.M.1 Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

GreenPowerManiac you're a wonder, thanks for putting it in terms that an idiot like me can understand. My project will definitely have to use off-grid power to function otherwise it wouldn't really be efficient.

In the words of a Chinese take out bag:
    Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

My only goal in life is to get my questions answered myself before they get answer and I can't tell anyone.

As posted before, I have a large hybrid off grid sytem which was not cheap but brings satisfaction and independance.

For what I spent on our system, sure, I probably could have brought the grid to us but the problems that come with it too. Most important bringing the grid nearby would have put the ranch's conservation value and our lifestyle in jeopardy.

We balanced these considerations with living comfortably. Everyday, we work very hard on the land and reward ourselves.

I have come to understand there are many types of "value" in this life. Everyone has a different opinion of what "cost" is when compared to how you want to live.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Mangas wrote: »
    As posted before, I have a large hybrid off grid sytem which was not cheap but brings satisfaction and independance.

For what I spent on our system, sure, I probably could have brought the grid to us but the problems that come with it too. Most important bringing the grid nearby would have put the ranch's conservation value and our lifestyle in jeopardy.

We balanced these considerations with living comfortably. Everyday, we work very hard on the land and reward ourselves.

I have come to understand there are many types of "value" in this life. Everyone has a different opinion of what "cost" is when compared to how you want to live.

Very well said, and I thoroughly agree.
    I live off grid so I can enjoy an unusual life, I live deep in a forest, wildlife on the front porch and coyotes and deer in the back yard, not to mention bear scrapes 100M from the house, when I hear a noise at night my only concern is what one of the critters has gotten into. At the same time, I am only 25 minutes from a city full of people and an occupation that supported this privileged life style. I am glad most people are practical, I do not wish to compete for places like this:D But give it some thought, break loose and try for a different lifestyle, it can be a heck of a reward. I do know it helped create two very independent sucessful children, now adults. cheers.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm a bit of an oddball in this. I live right in the heart of suburbia, with a (traditionally, anyway) reliable grid, yet I installed a small off-grid system. The reason? I sat for a couple days with no power after an ice storm, and other areas were out for - in a few cases - almost two weeks! I can't imagine spending all that money on a grid-tie system that's useless if the grid goes down - I'd at least want a hybrid system.

I know the "cost effective" answer to that is to buy a generator. But who wants to have to feed a generator 24x7, or even just all day? I live alone, so when I'm asleep or at work I can't have it running yet still want some backup. I could have gone with just a big UPS, but I have always liked solar and wanted something to play with - not a bank of batteries that sat there doing nothing for a long time.

I did consider doing a hybrid system, using either the Xantrex XW system or adding an inverter to the Outback FM-80 I currently use, but I did draw the line there over the added cost. I still have some other things to do with my cash before I go that far... I also (again) like to be able to experiment with the system, and going grid-tie requires inspections and such, which means I'm not as free to tinker or change things.

My small system won't run the whole house, but it keeps the ham radio bench, a computer and internet connection going 24x7, and if/when the outages do happen I can run lights and the fridge off of it. Without the drone of a generator! 8) Although I do have a small generator as well, to run larger loads like the furnace.

I've already used the system in outages too. This past summer, I have had two mornings where the power went out for over two hours. Both times I was busy working on the computer - and didn't miss a beat. I was also able to light things up so I could make breakfast, shower and dress, all the usual morning things. The last one, all my clothes were halfway through drying in the (gas) dryer. Plugged it into the inverter, and was able to let it finish the cycle. (At 5:30AM no less, I wouldn't have wanted to drag a generator out that early anyway!)

For the first 25-30 years of my life I don't remember ever having outages more than 15-20 minutes, and those were quite rare too. The past few years have been awful. I've had two multi-day outages due to ice storms, and a number of hour-long or more outages for - well - who knows why. The power company never says!
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well said too Solorone.

The only hybrid part of my off grid system is the propane that fuels the furnaces. Everything else the sun takes care 24/7.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers