EnergyStar is it graded like the EU system

nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
Hi I often see mentioned that white goods have a Energystar rating is it similar to the EU system described below or one sticker fits all that meet the requirement.

Currently most white goods (freezers, fridges, dishwashers and washing machines included) are required by EU law to display a label stating the energy efficiency of the appliance using a 7 stage system. The efficiency ranges from an A grade (most efficient) to a G grade (least efficient), while two new rating having been introduced subsequently to keep up with technological advances, the A+ grade and the A++ grade. Since 1998 products that have been tested and have received a E, F or G have been banned from sale in the EU.

UK households spend £3 billion powering consumer electronics every year (source: The Energy Saving Trust) yet the current EU Energy Labelling system designed to help us save money in electricity consumption is over 15 years old. The European Household Appliance Association (source: CECED) states that on average European domestic appliance manufacturers have been able to gain a 20% increase in efficiency every 4 years without any rise in cost to European consumers, show how far technology has moved on since the introduction of the EU’s efficiency labelling scheme first began. However the EU has recently voted to overhaul the current ratings system to ensure that the most efficient appliances are able to be distinguished from current A grade appliances, currently 72% of fridges today are A rated compared to 4% in 1999 (source: Which? Consumer advice). The A+ and A++ will be replaced by A-20%, A-40% etc grades to indicate how the energy savings compare to a Class A appliance. The new labelling system will come into force in 2011 for fridges and freezers with other products following after.

Nigel

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: EnergyStar is it graded like the EU system

It always boils down to "it ought to be a law":
    Flat-screen TVs to face energy efficiency rules in California
    Reporting from Sacramento — That 52-inch, flat-screen television on the family room wall may have a terrific picture, but there's a big drawback: It's an energy hog.

State regulators are getting ready to curb the growing power gluttony of TV sets by drafting the nation's first rules to require retailers to sell only the most energy-efficient televisions starting in 2011.

The consumer electronics industry opposes the new regulations, expected to pass in mid-2009, and claims that they could remove some TVs from store shelves and slightly boost sticker prices.
    But the California Energy Commission is looking for ways to relieve the power grid. Officials say the proposed standards, once fully in place, would reduce the state's annual energy needs by the same amount of power consumed by 86,400 homes.

During a peak TV-viewing time when most of the state's TV sets are on, such as the Super Bowl, they collectively suck up the equivalent of 40% of the power generated by the San Onofre nuclear power station when it's running full blast. Televisions account for about 10% of the average Californian's monthly household electricity bill.

Some manufacturers could struggle to meet the new standards, particularly those that make plasma TVs. And the regulations could create a gray market, sending consumers intent on buying power-hungry models to Amazon.com and other Internet retailers based outside the state.

Television sales are growing by 4 million a year, and the vast majority are flat-panels. LCD -- liquid crystal display -- sets on average use 43% more electricity than conventional, picture-tube TVs, and larger models proportionately more. Plasma TVs, which command a relatively small piece of the market, need over three times as much power as bulky, old-style sets.

The regulations would be phased in over two years, with a first tier taking effect on Jan. 1, 2011, and a more stringent second tier on Jan. 1, 2013. Purchasers of Tier 1-compliant TVs would shave an average of $18.48 off a residential electric bill in the first year of ownership, the Energy Commission estimates. Tier 2 sets would save an additional $11.76 a year.

Over the years, California has pioneered similar tough standards for appliances, home insulation and food service equipment that eventually were adopted by the federal government and promoted to consumers with utility rebate programs.
    And yet, at the end of the article--how much will this new law affect was is already being sold?:
    What's more, Rosenfeld noted that a number of television makers already produce models that meet the proposed commission efficiency standards and, indeed, 87% of current stock complies with the planned 2011 threshold. That deadline may be pushed back a bit if industry needs a little more time "to get used to the standards," he said.
    So--a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of total energy use... :roll:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

One of the local retailers is pushing LED TV's now.

Any thoughts/comments?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Actually the LED TV should be pretty neat... Colored LED's have good life (vs plasma)... And you are only power the light source when needed (unlike LCD which has a bright set of CFL's in back, with the LCD color filter in front).

I am not an AV person that goes nuts over TV picture quality--so I don't know how the LED stacks up against the "gold standard" of a good old picture tube TV.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the local retailers is pushing LED TV's now.

Any thoughts/comments?

Organic LED's have a 4-5 year lifetime, which depends how much you watch TV, or how long you expect it to last. ( that may be about as long as the lead free tin solder stays whisker free !)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

My point, which I forgot to make because my brain shut down half-way through the post again,:grr is that they claim the LED sets use less energy than LCD. I can see how this would be so, but sometimes things don't work out in reality the way they do in theory. :p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

the led models are not as good from the side from what i understand so frontal viewing is better. all other specs appear to look better.

nigel,
    as to our energy star stuff, i really couldn't tell you much about it as it was born of our government and i really couldn't say what their standards and requirements are. i suppose it is a go or no go system for rating efficiency designed for the knowledge challenged people here. for appliances they go one step further by showing roughly what the electricity costs over a year would be at a certain cost per kwh. what i do know is that the e star 32in lcd tv i am considering to replace one of my current non e star 20in crt tvs with is twice the power consumption and 3 times the cost. it's like giving a thumbs up to an 8 cylinder truck and the 6 cylinder family car gets nothing.:confused:
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Some input on LED back light LCD compared to CFL back light LCD. I just got one of the new Apple 24" LED Cinema display for home. I have a Dell 24" LCD at work. The Kill-A-Watt meter has this to say. With both displays set to 50% the Dell was at 59 watts and the Apple was at 28 watts.

I know, not the best test. But with out a light meter, it is the best I can do.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    n3qik wrote: »
    I just got one of the new Apple 24" LED Cinema display for home. I have a Dell 24" LCD at work. The Kill-A-Watt meter has this to say. With both displays set to 50% the Dell was at 59 watts and the Apple was at 28 watts.

There are a lot of other variables in the design. One other check is to see what the two are consuming with backlight all the way down, or off if you can get there.

It mostly depends on driver circuitry for LED or Flourescent more then the two types of backlight. With good efficient drivers the LED has a slight edge.

The worst I have ever seen is the Sharp 65" LCD at about 450 watts.