TV energy star rating

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a link that goes thru the different modes for the energy star change.
The old energy star rating was based on how much the unit used when off.
The latest has ratings when on and includes ways to reduce usage. I think they may have got something right for a change........

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/?tag=mncol;txt
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Re: TV energy star rating

Part of the idea behind Energy Star is to keep pushing. Products that were acceptable in the beginning often aren't anymore.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Old TV's with picture tubes kept the filament in the tube hot all the time, thus they were always drawing power so you would not have to wait 3 minutes for the TV to warm up.

Since only about 1/1000th of TV's now are tube type, that is an obsolete criteria.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Both of my HDTVs are energy star rated. Great, can hang both of them on my small alt-power setup. Almost no parasitic load when not in use.

Unfortunately, the cablebox is a power pig. On or off, consumes 20 Watts. 480 Watts in a day, ouch. The hard drive inside the box is always clicking away, even though no show is being recorded, and the power light is off. Both boxes have the same results on the Kill-A-Watt. Wish there would be a push to get the cable company equipment on the energy star kick.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the cablebox is a power pig. On or off, consumes 20 Watts. 480 Watts in a day, ouch.

20 watts * 24 hours per day = 480 Watt*Hours = 0.48 kWhrs per day

The drains do add-up... That is what my run-of-the-mill laptop consume (20-30 watts) when operating... Near 0 watts when in "sleep" mode.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini

The point of my posting this link is that if you pick the right TV you can get a 25% reduction in power from one bought 2 years ago. Some of the gain is in the power supplies, some in the LCD manufacturing, and some in having a button on the remote that optimizes power usage.

The really nice thing for me was I was able to replace a 42" LCD with a 46" and use less power by 15% or more depending on ambient lighting. There is a very nice chart in the link at the start of this thread that is going to be kept up to date by CNET.

GP, I like your style and this could really go with the solar clothes line and my favorite toy this year the electronic handheld bug zapper. The bug zapper is on Amazon for $12 and if you were sitting out in the yard with the fan watching the clothes dry the only thing that could ruin the experience would be a yellow jacket.
    Are there any people who would mind me saying that it is very satisfying to end the life of a yellow jacket or mud dabber. And for barbecue, you have got to get one!

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There are new LED based projectors available now... Here is a cheap one from Amazon. I could not find any power specifications--but for $100, it is almost worth buying one just to see how well it works.

Won't be the brightest one out there--but if you want 60 inch TV display at low power--I would bet that this guy would work well (in a near dark room) if you are looking for very low power consumption (listed under toys--so, this is not a high power/quality conference room projector).

Can run off of 4x D cell batteries (not bad). Probably only has Composite video (no RGB interface) and an internal speaker (stereo connection, but don't know if stereo speakers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini

The energy star 3.0 compliant should be listed in the specification to be precise.

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

here is the link to energy star approved tvs.
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=TV
  • Dave Angelini

I did try the government list but got suspicious because many models had the same power listed and it was data from the manufacturer and even worse from the government. The link to the list I posted is from CNET who actually did the testing. Pretty decent job if you have time to read it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/t...?tag=mncol;txt

• niel

thanks for the link, but it leads nowhere. i'll investigate it further unless you find it first.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »

Wow Neil, Great timely link!

The Vizio VA220E which is energy star rated and claims an average of 23 watts is rated at 39 watts in the guide!

I'll look into the Tantug at <20 watts the only TV significantly lower, in catagory. I do Like that Wally world is selling the Vizio....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

I think the 'piggy' award goes to Sharp 65" LCD at close to 500 watts.
  • Dave Angelini
    niel wrote: »
    thanks for the link, but it leads nowhere. i'll investigate it further unless you find it first.

Not sure why, the link at the start of the thread, my first post works?????

Here is a copy of the link at the start of the thread

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/?tag=mncol;txt

OK this one works above. I guess you can not just copy it???

• niel

ok that one works. i don't know why, but many of the sets i was looking at aren't on that list.
  • Dave Angelini

The reason that sets may not be on the CNET list is they have not tested them......
    They are private and actually do the testing! They are not bozo's in Washington coping info from manufacturers who may have some bias in how they measure and report power consumption. I am not saying the energy star 3.0 list is not useful but I am saying I would be skeptical and if you know how they come up with the power specs you can test them yourself. I found the CNET article very useful and thought I would share it.

• homerramirez
    homerramirez Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi guys, in few words, which is the most efficient tv on a 55 in. screen range?...
    my 13 yrs. old 32 in. tube sanyo draws around .55 amps = 66 watts?, what will be reasonable wattage on a 55 in. (LCD) tv.?

I hope this question is not hijacking the thread. (if it does, my apology.)
  • Dave Angelini

Just about anything with LED backlight will outperform LCD FL backlight energy wise and performance wise. Mucho denaro this year. Next year might be good for the big ones as they gear up and pay for the engineering.