Testing actual power of Panels

Options
cswaite
cswaite Solar Expert Posts: 46
Ok. Quick question. If my charge controller shows for example 5.5 AMPS coming in on the display of the controller, but when I put my multimeter leads to the positive and negative screw going into the controller it shows 6.5 AMPS, would the correct Amps, be the reading from the meter rather than the controller (which I think is probably not so accurate). I bought one of the Juta controllers, I know they arent the best controllers, was just wondering what others think my correct AMPS would be in this situation.

Thank You

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Testing actual power of Panels
    cswaite wrote: »
    Ok. Quick question. If my charge controller shows for example 5.5 AMPS coming in on the display of the controller, but when I put my multimeter leads to the positive and negative screw going into the controller it shows 6.5 AMPS, would the correct Amps, be the reading from the meter rather than the controller (which I think is probably not so accurate). I bought one of the Juta controllers, I know they arent the best controllers, was just wondering what others think my correct AMPS would be in this situation.

Thank You

I would place more trust in the multimeter testing the wiring from the panels directly than I would in the display of the controller.

Are the screws tight on the wiring going into the controller? (Just checking.)
  • cswaite
    Options

Yes, the screws are tight. I might buy a higher quality charge controller.

Do you think even if the controller is displaying approx. 1 amp below what the meter says I am still getting that 1 amp to the batteries?
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the screws are tight. I might buy a higher quality charge controller.

Do you think even if the controller is displaying approx. 1 amp below what the meter says I am still getting that 1 amp to the batteries?

I doubt it. More likely the controller display is showing what is going into the batteries, while the missing 1a is what the controller is consuming.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options
    Ok. when I put my multimeter leads to the positive and negative screw going into the controller

This is the incorrect way to test amps. That is the way to test for voltage.

To test for amps/current, you need to remove one wire from the panel going to the controller. Then take one wire from meter and attach it to that wire from panel. Now take the other wire from the meter and attach it to the controller lug you just removed the wire from.

This is called a series connection, this is how you measure amps.
  • cswaite
    Options
    n3qik wrote: »
    This is the incorrect way to test amps. That is the way to test for voltage.

To test for amps/current, you need to remove one wire from the panel going to the controller. Then take one wire from meter and attach it to that wire from panel. Now take the other wire from the meter and attach it to the controller lug you just removed the wire from.

This is called a series connection, this is how you measure amps.

Ok, ill give it a try. Thank you.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suggest that you read the manual for your multi-meter as many can only handle some number of milliamps, not full current 6.5 amps!

A good way to toast a meter if you do it incorrectly.

Icarus

PS. that is what shunts are for!
  • cswaite
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    I suggest that you read the manual for your multi-meter as many can only handle some number of milliamps, not full current 6.5 amps!

A good way to toast a meter if you do it incorrectly.

Icarus

PS. that is what shunts are for!

My meter has a 10AMP DC setting.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My meter has a 10AMP DC setting.

You may also have to move one of the meter leads, to a jack on the meter
    labeled 10A
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,