EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

You can save the functional parts (inverter, carb, cases, etc.) to for your own repairs or piece them out on EBay...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

At the time there wasn't an overbore kit available so it was done.

When we moved up to the old ranch house, believe it ir not we ran it using those generators; length of time dependant on occupancy during the day/night. Over four years we used them exclusively until the new ranch house was built. The old ranch house was wired for 12V too i.e. a 12v lighting and water system. We also had an old 12V battery that ran 12v lights during the late evening.

The generator ran normally 3 hours in the AM and 4-7 hours in the PM. The EU 2000 ran lights, two portable swamp coolers, 12V shurflo pump etc. Amazing how cheaply you can live if you choose to. We never ran more than one at a time.

My wife was good sport.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • thorsness
    thorsness Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the good advice about my Honda EU2000. Backing off the vent from the ON position about half an inch did the trick. I also added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Next, I'll clean the spark arrestor. Sounds like "Seafoam" is good for that job. We are now getting enough sun that the PV cell will start charging the batteries just fine, if the volcano doesn't blot out the sun. If that happens, I guess we'll go geothermal.

JB
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    thorsness wrote: »
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the good advice about my Honda EU2000. Backing off the vent from the ON position about half an inch did the trick. I also added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Next, I'll clean the spark arrestor. Sounds like "Seafoam" is good for that job. We are now getting enough sun that the PV cell will start charging the batteries just fine, if the volcano doesn't blot out the sun. If that happens, I guess we'll go geothermal.

JB

Glad that worked for you JB. From your description of the problem I'd have bet that it would.

Pass the tip on when you see others with the generators as there's no other way they'll find it out. You know it's gotta be affecting hundreds if not thousands of these units.

Phil
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭

Synthetic oils are good, They do improve performance,emissions, cold starting and longevity of an Engine, but there are downsides to them if used incorrectly,

you should not use them on a freshly built engine, Use a low to mid grade mineral oil to run the engine in, then change to synth, If not you may get bore glazing, resulting in oil usage, other parts will also not "run in" properly,
    Something that has been used in motor sport for many years, Some European cars have now adopted the same procedure (leave first 1000 mile service until 1500m at your peril, warrante is void :roll:)

Have a good one
    Tim
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

It's funny the use of synthetic oils on break ins has come up. I honestly don't know which way I would go, probably use recommended oil then switch. The funny part is the VW myth is they put in non synthetic oil for break in and say it should stay in for at least 1000 miles. One of the TDI club members sent the oil in and it was synthetic. After that two other did as well and all three were found to be synthetic. Then I saw a similar thread on a Toyota forum, running synthetic from the factory.

I don't know enough about it to say one way or another, but it seems this might be a thing of the past? Or is there really something to it?

I can say synthetic typically reduces fuel consumption, some significantly more than others. I was running ELF CRV and saw about 5 mpg (from 55 to 60 mpg) improvement over a years span and recently switched back to Mobil Delvac 1 and saw it drop right back down. Then again Delvac 1 is $6 a quart and ELF CRV is $15 a quart…
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Sorry for the butt in but I too have an EU2000i that only runs smoothe when the choke is closed half way. I've taken it to the dealer where it was purchased but they are in the dark also. how can I fix this surgeing problem?

I guess I'm not sorry for interrupting. there isnt anyone there. figures! if you ever return, My EU 2000i surges with a light load or no load. it too will run smoothe with the choke closed half way. and I would like to fix this problem if possible. I've cleaned the screen. the Tank the carb. blew out the lines and replaced the plug and air filter.changed the oil and kicked the heck out of it but it still surges.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Cecil;

This is a forum, not a live chat. Sometimes it takes quite a while before you get a response - even from us generally vigilant Moderators. :roll:

The last previous post on this particular thread was in 2009 - it's two years dead. I think it deals with just what you describe, so have a read-through (clean out engine by running "Sea Foam" through it).
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Life and Death of a Honda EU 2000

Bought Feb 2011
    First used May 2011

First 10 hours 10w30 dino break in oil, never pulled more that 10 amps.

Changed to Mobile 1

After oil change, heard a piston slap, rattle sounds.

At 20 hrs surging and smoking from blowby and oil being sucked into the air box.

It's off to Honda today to see how good their warranty is. As it is now it would make a good fog machine.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Life and Death of a Honda EU 2000

Bought Feb 2011
    First used May 2011

First 10 hours 10w30 dino break in oil, never pulled more that 10 amps.

Changed to Mobile 1

After oil change, heard a piston slap, rattle sounds.

At 20 hrs surging and smoking from blowby and oil being sucked into the air box.

It's off to Honda today to see how good their warranty is. As it is now it would make a good fog machine.

For contrast: my EU1000i has 6,000+ hours on it. Regular oil changes - with "ordinary" (and admittedly the cheapest I can find) 10W-30 oil.

The difference between pressure lubricated auto engines and splash-lubes small types, perhaps? Synthetic may be too slick to adhere properly in the latter application resulting in a lack of lubrication of rings and cylinder sleeve, valves.

This is why us old guys stick with what works and berate new-fangled inventions. :p
  • PhilS
    Sorry for the butt in but I too have an EU2000i that only runs smoothe when the choke is closed half way. I've taken it to the dealer where it was purchased but they are in the dark also. how can I fix this surgeing problem?

I guess I'm not sorry for interrupting. there isnt anyone there. figures! if you ever return, My EU 2000i surges with a light load or no load. it too will run smoothe with the choke closed half way. and I would like to fix this problem if possible. I've cleaned the screen. the Tank the carb. blew out the lines and replaced the plug and air filter.changed the oil and kicked the heck out of it but it still surges.

Welcome to the forum Cecil,

I had a similar problem on a eu1000i and it turned out to be a problem with the gas cap, which I suspect is the same as used on the 2000. When you turn the cap to "on", it involves sliding the little lever to the right until it sets into a detent. What I found was that the "detent" was too low, and when the lever was in that position, there was insufficient air flow for venting the tank. It would take awhile to reach that situation so the gen would operate normally for a time, then start surging.

Backing the lever off a quarter-inch (so that it was out of the detent postion and raised slightly higher) permanently solved the problem.

I hope your's is as easy to fix.

Phil
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Coot, well my 1000i doesn't have 6000 hrs on it yet, had it for close to 10 years though, and have used Opti 4 http://www.opti2-4.com/opti-4.htm semi- synthetic oil in it since it went through the breakin oil.

It hasn't been easy going either as the wife uses it to run her vacuum and occasionally I have tried to push the 40A charger with it... don't know why it wants to groan and then quit ;):roll:

The only thing I can say that I noticed is that when pulling the start cord after a week sitting there is considerable resistance for the first 3 or 4 pulls, then off she goes. ( I get the same resistance from the 2 cycle boat motor and weed whacker with Opti 2 oil) It is like turning over a real high compression motor.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget to pull the muffler and clean the spark arrestor cannister every once in awhile.

I bought a few extra exhaust gaskets to keep on hand. I reuse them until they get worn out.

I tried rebuilding one of my EU 1,000's but it didn't last more than 20 hours before using oil and blowing smoke again.

My EU 2000s' have lasted longer hour wise than my 1000s'. For the small difference in price the larger inverter seems to be the way to go.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Having several Honda EU generators is a good thing.

The EU generator that I use most often is the EU1000, primarily because it is so light and portable. Only about 30 Lbs, wet, and is capable for many things that require portable power.

The Eu2000 will grudgingly run a Skill 77 saw etc, so it, too, has a place, but my EU2000 is the least often used here ... BUT, it will run a small A/C etc, so it has its place as well.

To me, the EU3000 Original), is the sweetest in the line. Quieter, longer run time etc ... great for battery charging.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Blackcherry04

I dropped my EU 2000 off at the shop yesterday. They sounded like they'd put a new block , rings and piston in it.

I would take the blame, if I felt I had done something wrong to it. I followed their directions for break-in and used dino 10-30.

If Mobil 1 is the issue, they should spell it out. All the Manual say is that you should use better than a SJ rated 10-30W oil, Mobil 1 is SM.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Blackcherry04, did the unit not come 'pre-lubricated' from the dealer (dealer prep)? Our local Honda dealer does this to all units he sell, gens, quads, M/c's, boat motors, weed whackers, etc... safer for him, as no OOPPS I forgot to fill the oil etc...

ej

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Blackcherry04
    westbranch wrote: »
    Blackcherry04, did the unit not come 'pre-lubricated' from the dealer (dealer prep)? Our local Honda dealer does this to all units he sell, gens, quads, M/c's, boat motors, weed whackers, etc... safer for him, as no OOPPS I forgot to fill the oil etc...

ej
    No, It was a E-bay Purchase " New " . It was new, it passed the sniff test on the gas tank. It comes with a big yellow tag wired on the start handle that it is shipped dry and must be filled with oil ( .42 qt ) before starting. I don't know how anyone could miss it. You know Murphy. It would be the Chicken or the Egg to try to guess why it went south. The dealer I took it to had $6,000 mower with 2 hrs on it sitting there smoking as bad as it does, so I guess it happens.
  • oglethorp
    oglethorp Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭

Just had a deal with my EU2000 recently. Ran fine, shut it off,, went to start it a few days later,, no compression..
    Couldn t figure it out,, took it to a Honda dealer, 2 hundred and change later It was carbon build up that stuck the exhaust valve.
    THEY say that they have very many issues with carbon building up due to the ethenal in the gas. So I will start using a additive that should prevent carbon buildup.
    Plus I ll run it at full throttle before shutting it down for a couple on mins
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Are you looking at Sea Foam?
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • PhilS

(Dang, I only read page one and didn't realize I'd already posted this answer on page two... oops. I thought it was another Honda thread altogether)

There is another inherent problem with these Hondas. Mine is an EU1000i but it uses the same gas cap as the 2000.

Putting the gas cap to the "run" position involves turning a lever clockwise into a detent. The detent is too low and running the generator for awhile can cause a vacuum in the gas tank, which will cause surging. Taking the cap off (like to add gas or Seafoam or Stabil or nothing) will allow the gen to run normally for awhile, until the load is big enough and it's run long enough to start surging again.

Putting the choke partway on will stop the surging since it's reducing the intake air flow to match the reduced gas flow.

I found it a difficult problem to diagnose for that reason --- it'd start surging and as soon as the gas cap was removed, the vacuum was gone and it'd run fine again.

If you simply "back off" the lever on the gas cap 1/4" to the left, it raises the vent higher out of that detent and the problem will not return.

VERY easy to try and a good chance it'll fix the problem.

Phil

• feedhorn
    feedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    oglethorp wrote: »
    Just had a deal with my EU2000 recently. Ran fine, shut it off,, went to start it a few days later,, no compression..
    Couldn t figure it out,, took it to a Honda dealer, 2 hundred and change later It was carbon build up that stuck the exhaust valve.
    THEY say that they have very many issues with carbon building up due to the ethenal in the gas. So I will start using a additive that should prevent carbon buildup.

Yep, that is a typical problem with these Inverter generators that spend too much time running slow under light load. The genny doesn't get hot enough and gas from the carb condenses on the intake valve and causes a gooey buildup. Eventually the intake valve sticks open. You can fix this without much teardown. Just take the carburetor and top valve cover off. Then spray carb cleaner on the valve stem through the intake while operating the valve from the top. When valve gets loose again, re-assemble and you are back in business.

FH
  • bobdog
    bobdog Solar Expert Posts: 192 ✭✭
    oglethorp wrote: »

What additive would that be?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sea Foam seems to be popular as both a gasoline preservative and as an upper end cleaner/lubricant. Also, supposed to be good for cleaning out the small jets on the Honda's.

I have tried it as a fuel stabilizer--Seems to work OK (I cycle my stored fuel once per year). At least in the local parts store, is much more expensive than other fuel stabilizers on a $$$/gallon of fuel basis.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

sea foam worked great on my generator that had a bit of leftover fuel in the carb. i stored it and it gummed up preventing me from using it at the 2nd snow storm of 2 in successive weeks and one of the worst snow storms of the year that year. after the sea foam soaked into it for some time (a day perhaps with temps between 0 and 20 degrees) i pulled the rope multiple times to push the gunk through and then used spray starting fluid to help kick it over. that's some good stuff for sure. it also saved me from needing a new fuel pump on my previous car.
  • feedhorn
    feedhorn Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

Rule #1 is to always use Premium Fuel in small engines that will stay in storage from time to time. Premium fuel is formulated to last longer because gas stations sell less of it than they do regular. I think that you will find that just using premium without stabilizers will work out best.

Mid-grade Plus fuel is better than regluar because they mix regular and premium in a 50/50 mix to make the Plus grade and this itself is much more stable than regular.

FH
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i would not count on premium gasoline to have a stabilizer in it and if it should you would be gambling on how much is there not to mention how old the fuel already is. this could be found out the hard way, but why chance it and pay more for the fuel too so just buy your gas as usual and put in your own stabilizer.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

2 quick points.

1 drain all fuel from small engines when you store then for more than a month or so. Especially run the carbs dry.

Second, run these engines under full load for ~1 hour in 10. As has been nots before, carbon build up is an issue.

Finally (I know, that is three) learn how to take these things apart, and put them back together. Paying someone a couple hundred dollars to decarbonize a small engine is silly. A few minutes, with a few wrenches can save a bunch of money. Certainly DIY is not for everyone, nor for everything' but simple engines are,,simple.

Tony
  • techntrek

That's why I asked him on the last page (last post on page 5) if he was looking at Sea Foam. I've always heard good things about it, especially de-carbonizing small engines by pouring it into the intake.

I have Sea Foam in all 3 of my car's oil systems right now, and in one of their gas tanks. Two of them are due for an oil change so I'm doing some heavy cleaning since the filters will be swapped out soon. It says you can run it in the oil all the time but I'm not comfortable with that - I would rather wait until near the end of the change cycle so the gunk that gets worked loose is removed fairly quickly.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    .... It says you can run it in the oil all the time but I'm not comfortable with that - I would rather wait until near the end of the change cycle so the gunk that gets worked loose is removed fairly quickly.

What if it just softens it up, and the fresh oil puts it back into suspension ??? (Like changing transmission fluid washes the bands of loose compound, and you need a rebuild in 2 weeks) You can't win!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek

I'm going to keep a closer eye on the oil on the 2 of the 3 vehicles that are higher mileage (105k/8 years and 176k/18 years), and probably go with a shorter interval to the next oil change. I had the same worry. The 3rd car is only at 65k and 3 years.