Electronics Equipment Safety

shastaron
shastaron Registered Users Posts: 24
I couldn't figure where to put this so I will give it a shot here.

We are moving to our temporary residence off-grid while we build the main house off-grid.

Until we get the full system up and running we may be using a portable generator part of the time. I am looking at a Onan HomeSite or a Honda 6500. My concern is for the sensitive electronics equipment like the computer and my wives embroidery sewing machine with internal computer.

If I fry her sewing machine I might as well move out.

When the generator is supplying power do I need to do anything else besides a normal surge protector? Should I be concerned about the electrical quality?

Thanks,
Ron

Comments

• Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Electronics Equipment Safety

I ran a laptop, TVs' and electronics with a Honda EU2000 for 18 months without a surge protector.

No ill effects.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only use the sewing mach on true sine wave. If your generators say they can safely run sensitive electronics from them, I think you will be OK, but I can't guarantee it.

Or you can look for a vendor that sells a sinewave power conditioning UPS (aka On-line UPS) they waste 10% or so of the delivered power, because they do a DC - AC conversion to guarantee clean AC. Plain UPS pass all the power line spikes thru, till the power fails, and then they take a couple cycles before they kick in

http://www.falconups.com/products-online.htm
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you'll probably be fine with a generator. when powering up or down the generator, have the appliances off as this is most likely the times problems could develope. to be sure i'm understood here, the appliances will be in the off position when you start the genny and wait a few minutes if necessary for it to warm or settle and when you are ready to shut the genny off, turn off the appliances first.
  • shastaron
    shastaron Registered Users Posts: 24

Thanks for the posts guys. I feel like I might need to run the sewing machine off a UPS or Line Conditioner. They are pretty sensitive. Plus if momma ain't happy, no one will be happy.

Ron
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Susan ran her Genome machine of a MSW inverter for years. I don't know if I would recommend it, but it seemed to work fine. We now use a True Sine wave inverter.

Tony