Wattage consumption on security lights

Hello all,

Just bought a couple of outdoor motion security lights. I was planning on installing outdoor cfl's in them. The boxes are sealed, and I was wondering if any one new how much they use in standby mode before I open them?

Thanks,

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wattage consumption on security lights

I'll GUESS at no more than 5 watts each. Do they have photocells to keep them off in the daytime, then daytime should drop to 1 watt.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Plug them into a kill-a watt...

Icarus
  • tripster
    tripster Registered Users Posts: 14

Thanks for the replies. They do shut down in the daytime. Killowatt is my next purchase.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yeah, probably a lot less than 5 watts. Wouldn't be surprised to see about 1 watt at all times when the lights aren't on. Have had many apart over the years and not much in there to use power. Nothing runs hot, or even warm on the little circuit board of any that I investigated. The biggest consumer, other than the actual lights, is probably the relay coil, and that wouldn't be much. Everything else on the board is very low power.
    Wayne