Schneider XW and Fortress Evault closed loop

Options
Mtnsun
Mtnsun Registered Users Posts: 25 ✭✭
Hello everyone 
I am checking in to see if anyone is running a Schneider XW Pro with XW MPPT 100 amp CC in closed loop with a fortress Evault max? I have been told by fortress tech support there is a problem with the battery communicating with the Xw charge controller in closed loop communication, he said when the battery is full it will turn off the charge controller.
He said I should try updating the firmware on the battery to the newest firmware.
So I am waiting for a configuration tool.
This seems like a minor configuration situation between the 2 companies evolving firmware, and could only apply to the newest Schneider firmware/ old Fortress firmware.
I have a XW PRO and Evault system operating great in open loop right now but I am hoping to run closed loop soon. 
Anyone else have any experience with this? 

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried to help an installer (remote view on my end) do similar with the Fortress E flex. We never  were able to "close the loop" Never had any indication that the E flex was receiving the canbus control  from (2) different  Schneider Gateways or that E flex was outputting correct data.  

I know the Schneider part by heart and even though Fortress Engineering said they have a system working, I believe it was on their end. They sent a tech out and it got to the point where my client had to cut his losses.

The system is working fine now closed loop with another battery make.

Just a bad outcome. We had firmware Insight at v1.18 and XWP at v2.0400. The canbus wiring was correct. I think the Fortress tech reloaded BMS FW but I was remote viewing this. 

Schneider provides the battery companies with canbus and modbus mapping for the Conext home or facility. They are the Gateway BTW into a BMS being closed loop with Schneider products. This may not help much other than knowing others are out there. Sorry for you!

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Mtnsun
    edited January 18 #3
    Options
    Dave, thanks for your input.
    I also have insight Facility at v1.18 and XWP 2.04.00 build 29 
    Have you witnessed any closed loop communication between schneider and Fortress actually work? 
    It was definitely a huge surprise to me when I was told the closed loop communication might not ever work from the Fortress tech because its not a all in one inverter. I watched a Fortress power and Schneider webinar recording on YouTube with both companies detailing how this combination works,  there is also lots of information floating around on websites and sales brochures that this combination will work.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    That is the problem with YouTube and the internet. All kinds of claims and not much context. For instance what firmware on both companies at that time? Where was it tested? Is it still running?

I often tell my Offgrid folks not to change firmware unless they have a specific reason. Why chance a working power system?

I can't say any more than we never saw any sign that a basic parameter like Soc was being communicated to Schneider Local.  Good Luck !

• Mtnsun
    edited January 18 #5
    Options
    I agree watching YouTube videos is a great way to get bad information, the 2 companies appeared to be working together in their webinars.
    This is a newly Commissioned system so the firmware was updated when installed, as recommended in the Schneider Commissioning guide.
    It is a off grid system if there is better off grid firmware that would be helpful information.
    I will just hope the fortress firmware update works for now.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I have not heard from NAZ on this combination and so I would recommend their input. They sell both.
     NAZ, the store here is an excellent place to buy as they often have there own webinars and some hands on learning.

I would also call support at Schneider and get a case number, especially if this drags on. Tell them what I have been for 10 years that there should be Offgrid only firmware for XWP. There is a very high probability that all of the unused grid coding is causing an issue.   Good Luck !

• Mtnsun
    Options
    I have definitely purchased items from NAZ (NAWS) over the years, my 2 new Fortress evault max were recently purchased from NAZ by my installer. He has been working on this closed loop situation with Fortress too, but I felt it was best for me to get some of my own information.
    I am a new member here but I have been reading this forum for years, there is good Information on here.
    Recently in my email exchanges with Fortress they told me to disable SOC control. 
    I have been trying understand the relationship between the XW equipment and the fortress equipment in closed loop, how would disabling SOC control effect the operation of a closed loop system? 

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Soc  trigger on xwp requires the battery BMS communicate the data.  Yours and the one I worked on did not!  So, yes they are right. you need to trigger on voltage or open loop charge. Like you are now until there is a fix.

Glad you bought this from NAZ. Installer should communicate with NAZ on other sales with possibly this problem? Power in numbers often gets attention.

Hopefully fortress will fix this. I know it is not on Schneider's end as XWP works fine with 4 other LFP battery makes. On one I have over 50 great closed loop power systems since 2019.

• Mtnsun
    Options
    Dave 
    How was it determined the battery and inverter were not communicating?
    Was it as simple as the bms Information not showing up on insight?
    I just upgraded from 10 year old L16'S and I am still trying to get a grasp on closed loop communication 

• Mtnsun
    Options
    Update
    The closed loop communication is now working between the XW Pro
    And Fortress Evault Max

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Was the firmware from fortress the issue? How about  screenshot for others to see?

• Mtnsun
    edited February 8 #12
    Options
    The Fortress firmware was not updated. The new firmware might be updated soon. Following the instructions provided by Fortress Power it successfully worked.
    The best I can do is a screenshot from Insight mobile because I am not home right now. The batteries are at 100% this evening and are not accepting any charge
  • Mtnsun
    Options
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Nice and happy for you!

Fortress tried with E flex and could not even get Soc communicated to Schneider.

Keep planting those trees....😉

• Mtnsun
    Options
    Here is a screenshot From Insight local of the fortress bms