Extension cords quit "working" when stored outside?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
I'm guessing this is likely due to corrosion on the male and female plugs? Can't recall it being a problem until recently so I am wondering what the real cause is. 

Weird to just start having extension cord failures at age 65. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Multiple problems recently. Multiple cords. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited October 2023 #3
    Options

softdown said:
    I'm guessing this is likely due to corrosion on the male and female plugs? Can't recall it being a problem until recently so I am wondering what the real cause is. 

Weird to just start having extension cord failures at age 65. 
    Most of my problemst started after I turned 65 too!  but now to the cord question.
    Extension cords if indoor rated shouldn't be stored outdoors.
    There are outdoor rated and indoor/outdoor rated cords. Which kind of cord do you have? How old are your cords?

And the all important, how do you unplug them?
    Saw this 3 weeks ago on a service call, guy gets about 3 feet away from the outlet and yanks the cord to unplug it. Not saying this is what you have done, but just a possible factor in shortening cord life.

A 50 foot outdoor rated replacement cord is about $65.00 right now (last one I bought), so I can see why you might be asking about cord failure.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I find that the "socket" end of extension cords tend to both get corrosion (water in socket), and from (I would guess) is loss of tension/compression in the socket (cannot clamp on "plug blades" reliably).

I just accept that as aging/poor environment, and cut the ends off and replace with new sockets (and plugs as needed) from the hardware store. I get good grade of hardware--And they seem to last pretty well, if not better, than the original hardware.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    I unplug them properly. I also buy used cords. Also use a lot of cords since charging a few dozen batteries is a routine chore. 

Sounds like I need some "female" ends. Guessing that is no longer acceptable to call them male and female ends like they always did? 
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I order 'Hospital' grade receptacles for replacements. A plug is a plug for the most part and assembling with best practices in mind. But the hospital grade cord end receptacles are likely the last time you'll replace one unless you drive over it. I really dislike molded plugs/receptacles.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited October 2023 #7
    Options
    softdown said:
    I unplug them properly. I also buy used cords. Also use a lot of cords since charging a few dozen batteries is a routine chore. 

Sounds like I need some "female" ends. Guessing that is no longer acceptable to call them male and female ends like they always did? 
    I vote to make extension cord ends gender non-conforming. That would allow Darwin far more leeway to do his job.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shall we call them "inny and outy" ends?
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    Seriously though. It took me till 55 to figure out the female side is always the culprit too.
  • BB.
    Options
    There are gender non-conforming connectors... Commonly called Hermaphroditic:

https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/lighting-connectors/intersection/hermaphroditic-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story

And there are the Anderson Power Pole connector family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Not generally "safe" for higher voltage connectors (exposed metal surfaces).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    There are gender non-conforming connectors... Commonly called Hermaphroditic:

https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/lighting-connectors/intersection/hermaphroditic-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story

And there are the Anderson Power Pole connector family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Not generally "safe" for higher voltage connectors (exposed metal surfaces).

-Bill

I do understand what you are saying, Bill. But all of the Anderson connectors that I deal with still "insert one side into the other."  Sometimes simple terms are best and do not need to be corrected!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reminds me of the time one of the jobsite foremen cut the bad end off of a heavy construction extension cord he was using. Nobody told him to unplug the  cord from the spider box first. I wish I had a picture of him in his white T shirt with the big black flash mark on it. Nobody was hurt besides his side cutter pliers so it turned out pretty funny in the end.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
    Reminds me of the time one of the jobsite foremen cut the bad end off of a heavy construction extension cord he was using. Nobody told him to unplug the  cord from the spider box first. I wish I had a picture of him in his white T shirt with the big black flash mark on it. Nobody was hurt besides his side cutter pliers so it turned out pretty funny in the end.
    I suspect most handy folks learn that lesson that hard way. 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    I suspect most handy folks learn that lesson that hard way. 
    I agree but one prerequisite is, you have to be stupid enough to cut the end off of a live cord.  :open_mouth:

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    Options
    One may also consider how many cords have been cut. I’ve cut hundreds it seems like. Back in the day.

• pdh
    pdh Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Options
    I saw it done once, by a co-worker. We were pretty sure that the cord was unplugged at the other end. Turns out that "pretty sure" isn't quite good enough.
  • BB.
    Options
    I did it once at work... Lots of cords and for some reason (that I don't remember) I needed to cut an extension cord. A little fun--But that not exciting. Kept the side cutter I did it with for a number of years as a reminder.

-Bill
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    I did it once at work... Lots of cords and for some reason (that I don't remember) I needed to cut an extension cord. A little fun--But that not exciting. Kept the side cutter I did it with for a number of years as a reminder.

-Bill

I have a few tools that I have kept to remind me of just how stupid I can be!
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:

-Bill
    Yup, I have a pair of Klein side cutters with a area blasted out of the edges. It is interesting how the copper plating was deposited around the gouge. They actually are handy for striping insulation without nicking the conductor. I should patent the process? Bare steel handles on those. I never felt a thing.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Options
    JRHill said:
    Yup, I have a pair of Klein side cutters with a area blasted out of the edges. It is interesting how the copper plating was deposited around the gouge. They actually are handy for striping insulation without nicking the conductor. I should patent the process? Bare steel handles on those. I never felt a thing.
    "I should patent the process?"
    That would be a great tool for some apprentice jokes! 
    Be able to provide new apprentices with pre-shorted out tools so they wont have to do it themselves!

My arc marked tool was Klein wire strippers. Never did that again. Some lessons are learned the hard way.