A Interesting bit of Kit

As most of the regulars treading these boards are aware Ive been looking at generators linked to inverters and problems that occur.Ive asked about DC generators as options. Well yesterday I bought a EX Army 160 amp 28v DC generator. See pictures (side panels removed for pics)

It uses a Lister Petters AC2 2 cyl diesel engine 8.5 hp driving (belt drive) a 5 kw DC generator down rated to 4.5 kw. Fully automatic electric start and stop with hand crank start back up. The alternator and engine are forced air cooled and it comes with a 16 gallon inbuilt tank. Voltage is adjustable up to 32 volts. 24 volt battery starting system but with a 12 volt starter. Although it runs a 3000 rpm it puts out 161 amps at 28 volts, thats twice as much as I get from my SW3024E . Uses 1/2 gallon of diesel an hour. Will cut my run time in half to about 1 1/2 hours for a no sun winters day. Bought off ebay UK for $550. Will cost as much again to shipto Spain. It will become my main set but will still keep an AC set as well.

My question is it also has a AC output of
A 115v single phase @ 400hz
B 200v three phase @ 400 hz

Apart from maybe launching ballistic missiles what else can these ac outputs run? If nothing else has anyone got a spare missile I can use to test the AC side:p

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: A Interesting bit of Kit

You can always rectify the AC output (you didn't mention what sort of amps you get) and have high voltage DC for charging stuff, or to run an inverter.

You can get a 400 Hz motor, and use it to spin a 50/60Hz generator. (or another alternator)

Some older electronics have transformers rated 50/60/400Hz

(PS don't forget the lister/petter/listeroid folks at http://listerengine.com great message forum there too.)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you've gone this far with military surplus so keep checking that market as it is they who use 400hz stuff.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Buy yourself a good set of ear muffs! I have an old lister sl2 which I think is essentially the same. 50+ years old and runs like new, though I almost never use it. It burns ~1 litre/hour into 5kw 240vac. Can't seem to run a motor load however,,,never figured out why.

Icarus
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

The A series and the S series are years and worlds apart. Noise wise I dont know, but its loacated away from the house in an acoustic cabinet and the exhaust system flows in to a secondary heat venting removal chamber b4 leaving the unit. Motor loads,, syncing, dropping out overloads are not a problem this just feeds the batteries, part of my KISS goal.8)