Are American manufacturer's for off grid solar equipment getting left behind?

Options
Saggys
Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
I have been researching for a new lower power 48 volt off grid inverter, and what I am finding is the Chinese AIO's are really making a statement.

The features for the cost are amazing, not to mention the ease of installation of a AIO. Many of the top tier American designed and or manufactured products require you to buy additional equipment just to program or interface with it, or they need a separate charger or transfer switch.

Have the Chinese passed the USA in this area ?

Pretty tough to beat a MPP or Growatt for the money. 

I have always bought and used USA products but they are not making anything that I know of that is as easy as a Chinese AIO. Unless you want a MS DIY which is a re-branded Chinese inverter.

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect its a supply and demand issue. I just don't think a lot of people want to spend the money for 4/8/16 batteries just to have a short life with a low demand on the lead battery bank. Lithium would be ideal but again, an expensive battery.

Just me guessing but I believe most people use 12 or 24v for low power systems.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Certainly the 'all-in-one' inverter charge/controller/chargers are very convenient. Some even have ul ratings now.
    boB himself said they are getting very good. When describing Midnite's DIY series imported from Asia.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Saggys
    Options
    I am migrating from a 12 volt 770 amp hour bank to a 48 volt 200 amp hour bank. You are right, I could have stopped at a 24 volt, but figured might as well go to 48 volt.

I have a couple of months before I can start any underground work up here so I still have some time to ponder this.

I was pretty excited with Morningstar's new inverter line but I still need a charger and transfer switch for their equipment.

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Saggys, you say 'low power.' What is that to you and your system design? Battery bank size is one thing. What is the load and what is the recharge capability?
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Saggys
    edited February 2023 #6
    Options
    I would like to keep inverter size to 2000-3000 watts for an efficient (lower idle current)  system. The battery chemistry I have does not like much more than C4 discharge rate.

Current PV is 1.8kw with probable upgrade, and daily load is 1.2kw at most. My current inverter is only 1100 watts and is almost enough to do the job, it struggles with the well pump and washing machine at the same time.

Could run the generator more often but really don't want to.