Morningstar New Suresine Inverters

Options
Saggys
Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
I received an email from Morningstar Corporation that PV Magazine has a webinar on the new Suresine inverters from 150 watt to 2500 watt
12-24-48 volt input. Does any one know of more information on this subject? I am in the market for a new inverter and the 300 watt Suresine/Sunsaver MPPT that we have for our small system has been working flawless for the last 3 years, so a larger Suresine would be great.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, you can be assured you'll get a rock solid, well designed product from Morningstar. Time will tell but I wouldn't expect any less from them.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Saggys
    Options
    I dug around in the Morningstar website and found the specifications for their new products which also includes a new solar charge controller. Now to wait for availability and pricing.
    The only downside I came away with is there is no built in battery charger in the inverter line up and no mention of conduit boxes for the inverters,
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022 #4
    Options
    This is big news. Which other reputable manufacturer builds, for example, a 700 watt 48v low frequency pure pure sine inverter? None that I know.

My average load is 140 watts, with occasional forays into 260 watts when my inverter fridge is first turned on. My 3000 watt Outback inverter uses 25 watts at idle. This one burns barely 9 watts. At 18x10x6 inches I can pack one in my backpack.

Well built, low watt, low frequency, highish nominal bank off grid solar is a welcome addition.

I’m hoping the prices are reasonable, like the venerable 300 Sure Sine was. Not for me but for the tens of thousands of tiny house, or low consumption, poor folk who may now be able to venture into off grid solar. 

I know these products may have been manufactured for industrial, Internet, or utility applications but they have the potential to expand access to off grid living in lots of ways.
    Bravo Morningstar.
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Surfpath
    Options
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surfpath said:
    This is big news. Which other reputable manufacturer builds, for example, a 700 watt 48v low frequency pure pure sine inverter? None that I know.
    I think they are high frequency, but incredibly reliable and made in USA, Exeltech makes hard wire-able inverters down to 600 watts. Pure sine super reliable. 8watt at 600volt, they make a 1100 watt version that is 10 watts without a load. They make them for assorted uses with a variety of inputs and outputs.

Silly/stupid long life, they now post 
    21.5 Years MTBF
    but I recall this is based on incomplete data.

and I think they still have a $100 rebuild policy, if possible. I just read someone doing this last year.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Surfpath
    edited October 2022 #7
    Options
    Hi Photowhit,
    I heard that the Exeleltechs were quite reliable. I believe they made the only big name 48v low watt inverter until now.

From the Morningstar Suresine new data sheet on their website:

Overbuilt, industrial-grade low-frequency transformer

Hopefully the price is lower.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Victron and Cotek through our host NAWS has several 48 VDC input pure sine wave models that range from 250 Watts to 400, 500, 700, 1,000, 1,200, 1,500 Watt on up...

https://www.solar-electric.com/residential/inverters/off-grid-inverters.html?nav_inv_input_voltage=439&product_list_order=price

Not sure I would go with a 250 Watt inverter with 48 VDC input... But it is there from Victron for $119.01 -- That is a lot of batteries & cells to maintain. And need a "higher voltage array" + "48 VDC charge controller" too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Saggys
    Options
    Photowhit,

I just got my XP1100 48 volt inverter back from repair and it is still $100 plus shipping to get repaired. They even sent me a warranty registration card and I am not the original purchaser! It came back with new hole plugs and clamps (that were missing) in a foamed Exeltech box as if it were new.
    I installed the low idle kit about 7 months ago and I measured 11 watts. This is a 2007 model that ran 24/7 365 in our telecom building at work till November 2021. Pretty impressed with Exeltech service, but still very intrigued with Morningstar 1250/2500 watt models. The spec sheet claims they are low frequency design with a toroidal  output transformer.