150' long term extension cord, hazards, thoughts, ideas...

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I'm always on the lookout for long 10 (or 12 maybe) gauge extension cords. I have a couple that allow me to reach close to the corners of my 3 acre lot. I use an electric chain saw, trim and once in a while fell trees, weed eat, and use hedge clippers. I also have a workshop that is a bit over 100 feet from my power center.

I ran across a heck of a deal on some shore cords. $60 for 4 - 50' 30 amp, and a shorter, cord a 50amp 'Y' and some pig tale adapters. (I need to go back to wearing a mask!

No description available

Neat deal, cords look great, appears to be a weekend warrior, My shoreline looked worse than any of these after a couple weeks in Florida.

So, my plane is to make a single 150' cord out of 3 of the 50' cords. I know, lots of contact points, I'll likely pull the boots and look for any corrosion. Then do a proper screw down seal connection between cords. Yes, the sealing rings and connectors will cost me almost as much as the cords!!!

The idea being, in the spring I'll run the cord from the power center to the workshop which lives near the center of my woodlot. Plan on leaving it there 6-7 months. I'll get a chance to test it out while doing some chainsaw work this winter. 

I do like to use a short flexible 12 gauge cord for the chainsaw. I think it's 12amp. Stretching the limits a bit. as much as 250 feet to the corners.

Thoughts?
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same thing with weed wacking out 200 feet for fire season. Costco has sales on 50' #12 extension cords. There will be drop and your saws may not last as long running at lower voltage.

I did notice that the 10 amp motors did not last as long. 3 years maybe? Not a big deal as I did not have the vibration that gas engines make. This was the ticket for me and my weak wrists. Not paying big money for gasoline was #2. The third was the noise and long term damage of my hearing.

As long as the thicker 30A wiring is not a big deal?  For me it would be a pain dragging heavy wire. Probably not for you cutting wood in one place and then moving. I might get lazy in your case and crimp the connections and double heat shrink. I did this also with my Dad's old craftsman 16" chainsaw and it was fine. A number 12 is typically 20amp rated BTW.

Good Plan and good luck !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    Close to my mistrust of GFCIs is extension cords with molded ends. They might be OK for a bit but I don't waste much time in cutting them off and replacing. But like everything, my gosh have male and female HD replacement ends gotten expensive. I used to work in BioMed and it was often that the ends would get replaced with true hospital grade devices and even those got changed out when they failed the pull test. I stock piled those instead of throwing them away but that stock is long gone. I loved the clear case so you could see the connections. And it is frustrating when ya buy an expensive end just to find out the contacts are not copper/brass but are simply flash plated to look that way. Certainly NOT what to buy on Amazon.

And, speaking of cheap stuff, what is the wire? Is it really copper? A good current carrying copper? Our place goes way beyond 3 acres. For simple and small stuff I invested in a 40vdc trimmer and saw- Ryobi. I kind of like 'em. Quiet. Powerful. The saw chain (12") is an interesting thin narrow curf and it really hogs and the saw has good torque. Not too much power to be dangerous if I am stupid when limbing. Kick back is a non issue. You just need to do the charging diligence like all of those tools and not keep them plugged in.

Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JRHill said:
    Close to my mistrust of GFCIs is extension cords with molded ends.
    These are marine cords 10 gauge copper. They carry a UL rating Marinco(?), have ends with a weather resistant boot.  To add a connector kit, you actually have to pull the boot back and add a seal, then a threaded piece between to make very water resistant. You can also look for corrosion while there, but usually have to remove the end to see if the copper has gone black. All of this is about as much fun as pulling wisdom teeth!

Marinco 110R - 30A Sealing Collar with Threaded Ring
    As they age the outer boot becomes less flexible, but these are really in great shape! Fingers and teeth crossed!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a smok'n hot deal! Yes, you stole them at that price. At my last home, I just used my Honda 2000 in the bed of my pickup or a wheelbarrow for long-distance power around my 4 acres. Now I'm back to 2-stroke because good powerful battery stuff is so expensive!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.