Where are you and are your electric grid costs progressive or regressive?

Options
Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi I live in Central Missouri.

I've been making the argument for a National Electric Billing structure.

I think at one time there must have been some Federal Bill with grants to encourage progressively higher costs for people who use more electric. (Any info on this would be appreciated) I've lived in Florida and North Caroline before moving to Missouri. It seemed like both Florida and North Carolina had progressive cost structures. You paid less for the first 300-500 kWhs than you did for using more kWhs.

In Missouri in general it's not true or at least not required.

Here are 2 billing structure in Missouri, the left is for my county Callaway, and the one on the right is for the City of Columbia.

It should be obvious that someone using 300kWhs in Columbia is much better off than someone using 300 kWhs in Callaway County.

Callaway $39 + 300x12.02 cents per = 36.06 = $75.06
Columbia $16.31 + 300x7.86= $23.58 = $39.89

This is state regulated in most/all states as Electric companies are allowed a monopoly.
Road taxes for vehicles could also be integrated if desired.
Higher costs for higher energy use would also encourage adding solar electric and with structure perhaps net metering would survive...

So is electric cheaper the more you use or more expensive?
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Luck on a national structure. I think you are dreaming or having a nightmare Photwhit.  ;)
    You realize how complicated it is now, or it would be if they made it even worse?  or,   Does it ever get better?

In answer to your last question it is neither here. I have been hearing that NV is selling to California now in their man made crisis. I get text telling me to be good so Nevada Energy can sell to Cali when they do not conserve. I heard also that the Diablo Canyon Nuke plant is not going offline any time soon. Someone must be awake at Caliso.

to me

2:59 PM (1 hour ago)

NV Energy Alert: Extreme heat continues throughout the western U.S. Please reduce electricity usage again today and tomorrow between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. by adjusting your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher, avoid using large electrical appliances, turning off pool pumps and not charging electric vehicles. More info at nvenergy.com/calltoconserve.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 #3
    Options
    We have an open market here in Texas, providers compete for my business. I choose my energy provider and negotiate a rate and its term. There is a wide choice of rate structures to choose from, including some gimmicks like free nights and weekends, or your top highest 7 days are free. (The exception is if you live within a Co-op area. Then you have no choice.)
    Last re-up, I felt that the pricing could go bonkers in a hurry, so went for the longest term. I am currently two years into a 5-year contract. I am paying $0.0565/kWh energy charge for all power below 2,500 kWh per month. It drops to $0.050/kWh if I were to exceed 2,500 kWh in a billing period. The delivery charge is a flat $0.045/kWh and the base/meter/connection charge is $5.00/mo. Other providers have different terms and pricing structures.
    My home is all electric, 2,500 sq. ft. 4/3, and constantly full of visitors. A good month for me during mild weather is around $95.00/mo. and I just got my summer bill of $205.00 for the preceding 30 days. My peak in February of last year was almost $300.00 because we were literally snowed in and hitting temps below 0F - with a house full of family! So, the 20kW strip heat got fired up for the one and only time!
    Before you cringe at my power gluttony, remember 100F+ days, 4-10 people, electric water heaters, a clothes dryer, a 1.8kW irrigation pump, two septic pumps and an aerator, two full-sized refrigerators, and two chest freezers. I'm actually doing very well!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Hmmm... Another reason to move to Texas from California (thinking Nevada for now--Have family in California that we need to be close too--Old age, etc.)...

In California, this is just like going to Costco/Sam's Club/etc. vs the corner market... You can pay 30% more for buying in bulk. Baseline charges vs over 100% of baseline (~30% more--Baseline in my area is around 9.8 kWH per day or just under 300 kWH per month)..

And there are something like 3 or so different rate plans to choose from...

Just a quick cut and paste from PG&E (northern California gas and electric)... My present electric rate (will change soon to something else):

https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    edited September 2022 #5
    Options
    At least you can go surfing Bill  :)  

I remember Marc telling us about the property tax raises. How did that end up Sir?

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I remember Marc telling us about the property tax raises. How did that end up Sir?
    I don't want to further hijack Photowhit's thread, so I will start a new one!

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't want to further hijack Photowhit's thread, so I will start a new one!

Let me know when you do, we just had this fun Supreme Court Ruling in Missouri. I think most progressive states have a wavier on solar array/systems from property taxes.

Not sure where people stand on this, grandfathered in, ignore individuals on apply to commercial solar farms....

Missouri Halts Solar Tax Break as Federal Incentives Expand (usnews.com)

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I say vote them out or if that does not work, vote with your feet ;)