PGE

southfork
southfork Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭
Another new subcontractor replacing a power pole a couple of guys digging the hole by hand ? Two and a half days with a roto hammer and shovels in this heat and smoke . They did have a pop up shade cover over the hole they have done several over the last few weeks . Whatever happened to a auger ? maybe its time and material ? its always a new company inspection / tree trimming / line and pole repairs my transformer pole and trees have been inspected at least six times this year . Another rate increase coming with all these brand new trucks driving around . My rant for today and my power was out the other day all day while they replaced another pole lol .
 24 solar world 285 watt panels with 24 Enphase 250 s ground mount grid tied .                                                                

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you !  They are all over up here in Mariposa replacing poles and underground service that ground squirrels were not supposed to be able to get at down 3+ feet. I have a friend at PGE that I see in town. He was the one who told us almost 30 years ago we would not make it thru the first winter without PGE. He still tell me he can send a truck  ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• southfork
    A year latter and new contractor for PGE still digging with roto hammer replacing poles . Our private road is about two miles long at this rate they will never finish ? My place has been inspected 4 times so far this year tree service Equipment inspection lines poles . You could start a small company servicing our road wow how much are they spending per year system wide ? Still ranting a year latter .
  • Dave Angelini
    PGE just paid for the 40KW Schneider power system down the hiway from me. It was cheaper than maintaining the lines. They crunched the numbers. Nice bifacial panels out of canada hey!   With the drought they may have to inspect you monthly :#

• southfork
    There back replacing a few poles with fire proofed poles different contractor out of Oregon . With real equipment and new trucks and a PGE sub back at my house inspecting transformer pole . He said my pole needs to be replaced because of woodpecker damage he was putting in an emergency order ! that was a couple of weeks ago .
  • Dave Angelini
    edited June 2021 #6
    Yes new transmission line towers out our lounge window make happy hour interesting. Steep canyons and heliocopters are doing the work. They have been doing this yearly on the 170 KV line into Yosemite for 3 years.

Some of it is going to be underground but not much. At this rate it will be 1000 years before it is all done, says WIKI. We have had a crew stop by the house. They use us as a waypoint to get where they are going. They are respectful and do not get to close. They have landed up our road in an emergency a few years back. Good Guy's ! Below is not them BTW.

• southfork
    southfork said:
    There back replacing a few poles with fire proofed poles different contractor out of Oregon . With real equipment and new trucks and a PGE sub back at my house inspecting transformer pole . He said my pole needs to be replaced because of woodpecker damage he was putting in an emergency order ! that was a couple of weeks ago .
    Not much of an emergency 5 - 13 - 2022 I'm still on the list they called yesterday over twenty woodpecker holes in the pole.
  • southfork
    New company from somewhere? to look at the pole and ask if my phone number was still the same so they can call me before replacing pole.
  • Dave Angelini
    Sounds hopeful !   There just is so much work that needs to be done!

Take a drive on hwy 88 where the Caldor fire almost burned to Lake Tahoe last summer. The scope of the fire damage and the 95% that is overgrown and untouched shows how it has been neglected.  When the Timber and Ranching industries were stopped, it all just kept growing. The Feds have alot of blame but California is the deep pocket.

A Forester who I know said it has taken 40 years of the clean air act, endangered species act and another I can't remember to get California to this point. He said if they do all the funding for what needs to be done, it could take 40 years to fix it!

His name is John xxxxx  and the book was "Torching Conventional Forestry."

• southfork
    Here again this week another company? He said they would call me when they come to replace the cross arms and fuses? but didn't know about the pole. I guess it needs more woodpecker holes before it qualifies maybe all that epoxy, they filled it with years ago is still holding it together just fine. I just think this is one of their favorites for wasting time or maybe it's the local view. 
  • southfork
    PGE was here two weeks ago with a bucket truck measuring woodpecker hole's and taking photos on a Sunday. Hopefully a double time day.
  • southfork
    A phone call yesterday at least there not wasting fuel MGM contractors are going to replace pole on the 29.
  • southfork
    New company today, Energy Solutions taking photos they must be selling photos?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Hopefully, there are no nesting owls/wood peckers/etc. in wood pole... Otherwise could be waiting until fall/winter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • southfork
    Another sub-contractor here yesterday weed whacking the dry dirt around the pole.
  • southfork
    New company today first truck 7am replaced all equipment and pole done by 10 am my rant is over.