What is this type of breaker called, and where can I find them?

showme
showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I just got some of the Trace Xantrex SW5548 power panel components out to start testing them for service (I bought this system about 10 years ago from a guy who had only used it a year or so). I've since bought two other SW5548's for a dual system, along with the used one for a back up. Something I didn't think about till now is that the former owner of the power board only used it for a single inverter system, so I've got to round up some extra breakers. Actually, I plan on replacing them all and keeping the old ones for back ups.

What I need to know about is where to find one in particular. It consists of two Square D 60A breakers, a double and single, both are 10KA-120/240V, with a safety toggle lock. I've looked everywhere, but can't find the double with this toggle arm, or one without a double switch. Anybody know where to find these, or if not, how they're constructed? Thanks, Lee

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    This style breaker,  was called an inverter Bypass Breaker.

IIRC,  these are Square D QOU breakers  --  with screw terminals for input and output.

The metal gizmo may have been a custom item for Trace/Xantrex.

Perhaps you can find some of these on e-bay.  You might also ask folks in the Wind-Sun Store,  here   ...   Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also known as an Interlock or transfer switch gate.   The metal part is an add-on to a plain breaker to insure only one can be on at a time.
    At Grainger.com 

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    The Xantrex AC Panelboarads use a DIN rail for breaker mounting.

If you are using the Xantrex panelboards for your AC wiring and breakers,  you WILL really want QOU breakers.   These breakers come with DIN rail mounting accessories,   and have one box lug for Line,  and one on the Load side of the breaker.   These lugs allow for "flying leads" on input AND output of the breaker.

There may be a QOU version of this interlock  --  my Xantrex inverter bypass (interlock),  has  "QOU"  stamped into the front face of the interlock,  implying (to me),  that it may have some subtle differences,  compared to the interlocks for "plugon" breakers that mount onto  distribution busbars.

IMO,  YMMV,  and so on,  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
  • showme
    Thanks for the information, guys! I really appreciate it. So, I'm assuming the two 60 amp breakers are just Square D labeled as stated then.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 #7
    I have a few of these salvaged from Trace/Xantrex systems. If you get into a bind maybe I can help. I'm in Baja California Mexico so shipping has a few more steps involved.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• showme
    Thanks, Littleharbor! I'll check around and see what I can find. I'll let you know if it's a zero.

• littleharbor2
    showme said:
    Thanks, Littleharbor! I'll check around and see what I can find. I'll let you know if it's a zero.
    All good. FYI I have two DIN rail mount sets and two stab lock style for a Schneider QO breaker panel.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• showme
    Well, mine is set up as a DIN rail. Looks like you have two of those. So, or they in good operable condition? If so, what would you take for them? I've now located suppliers for the breakers and lockout levers, and they are available, but if yours are working, I'm interested. How much for the two I can use?

• littleharbor2
    showme said:
    Well, mine is set up as a DIN rail. Looks like you have two of those. So, or they in good operable condition? If so, what would you take for them? I've now located suppliers for the breakers and lockout levers, and they are available, but if yours are working, I'm interested. How much for the two I can use?
    Private message sent.

• showme
    Just wanted to thank littleharbor2 for coming through for me with 2 of these breakers. It was great talking to you, Mike, and also thanks for the ideas on batteries, firing up the SW 5548's the right way, and mostly just for letting me know (as I already suspected) that the Trace Xantrex line is as tough and dependable as all the research has told me. Also, knowing that someone else bought one that was a 'new in box' inverter that had sat for 15 years before it was even lit up. Makes me feel a lot more confident in my two 21 year old NIB inverters and my "old, used" one that only had two years use when I bought it. Can't wait to get it up and running! Thanks again, man. And enjoy that beautiful place you have south of the border. Lucky dog. 

• littleharbor2
    showme said:
    Just wanted to thank littleharbor2 for coming through for me with 2 of these breakers. It was great talking to you, Mike, and also thanks for the ideas on batteries, firing up the SW 5548's the right way, and mostly just for letting me know (as I already suspected) that the Trace Xantrex line is as tough and dependable as all the research has told me. Also, knowing that someone else bought one that was a 'new in box' inverter that had sat for 15 years before it was even lit up. Makes me feel a lot more confident in my two 21 year old NIB inverters and my "old, used" one that only had two years use when I bought it. Can't wait to get it up and running! Thanks again, man. And enjoy that beautiful place you have south of the border. Lucky dog. 
    You're very welcome. Glad I could help. Nice getting to know you and your off-grid story. Best of luck in all your  off-grid endeavors.