Does replacing an Outback control board update an older inverter to work with lithium parameters?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
I have subtlety asked this a couple times. Not so subtle this time.

VFX-3648 bought in 2012. Looks identical to the 2021 I just bought.

FWIW - the V stands for ventilated. The housing has a screen for air to move out when the fan is on.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have seen this asked on the Outback forum. As I recall you can not replace just one board with the VFXR part - you would have to replace all of them. After spending that much it would be hard to justify compared with purchasing a new VFXR with the full warranty.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • softdown
    Options
    JRHill said:
    I have seen this asked on the Outback forum. As I recall you can not replace just one board with the VFXR part - you would have to replace all of them. After spending that much it would be hard to justify compared with purchasing a new VFXR with the full warranty.

Just did that - new VXF. Then I found that my old unit may be alright after all. All of the internal components look brand new. Both green lights have been on for several days. I will soon connect it to power several appliances and observe for a couple weeks. But what if it is fine up until a prolonged load over, say, 2000 watts? Just waiting to die with the next big load?

Outback used to help diagnose inverter issues. Perhaps I failed protocol but my call yielded no results - after waiting for 5 1/2 minutes I left a message that did not get returned. May have failed protocol.

I agree that replacing all three boards does not compare favorably to buying a new inverter. It is a perplexing dilemma indeed.

Hoping that perseverance gets me somewhere. I can't hardly chuck an inverter that looks new inside and seems to work fine. Nor can I presently count on it as reliable back up when the new inverter fails. Especially considering that my next battery bank is lithium. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • JRHill
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have a few problems I am trying to resolve on my system. I am sure there is a correlation between them and I am diagnosing.

Again, your pain RE: Tech Support. I can say that you will never get to someone in 5 1/2 minutes. The guys are really good when you get to them but you have to be patient. In 14 years I think I may have called TS once before the current challenge and that also took a while. Make sure your cell battery is topped off before calling. I give them 5 stars on expertise. The wait time not included in those stars. When you get to them you won't have a dingy phone rep going through check boxes on a worksheet.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • JRHill
    Options
    softdown said:
    Hoping that perseverance gets me somewhere. I can't hardly chuck an inverter that looks new inside and seems to work fine. Nor can I presently count on it as reliable back up when the new inverter fails. Especially considering that my next battery bank is lithium. 
    There is no need to chuck anything. The VFXR that you bought new will be necessary for the lithium batteries. It has the range of parameters needed to protect them.

The old VFX has a lot of value. If not for a separate system of yours, maybe someone else. I have to say that you are walking a tight rope connecting both to one battery bank. Certainly not trying to do a Master/Slave combination. Don't do that. As I understand it they will not play well together.
  • softdown
    Options
    Joined the Outback forum. It seemed logical.
  • softdown
    Options

Things seem "relaxed" over there.