Red Bricks as New Battery/Super Capacitors (yes, those red bricks used in construction)

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
I think this is a very very long ways off... Just weird stuff in the news:

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2020/08/12/Red-bricks-can-be-charged-store-energy/3371597230981/

Designers and engineers have previously recognized the brick's ability to absorb and store the sun's energy, but the latest study marks the first time researchers have developed a strategy for converting a red brick into a supercapacitor.

"In this work, we have developed a coating of the conducting polymer PEDOT, which is comprised of nanofibers that penetrate the inner porous network of a brick; a polymer coating remains trapped in a brick and serves as an ion sponge that stores and conducts electricity," D'Arcy said.

The iron oxide, or rust, that give bricks their red color works to trigger the polymerization process. Authors of the proof-of-concept paper have yet to build a chargeable brick, but their calculations suggest a smart brick could store significantly amounts of energy.

Famous last words "in theory".  :p

-Bill "I have a paper for that" B.
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Authors of the proof-of-concept paper have yet to build a chargeable brick, but their calculations suggest a smart brick could store significantly amounts of energy

Further than far away. Really far away. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    BB. said:
    I think this is a very very long ways off... Just weird stuff in the news:

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2020/08/12/Red-bricks-can-be-charged-store-energy/3371597230981/

Designers and engineers have previously recognized the brick's ability to absorb and store the sun's energy, but the latest study marks the first time researchers have developed a strategy for converting a red brick into a supercapacitor.

"In this work, we have developed a coating of the conducting polymer PEDOT, which is comprised of nanofibers that penetrate the inner porous network of a brick; a polymer coating remains trapped in a brick and serves as an ion sponge that stores and conducts electricity," D'Arcy said.

The iron oxide, or rust, that give bricks their red color works to trigger the polymerization process. Authors of the proof-of-concept paper have yet to build a chargeable brick, but their calculations suggest a smart brick could store significantly amounts of energy.

Famous last words "in theory".  :p

-Bill "I have a paper for that" B.
    I am going to be really pissed after using steel to build my shop.....
    30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it.