generator to charge batteries

Options
apollo822
apollo822 Registered Users Posts: 1
i have 6/7 kva generator to run my stables.
i need some help to no what i need to add battery charging system as i really don't have any idea what else i need .
i have been told I am best with a 48v system but that is about it i got a quote of of a company here in the uk . for £2000
which seemed like a fortune to me..

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welcome to the forum 

Sorry not enough information to answer your question.

Start with the energy requirements by making a list of all the loads and how long they run, everything will depend on this, there is no other way, I assume you are thinking of solar power to save on fuel costs.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My 48V system cost the equivalent of 11,000£. Knowing what I know now, I could have put it together for 8000£.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    It really depends on your power needs... A 6-7 kWatt genset can take a 2-4 liters of fuel per hour at full load (depends if petrol, diesel, propane, etc.)...That is a lot of power (potentially more power than a typical home uses in a day) and is not going to be cheap to supply with a genset, batteries, solar, or even a utility connection.

Looking at your loads--Figuring out how to get the most efficient loads you can (LED lighting, efficient water pumps, no electric heaters, etc.)... Can help.

Or perhaps you need X kWatts during part of the day (pumping water to cistern, washing animals, strong lightning for groming, etc.)--But at night, all you need is a little bit of LED lighting and/or motion detector based lighting for security/keeping an eye on the horses.... And for quiet time/overnight small loads--A battery bank (genset recharging) can be a good way to save on fuel/have lights and water pumping for stock when needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset