Magnum 2024

I studied the inverter specifications for Magnum MS series. It seems like 2024 should be able to  handle my load.  The load is tiny: 410 W airconditioner with surge of 1200 W.  Plus another 100 W in LED bulbs and phones. Just want to confirm. Thank you

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 #2
    My guess is it would probably work being that the Magnum is a reputable make.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 #3
    Voltage said:
    I studied the inverter specifications for Magnum MS series. It seems like 2024 should be able to  handle my load.  The load is tiny: 410 W airconditioner with surge of 1200 W.  Plus another 100 W in LED bulbs and phones. Just want to confirm. Thank you
    It's much more inverter than is needed for the load, I easily run a 6000 btu window unit with a 1800 watt ProSine inverter. I've run a 5300btu window unit with wattage similar to yours with an 1100 watt Exeltech inverter.

Understand that the original influx of current needed to start the motor will determine if the air conditioner will run on a inverter. I believe the term is "locked rotor current"...

There is also the question of how long a system will run the load. I've run a window unit on 4 golf cart batteries, but if the "duty cycle"(the time the compressor is running, or a full load of 410 watts) will determine how long your system will run the load. If you are running a full load of 410 watts, that would be roughly 410 watts x 1.1 (adding the inverter power use converting DC to AC) brings the load to 450 watts. That would be 450 ÷ 24volts=19 amps, so to use on a 210 amp battery bank (4 golf cart batteries) would run the battery bank down to 50% State of Charge (SOC) in 4 hours. That is without additional loads. Sounds like it should be a bit longer, but you are drawing down the battery bank at a discharge rate higher than the 20hr rate it's capacity is measured in...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.