Charging my batteries without solar.

robartist
robartist Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
I’m building out 4   lifepo4 48v120ah batteries now and won’t have my panels setup for months.  What can a use to float charge my batteries until the panels are up?  Is there a charger I can hook up to my bms’?  I keep searching Google but can’t seem to find anything.  Thanks! 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robartist said:
    I’m building out 4   lifepo4 48v120ah batteries now and won’t have my panels setup for months.  What can a use to float charge my batteries until the panels are up?  Is there a charger I can hook up to my bms’?  I keep searching Google but can’t seem to find anything.  Thanks! 
    Well, the first question might be why? It doesn't harm lithium batteries to be stored a levels other than full...

If you have the balance of the system, do you have an inverter charger? You should be able to use it to charge the batteries from the grid or generator.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When shipped the cells will be at around 40 -50% state of charge, which is the preferred storage value, they have ano extremely low self discharge and will remain at safe levels for at least a year. What you might need however is a single cell charger to perform ballancing in parallel prior to final series connection, allow a week or so to complete the charging with a 15A charger like the one below.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • robartist
    robartist Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers!  I appreciate the time to reply back.