Radian 8048A DIES ON START UP

ranchsolar
ranchsolar Registered Users Posts: 2
Installed a Radian 8048A Jan. 2, 2021
System worked fine. Radian is in the Grid ZERO mode, NOT tied to the Grid. A week ago (and still having) very cold temps so the FM80's could not handle the VOC voltages and shut down. Shut off circuit breakers from battery that feed the Radian to keep battery from discharging. Tried to restart the Radian today, flipped on the two battery breakers and the Radian went totally dark and killed the FM80's and the BMS on battery bank opened up. Checked the battery voltage = 56.7 volts. Shut off the Battery breakers, reset the BMS on the Battery bank, turned on the PV to the FM80's and they went into absorb mode and then VOC again because of Cold temps again. The FM80's are still working fine, but if I try again to flip on the battery bank breakers to the Radian it again KILLS the WHOLE SYSTEM. 

UNABLE TO check any error codes because the Mate3 goes black when trying to power up the Radian. Called Outback Tech and was told They would have to get back to me in a couple of days!!!

If I can get this figured out, I will sell this Radian because I'm not going to deal with Outback's lack of Tech Support. We will not be installing another Radian

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 #2
    Had a similar problem, when I connected an inverter to my new LiFePo4 bank, the BMS disconnected the load thus the inverter remained powered down.

My belief was the initial charging of the capacitors was either detected as a short or overcurrent event, to initiate the inverter to start, I temporarily  bypassed the BMS with a stout piece of wire, once the capacitors were charged the inverter powered up and the BMS remained connected 

Not saying that this is the case in your instance but something worth thinking about, my inverter is not an Outback by the way. As long as the inverter is connected to the battery it can be powered down via its on off switch without issues, it's only when the battery is disconnected do I have the problem.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    @ranchsolar
    Try disconnecting the communication cables from the Radian and Mate3 from the hub, then reconnect a cable directly between the Radian and Mate3. This is just to test their functionality without any influence from the FM80. You can also try starting the Radian alone with no connection to the Mate3 or hub. I would recommend switching the AC output breaker off before testing. Hopefully this test will isolate the problem.
    Also, where is the high VOC message coming from? I ask because if the FM80 really sees VOC over 150V, it usually results in controller circuit damage, but you state they still work, so maybe something is reading the voltage incorrectly.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 #4
    If this was offgrid (critical power source) and you did what Rick said, you can swap to the other half of Radian. It is (2) 4 KW inverters and does take some inside the device skills.

I do not understand, are you offgrid? If so you can't be depending on Tech support for this. You need to have your own spare electronics or other ways to get power. Texas is learning this right now. Great to have sun and wind but they aren't always there ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ranchsolar
    ranchsolar Registered Users Posts: 2
    I took the Radian off the wall. I'm totally done with this equipment and Outback!

I tried some more troubleshooting, unhooked the Mate3, Tried to isolate different parts of the inverter and it now went totally black... zero anything. I waited THREE DAYS for Outback Tech's to reply... didn't happen. I will NEVER install OUTBACK again! Their Tech service sucks. Their warranty is a joke, they want you to keep trying to fix the equipment all the while there is ZERO Electrical production and customers home is dark and COLD! 

Outback told me "It could take months to get the warranty worked out." I know of two more Raidian sitting in contractors shops "Waiting" for Outback to get their ass in gear and take the equipment back on warranty. 

Now I'd like input on what a good OFF GRID Inverter would be suggested by everyone. Something that has good TECH SERVICE, doesn't keep breaking down, good Tech service, and don't have to wait days/weeks for parts to arrive. 

System is 7,600 Watt Solar, Two Midnight Classic 200 Charge controllers and 200Ahr Lithium battery. Plan on expanding the battery size. Please let me know what OFF GRID - ZERO GRID TIED inverter you would suggest. Thanks in advance.
  • Dave Angelini
    If you drop me an email I will send it on to one of the Outback Reps I know. We communicate with installers and manufacturers on a daily bulletin board. I pretty much use the Schneider XW inverter/ charger in over 350 offgrid homes. Drop me an email below. Before you give up, did you swap the internal inverters? Pretty rare that they both died in a brand new inverter?

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    There are only two that I would use and Dave mentions them both. Outback or Schneider. No matter what brand you use, if a failure occurs there is always the possibility of extended downtime. If it were me, and the downtime causes considerable hardship, then I would have a replacement onsite in a box ready to install. My Radian is grid connected, so I can wait for parts. But off grid, I would definitely have a spare.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Dave Angelini
    I think I would take it out of the box and hang it offgrid ;)