interstate batteries

alcatel99
alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
my local solar dealers are selling these batteries as having been made by Trojan has any one heard about this

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's complete BS as far as I know...

From Interstate Batteries FAQs  "...Interstate is the world leader in battery quality with 80+ years of innovation. Interstate Batteries, manufactured by Johnson Controls, are the #1 automotive replacement batteries in America with 15 million batteries sold every year."

Interstate Batteries - FAQs | Firestone Complete Auto Care

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Then again Interstate Battery  is a marketing company which manufacturers nothing,  but rather put out tenders to see who can supply the lowest cost to maximize profit. To find out who the actual manufacturer is, one could request a material safety data sheet, which will list the manufacturer, Johnson Controls had been the supplier for some time but who knows what happens in the corporate world.

As a side note, years ago a marketing company approached us with a low cost alternative to the SLA Panasonic batteries we used in fire alarm, security and emergency lighting, we used thousands annually,  initially they were satisfactory but later they had a high failure rate. Turns out they had switched supplier in China who filled the bottom 30% of the batteries with sand to save on lead costs, it's all about money.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:
    It's complete BS as far as I know...

From Interstate Batteries FAQs  "...Interstate is the world leader in battery quality with 80+ years of innovation. Interstate Batteries, manufactured by Johnson Controls, are the #1 automotive replacement batteries in America with 15 million batteries sold every year."

Interstate Batteries - FAQs | Firestone Complete Auto Care

I suspect that you are correct. Trojan is working hard to repair/improve their image and market position. Interstate very effectively penetrates the lower end of their market segment with heavy marketing - clearly not where Trojan lives.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Marc !  How is the lake? Been some time!

I think Trojan needs to work alot harder!  They are still selling one of the lamest 2V LA's in the world. Have to check and water 3 separate cells in a 2V battery. Been doing this for over 12 years....Think how many people get stuck with 72 cells to maintain over 24.

It is enough to make you go to AGM ;)     Good documentary on the ZTop on netflix.   Cheers in advance!

https://www.solar-electric.com/marine-rv/batteries-and-accessories/deep-cycle-batteries.html?manufacturer=37&nav_battery_voltage=387
    cells.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• alcatel99
    alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Thanks guys