Can you charge a Li Ion battery bank with a Outback FM 80?

Options
RanchoPacifico
RanchoPacifico Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I have agm batteries now but have a chance to pick up a lifepo battery bank at a very reasonable price. It is a LiMax BMT sr5000r LifePo4 battery at 48v. My existing system is 2 Outback VFX 3648 inverters, Fm80 charge controller and 12-190 watt solar panels on solar trackers, and 20-12v-100ah AGM batteries. Ideally I"d like to just remove the AGM batteries and install the LifPo's but I am not naive enough to believe that that is possible. So what modifications will I have to do to use the Li batteries with the fm80 other than program in new charge parameters? The Li battery packs have their own balancing system and charge controller built in. Here is a link to the system: 
https://manualzz.com/doc/23730051/user-s-manual---solarmax-technology 

Thanks in advance for any help.
Off grid in northern Baja, 2- vfx3648, FM80,  2280 w pv array pole mounted with solar trackers, 300ah LiFepo4 battery bank, Kubota 6.5kw Diesel gen.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is possible given the controllers and inverter are  programmable, although not directly related to the LiFePo4 batteries you may have, there are recommended settings from other manufacturers that can be used as a guide. Using the information provided by SimpliPhi batteries for use with Schneider equipment, for example  I was able to come up with an approximate set of values for a DIY bank that have been working well for the past 2.5 years. 

Simpliphi also has similar settings for Outback equipment which could be used as a guide to establish a starting point, a Web search will provide pdf links, it's actually very simple, contrary to popular belief, way easier than lead acid as long as the fundementalsare followed. Personally I would highly recommend studying the chemistry before making a switch, focusing on the limitations, especially low temperature, outside of freezing environments they make perfect sense.

If you are serious about making the change and freezing temperatures are not a hurdle to be overcome, I'm willing to offer guidance based on experience. Personally I'm in the tropics where low temperature is a non issue, as I've  no idea where you are located it's impossible to comment without this information.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • RanchoPacifico
    RanchoPacifico Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the offer to help, I would appreciate that. I'm in northern Baja Mexico, at sea level so very little chance of freezing here. The battery bank seems to have the BMS built into cabinet, is 48v nominal, and rated at 5280wh. I will look on line for Simpliphi and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.
    Off grid in northern Baja, 2- vfx3648, FM80,  2280 w pv array pole mounted with solar trackers, 300ah LiFepo4 battery bank, Kubota 6.5kw Diesel gen.