Automation in Agriculture Using Solar Energy Pumping

simorondo09
simorondo09 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello Friends,

I'm already set up several solar energy pumping systems for farms, but I was thinking of improving my work by adding automation to my arsenal. So the plan is automatic irrigation for the whole farm. I've study some PLC programs (but I'm still a beginner at it). I was searching for a sample of programs and schematics on how to do it but didn't find any on this subject YET. 

I would love to know if any of you guys have an idea about it, or already did it or can supply me with sources to learn about it, I will be so appreciative,

Thank you in advance,

Simo, 

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to automate ? 
      Start pumps after 60% of the absorb cycle has completed ?
     Do you have elevated storage tanks, for pre-dawn irrigation ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• simorondo09
    Thank you Mike for replying,

I have a tank and I want to automate the pump that distributes water to the land, and since I divided the land into 4 pieces, I want to automate the irrigation on each piece of land per time through valves.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I messed around with many systems, and finally used a conventional Lawn Irrigation timer with 24VAC solenoids.  I tried several styles of DC timers and solenoids, and they were too flakey.  No troubles with a plug in 6 station timer.   You may have to check the programming capability to see about doing 1 station every 4 days
     Will you be pumping during good solar hours ( 10am - 2pm )  or do you need more hours than 4 ?  getting batteries to run a pump from in non-solar hours, gets expensive fast.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My latest irrigation project has a 24VDC  300W submersible pump with a single 410W panel, a MPPT controller, no batteries, the pump speed depends on how much current the panel can output, during the peak hours it runs at full speed 4000 rpm. This can easily fill a 1000 liter tank in less than 2 hours, a solenoid valve activates at night to gravity feed drip irrigation to coconut, mango, papaya and banana trees.

Still working on exactly how much water it can actually pump, the static water level is 4 meters, pump at 18 meters, well depth 40 meters, so efficiency is pretty good. Keeping things simple has a quality all of its own, it really depends on the scale of irrigation project, using existing off the shelf components as Mike has illudeed to, is often the cost effective solution, large sale may require significantly higher capacity and more sophisticated distribution, something not mentioned.

The pump described above is a small version ,total cost including panel ~$ 350, larger pumps are available including 3 phase but require more panels, what scale are we talking about? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • simorondo09
    I'm already doing irrigation with Manuel valves but I can see your point, Mike.
    I did get a course about PLC, in order to set up an automation project since my field is solar energy pumping, but still confused if PLC is the best solution or should I use another way.

To Answer your questions Mike, the pump really work in Peak Sun Hours only, no batteries. I'm just looking to enhance the irrigation with automation solutions 
  • simorondo09
    But mcgivor I'm looking for automation solutions, solar energy pumping system is already set up