Wiring Question

Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
I purchased an all in one small solar system a year ago. One of the components in the box ended up melting. I contacted Amazon where I originally purchased it and they sent me a new box that houses the battery, control, and other electrical components. 
So I now have two sets of 30watt panels. My question is can I wire the extra 30watt panel into the same cable running to the box? We had originally extended the cable run with an oversized guage, so that shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the charge control is rated at though. Wonder if it could end up overcharging.
Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Here's the kit that I ordered for reference...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013BBD70O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_37yOFbBCN9AT9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 #2
    My initial thought is that the system is more than likely designed to function as is, adding more PV may overwhelm the capacity of the PWM  (assumption) charge controller possibly resulting in failure,.The rational behind this is that the recommendations for grid power is a 9V 2A maximum power supply, which is 19W, approximately what would be expected from a 30W array. 

Many of these small setups are built to marginal specifications in order to keep pricing low, which may be reflected by its failure in the first place, this is one opinion, there may be differing opinions from others.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Crystal
    Yes thank you mcgivor. That's kind of what we were thinking as well. 
    We have a seperate system that's a  bit larger...
    100 watt panel that charges two rv /marine batteries. I wonder if we could use the extra 30watt panel to boost that instead...
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The panel(s) has a rating of 30W at 10V which is oddball, the 100W is likely 18-21V so not a match unfortunately. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mcgivor said:
    The panel(s) has a rating of 30W at 10V which is oddball, the 100W is likely 18-21V so not a match unfortunately. 
    Yes, It's an odd voltage. I looked earlier at the system, looks like a dedicated lithium pack and output at 5volt, USB. 

The lamps all use USB plugs...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Crystal
    Dang was hoping to be able to utilize the extra 30watt panel somehow.
    Perhaps we could wire in a larger charge control to the dedicated lithium pack system. With a larger charge control it could support 60watts?

Any clever ideas are appreciated. 
    Thanks!