Nickel cadmium potentially great for off grid?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
I met an investor who bought nickel cadmium batteries for off grid solar. Said they are not available in the US - only through Japan - and very expensive. I have not studied nickel cadmium but there are several issues with lithium:
1) Plates (deteriorates) when fully charged. We are exhorted to store them at ~ 40% - 60% charge.
2) Rapid charge deteriorates them.
3) Poor performance in cold weather.
4) Charging when freezing destroys them.
5) Two weeks, or more, of storage while stone dead basically kills them. 

Being a tool junkie I bought a Delta nickel cadmium drill, at least 13 years ago, and forgot about it. Pulled it out this year and charged it up. Seems fine. Kind of impressed with that. But not sure how the Japanese addressed the memory issue with cadmium. 

I remember one forum poster who spoke highly of cadmium for solar - that was years ago. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    NiCad had been a popular rechargeable battery chemistry... Much more rugged and harder to damage than most tech. Was used in some aircraft because of the high current and fast recharging capabilities decades ago.

The big push to ban Cadmium because of it is a heavy metal and was responsible for a fair number of poisonings (one was when used as a plating material--Refrigerator shelving as an example, and folks use old shelf on a fire as a grill--And got sick (and died?) from cadmium poisoning.

And now, not easy to dispose/recycle cadmium anymore.

The memory issue was mostly a problem with satellites--In orbit they had very exact charging and discharging times/AH cycles that were pretty much identical (orbital and sun position, shading from earth). With hundreds of identical cycles, there was a point where the discharged/charged material formed a layer. And the uncycled material formed large grains (and less surface area). And if the discharge went past the other 100's of cycles, the voltage/current output depressed and the electronics/loads failed to operate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NiFe batteries are actually more bullet proof then NiCad, and use the same charge settings.  But they may be less efficient when recharging - I never looked up NiCad efficency.  NiFe is about 70%, FLA is 80%, AGM 90%, LFP is 96%.   So it depends on how large you want to grow your array too.  NiFe pretty much won't freeze until after you are an icicle, and the electrolyte is pretty much the same as NiCad.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    NiFe batteries are actually more bullet proof then NiCad, and use the same charge settings.  But they may be less efficient when recharging - I never looked up NiCad efficency.  NiFe is about 70%, FLA is 80%, AGM 90%, LFP is 96%.   So it depends on how large you want to grow your array too.  NiFe pretty much won't freeze until after you are an icicle, and the electrolyte is pretty much the same as NiCad.
    I've wanted to revisit nickel plated iron batteries for a long time. Seems there is only one big manufacturer and they seem to be plagued with quality control issues. 

They use alkalinity instead of acidity for their electrolyte. That poses safety concerns with a populace that apparently requires owners manuals that implores them to not drink the acid in the batteries.

Combining acids and alkaline's is really quite exciting. To be avoided unless it is excitement, and health issues, that one seeks. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries