MidNite Solar

Trukinbear
Trukinbear Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
 I lament having spent a year's worth of my disability on all this MidNite Solar stuff I have. After the incident where at the close of business on a Friday they told me that my broken MidNite Classic 250 that had been in service for 9 months, was actually 9 years old and out of warranty - that I should send it in with the equivalent of a blank check (without even trying to diagnose my problems) - I melted down over the weekend and shot my mouth off on their forum. I went back and deleted it even before they told me on Tuesday that they'd cover my unit under warranty, and I apologized... and have done so several times since. Now they just ignore me, I've got an open service ticket (over a week old) with no contact back, nobody from MidNite will answer any of my questions. I'm trying to (I must be an idiot) buy more stuff, but have questions - they just ignore me. I sing their praise on all the other forums, and to my constant parade of neighbors who want solar advise - but should I? Anybody else piss them off and now can't deal with them. or is this just me?
SMA Solar Sunny Island SI6048
JA Solar 330W 'Cypress series' 72 cell panels (18)
MidNite Solar Classic 250 MPPT charge controllers (2)
MidNite Solar MODBUS/Canbus communications adaptor for Sunny Island
MidNite Solar SMA-OG E-panel
MidNite Solar WhizBang Jr current sensor
MidNite Solar MNSPD300V surge protection device (3)
MidNite Solar MNSHUNT 50mv/500A DC shunt
MidNite Solar MNSOB3R-4P PV array shut off box
MidNite Solar Birdhouse 1 RSS initiator
MidNite Solar Battery disconnect module
MidNite Solar Disconnect PSB
Atkinson GSCM mini-i generator start module
Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-8000 8HDKAK diesel inverter generator
Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel QD-3200 3.2HDZAA diesel cycloconverter generator
24-125-11 Monterey Industrial 'Big Sur' 986Ah 48V battery
285-gallon diesel fuel tank
Off the grid on the PNW coast

Comments

• Trukinbear
    Well, somebody must cruise these forums - lo and behold they are talking to me now. I just want to be a customer, not a pain in the ass - I'm actually trying to get info about buying another product, you'd think they'd be happy.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your classic 250 is one of those special order models that were custom configured and are lacking some features, those weren't even warranted. if they are going to help you with one of those consider yourself lucky.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Trukinbear
    No, it was the full retail version the Classic 250V purchased at retail. I need all those features, well some of them anyway.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020 #5
    Hello T...bear,

What is the exact model number of the Classics?  Thought that you  were using Classic 250 CPs,   custom made for DC Solar,  who went bankrupt,   and their assets were sold and auctioned-off..

The trailers usually had a pair of SMA Si 6048s,   FLA batteries,   etc.    Seems to fairly closely match your setup   ...

The 250 CPs were not in any retail sales channel,   that I know of.

Some discussion,  on this,  here:
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/355470/setting-up-a-sma-si6048-battery-backup-ac-dc-coupled-grid-tied-system-dc-solar-trailer

Enquiring minds would like to know.   Thanks,Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    edited October 2020 #6
    T...bear:

Just to try to be honest,  in the following Thread on the MN Forum,  MN personnel appear to have posted about 13 replies,  over three pages of posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5000.0

And in the following Thread,  MN personnel replied five times on a single forum page:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5021.0

And,  once in the following,  to your two posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5015.0

Three times here,  to your five posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5016.0

There are probably other Threads that you have started on the MN Forum,  but,   just to me,  it really does seem that MN has NOT been ignoring you,   and,  as is customary with the MN support,  you are getting support from Founders/Principals,  Tech folks,   and Ryan,  who may still be the Sales Manager.

You really seem,  in all honesty,  to being getting a LOT of support.   I am a real fan of MidNite Solar,   because  they make very capable and innovative products,  they are a very honest company,  who makes their products in the USA,   they have a Forum,   and a basic founding principle of the company is no BS,  honest support of customers.   Many other companies in the Solar biz do not have this type of credo,  honestly.

From a MN FanBoy,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • mahendra
    mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I also find it weird for someone to say they are not receiving support from midnite solar. 
    I have a wbjr that failed out of warranty. 
    That they offered to replace. It just turned out that I am not in the US so getting call the office was much more difficult for me and to a large extent my negligence.i instead bought a new wbjr. 
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020 #8

The online discussion and help may have continued there but we are here to help you, too.  :)

• Trukinbear
    Vic said:
    T...bear:

Just to try to be honest,  in the following Thread on the MN Forum,  MN personnel appear to have posted about 13 replies,  over three pages of posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5000.0

And in the following Thread,  MN personnel replied five times on a single forum page:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5021.0

And,  once in the following,  to your two posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5015.0

Three times here,  to your five posts:
    http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5016.0

There are probably other Threads that you have started on the MN Forum,  but,   just to me,  it really does seem that MN has NOT been ignoring you,   and,  as is customary with the MN support,  you are getting support from Founders/Principals,  Tech folks,   and Ryan,  who may still be the Sales Manager.

You really seem,  in all honesty,  to being getting a LOT of support.   I am a real fan of MidNite Solar,   because  they make very capable and innovative products,  they are a very honest company,  who makes their products in the USA,   they have a Forum,   and a basic founding principle of the company is no BS,  honest support of customers.   Many other companies in the Solar biz do not have this type of credo,  honestly.

From a MN FanBoy,   Vic

Those 5 posts you refer to were the day before yesterday after MidNite Solar's people read all the stuff I posted elsewhere (and this post)  - also the day before yesterday as indicated in that post they finally addressed my 14-day old trouble ticket, lots of stuff happened after those posts. MNSURPLUS never answered my questions via eBay, I finally got those answers (as you can see) here - but I asked MNSURPLUS repeated questions via eBay over a period of weeks - that is why I was asking if anybody knew if it was actually MidNite Solar. 

I've gotten a LOT of support? I went 15 days with what could have been a real safety issue and nobody would tell me if it was, or wasn't. Yesterday I got an answer thru their forum. All I got (until I made a stink) was an email saying my trouble ticket had been accepted, never heard back or even got a trouble ticket number - it appeared to have been deleted right after I submitted it. 

And boB, you seemed to indicate in the forum that the MNSOB wouldn't work with the classic charge controllers, but Ryan says it will and I found a video where you guys use an MNSOB and a Classic charge controller, and when I asked (in the forum) about it everyone just clammed up. I hope Ryan is right because I bought that piece of equipment from MNSURPLUS and it should be here today - I'd like to have done this three weeks ago, now winter is bearing down on me. 

Last year I CALLED and was rudely told that everything I needed to know about the MODBUS/Canbus SMA communications adaptor was in the pamphlet that came in the box (it wasn't). 

But ok, I am getting service now.
  • Trukinbear
    edited October 2020 #10
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have spent a year's income on MidNite Solar's products if I didn't like them - knowing if I had hooked something up wrong, or if it was defective (on my 120V side) was something I would have slept better knowing sooner than a couple of weeks later. Yes, someone said something in the forum, not much and I had no idea if it was somebody official, I don't believe it was - I wanted to hear it from MidNite Solar which is why I'd put in a Trouble Ticket. And the one with 13 replies, didn't actually fix my issue (caused another one) but I'm just going to ignore it. Probably a sign of early failure, I hope not.
  • Vic
    Vic said:
    Hello T...bear,

What is the exact model number of the Classics?  ...  Thanks,Vic
    Still curious about the EXACT model number for your CLassic 250s,   please.   Thanks again,   Vic
  • Trukinbear
    edited October 2020 #12
    I have the retail version(s) with all the bells and whistles - the Classic 250V (rev 4). My SMA inverter is the only thing that came from the DC Solar auction, everything else was purchased at retail from authorized MidNite Solar dealers. 

They did repair my Classic 250, and I appreciate that - but the long weekend of both being at half power and thinking I'd been ripped off and thinking my $1100 unit was going to cost me probably half that to fix with nobody discussing anything with me (like what is is doing exactly? or have to tried this?) but send it in and we'll tell you how much money you owe us - did leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. By Monday my Doctor had to prescribe me tranquilizers, I was a basket case, and though they did do a quick turnaround that I appreciate, two weeks at half power cost me a bunch of diesel fuel. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Taking this a bit serious! Take care of yourself. None of this is worth having to see a Doctor for.

Service people need to see the device before they can quote it. Midnite is a good company and I frankly have trouble seeing your side on this. 

Friday !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Trukinbear
    Wow! Taking this a bit serious! Take care of yourself. None of this is worth having to see a Doctor for.

Service people need to see the device before they can quote it. Midnite is a good company and I frankly have trouble seeing your side on this. 

Friday !
    My side being I have almost an entire system of their products, that I really like their products, that I sing their praise in most forums,  that I appreciate that they fixed my unit, that I appreciate the quick turn around... that one?
  • Trukinbear
    And you missed something in there - that I'd bought the unit new nine months earlier and when I contact them they say the unit is 9 years old, out of warranty, and I'm screwed. I've got an entire weekend wondering just how screwed I was, did I get ripped off buying the unit, did I buy old stock that wasn't warranted? I didn't pay wasn't warranted price. Send it in we'll tell you what it costs! I'm a three-time cancer survivor soon to not be a four-time survivor and I'm racing the clock to get this system totally hands free for the elderly woman on a respirator, and my special needs son neither of which even realizes we aren't on the grid, or why that I am leaving behind. 
  • Trukinbear
    edited October 2020 #16
    Vic said:
    T...bear:

Just to try to be honest,

Oh wow! I missed this the first time I read it - I'm a Quaker elder that has spent my whole life avoiding even the little white lies that you folks tell even your loved ones, and yourselves - that is quite offensive. 

What else don't you believe? You want me to take photos of all the equipment in my signature? <we do not go there. -Bill "moderator" B>
  • Trukinbear
    edited October 2020 #17
    Vic said:
    Hello T...bear,

What is the exact model number of the Classics?  Thought that you  were using Classic 250 CPs,   custom made for DC Solar,  who went bankrupt,   and their assets were sold and auctioned-off..

The trailers usually had a pair of SMA Si 6048s,   FLA batteries,   etc.    Seems to fairly closely match your setup   ...

The 250 CPs were not in any retail sales channel,   that I know of.

Some discussion,  on this,  here:
    https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/355470/setting-up-a-sma-si6048-battery-backup-ac-dc-coupled-grid-tied-system-dc-solar-trailer

Enquiring minds would like to know.   Thanks,Vic
    Gee Vic, I realize now you were calling me a liar in a backhanded way. <nope--We do not do that here. -Bill Moderator B.>!
  • Trukinbear
    You probably doubt I just bought the new MidNite Solar products that just showed up in my signature too, right jerk?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I understand you are not happy with some of your issues with Midnite... But we do not start calling people names.

I don't think Vic's comment was what you believe it to be (this is not the Vic we know here)--But that is for him to address or not.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Trukinbear
    BB. said:
    I understand you are not happy with some of your issues with Midnite... But we do not start calling people names.

I don't think Vic's comment was what you believe it to be (this is not the Vic we know here)--But that is for him to address or not.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    I am happy enough with MidNite Solar to spend money on their products - today. All I wanted was for them to help me, which after this post they started doing. Ok, sorry I called him a jerk - don't appreciate being called a liar. 
  • Trukinbear
    Bought most of it from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, so I'm sure it's appropriate to kick me off this forum for defending my honor as a Quaker. 

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought most of it from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, so I'm sure it's appropriate to kick me off this forum for defending my honor as a Quaker. 
    Relax a bit, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun lets this forum be an oasis to share meaningful information. Since it appears you are on your way to having setup that "...totally hands free" system, perhaps you could honor us by helping others who don't understand systems as well as you do!

Welcome to the forum, hope each day gets a little better! They are all gifts!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • New_Mexico_Will
    New_Mexico_Will Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I had an issue with a Midnite product, and was not happy with the response, so I don't buy Midnite anymore.  Problem solved.
  • Trukinbear
    Photowhit said:

Relax a bit, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun lets this forum be an oasis to share meaningful information. Since it appears you are on your way to having setup that "...totally hands free" system, perhaps you could honor us by helping others who don't understand systems as well as you do!

Welcome to the forum, hope each day gets a little better! They are all gifts!
    Thank you for the welcome and kind words. I try to be helpful when I can. Not there yet with the 'totally hands-free' system though I am lightyears beyond where I started. I'm afraid overall my goal is not doable, well not totally doable. As it sits now unless someone ran a gas line here (nearest one over 100 miles away) and I had a Capstone fuel cell for backup and making up for bad sun days, or if by some miracle I could hook back to the grid where my system would shine - it will never be totally hands-off, I'm trying to make arrangments for the fuel delivery guy to maintain the generators when he makes his delivery. If I can take care of that end which isn't a fully permanent solution, the other is just ironing out any remaining wrinkles in the system.