Schneider mppt 60 150 goes into float too early.

latinhawk
latinhawk Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
I have 15 280w panels on a midnite solar classic connected to an sw4048 from Schneider. I have a second array of 3 370w on a small makeskyblue controller. I'm in the process of replacing the Midnite solar controller with a Schneider mppt 60 150. I needed to test it so I removed the makeskyblue controller wich was the easier one for me. It works znd I can control it via my combox. However, I can't access the custom charger battery menu. can see it but can't move the sliders. The Schneider mppt 60 150 goes into float while the Midnite solar classic is still in absorb. Any ideas? Any help will be welcome. Just in case it matters I live in Puerto Rico and I usually top my batteries with solar. I have 32 6 vdc golf cart batteries. Thanks.

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Schneider terminates absorption at 2% of the amp hours "you" configure the charger for. If you want to run the full absorb time and not terminate at 2%, set the AH at zero or close to it.

When using combox in the C menu, you have to select it and hit enter. You may need to be in advanced settings? I can't remember this for sure and someone else probably can.  Did this ever work correctly or is it new to you?

You should have an SCP also to have back-up for combox which is not supported and was replaced with Gateway. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• latinhawk
    It's new to me. The combox works fine except for the custom charger where I can't make changes.
  • latinhawk
    The only place where I can set ah is in the battery bank size. If you know of a different location please let me know.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited October 2020 #5
    Keep in mind there are 2 chargers. The inverter/ charger and any mppt chargers on the network.

Describe exactly what you do in the custom battery menu. (you said custom charger above)
     Most likely you are not making a change and then hitting enter on the selected lit button. It should stay when you go to another choice. This is a common problem with new users.

The other thing is there is a range for each of the custom battery choices. If you are programming outside the range, it will not allow you to enter for safety reasons.

• latinhawk
    On the controller side the only place that I can find is the custom charger section. In that section the sliders won't move so I'm unable to make the adjustments. The save and the recycle button do work in that section but because I'm unable to make a change there is no use to doing a save.
  • Dave Angelini
    The device menu on combox has a mppt controller ? Right? When selected it should have a choice of custom battery menu. 
    What are you able to adjust? Were you able to change the battery capacity from my post # 2?

I think you are going to need to post some pictures of what you are describing. I have to go but someone else may have an idea.

• latinhawk
    I can change the battery capacity but I'm leery of zeroing it out. I took some screenshots that I am attaching. If you look at the image for custom charger it's greyed out.
  • Dave Angelini
     Ah Ha !  Looks like you are not using combox to program but using with the mobile app. 

I stopped using the App about 3 years ago when Gateway replaced Combox.

Maybe it can work still and others can chime in. Is the App the most current out there? Good Luck!

» Conext ComBox Android tablet application

Conext Combox Solar Monitoring App

This product is discontinued. For technical support, please visit here.

Can you please try the Combox and a PC ?  Also your absorb and bulk voltages look low. Are they what your battery make specifies?

• latinhawk
    The combox is wired to my home network. I access it via the app supplied by the manufacturer. I have always made the changes that way. I don't know any other way to do it. 
  • latinhawk
    I just entered through the web browser but it still doesn't allow changes. Please see the pictures I am attaching. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Hmmm   OK so there is an issue. Sorry to be a pain about new user before. It has happened though....

You could try going back to the charger settings and change from custom to flooded and see if that allows you to change the values.

If that does not work then I think it would be good to do a power cycle of everything. Remove battery and grid power from everything for 5 minutes or so. Make sure the solar input disco is off so the system all goes to zero volts DC. Then power up and test.

If that does not work, I would restore defaults on mppt and combox.

You have lightning protection or SPD's? In PR it is very common for grid surges or lightning to corrupt devices.

• latinhawk
    I have lightning protection and it has not been tripped.I wil try your suggestions anf will let you know. Thanks.
  • latinhawk
    Ok. In part some of what you said make do some changes. I was trying to use custom settings while in flooded mode. I changed to custom in the main charger settings. I went in through a web browser and I was able to make the changes. Please see images. Thanks a lot for being my sounding board.
  • latinhawk
    I still have the original problem of going into float too early.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you calibrated both charge controllers battery voltage reading with the actual battery voltage?
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • latinhawk
    The truth is I have no idea how to make that change on the Schneider. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Hint !  It is in post # 2......

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020 #19
    What are the settings of the Midnight controller? Having two controllers on a common battery bank  with different settings will make trouble shooting extremely difficult. The best approach would be to use the Schneider controller independently, if for example the Midnight is set at a higher voltage, longer absorption or higher end amps than the Schneider, the latter may be supplying less than the fixed 2% end amps, thus ending absorption. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • latinhawk
    The settings are about the same on the controllers. Since I don't know where to adjust the voltage settings on the Schneider, I took it's reading as good and adjusted the Midnite Classic 150 to match up to the Schneider reading.

As suggested by Angelini I increased the ah's on the battery bank size to compensate for the 2%. The result is instead of 900ah I now have 918ah as the battery size.

I will see what happens today with those adjustments made. Thanks a lot to both of you. 
  • Dave Angelini
    That is not what I suggested  "to go up" in post number 2.

If there is a language barrier, Schneider has a Spanish manual on the website. You might read the posts again.

• latinhawk
    The only place where ah can be inserted is there. The spanish manual is bad not very wel translated an I did not get the english one. However, if you can be more specific as to where that parameter might be I will gladly change it.
  • latinhawk
    The following images illustrate what are the settings. As you will be able to see there are no other slots for an ah parameter.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The voltage settings are adjustable on the Schneider 60 - 150 itself in the battery menu, or via SCP or Combox, I'll say it again having two controllers, especially the larger capacity array one, the  Midnight, controlling the game you're chasing your tail. Even a voltage drop between itself and the battery could offset it's ability to transition to float because it doesn't have separate voltage sence input connection like a Morningstar controller, the apparent  voltage it sees is at the controller itself. The smaller Schneider system may see the battery voltage as actual, thus going into float, because it has little voltage drop, playing second fiddle to the dominant controller.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • latinhawk
    That part will be remedied when I ger the technician here to swap them out.