Ok, this time I am serious (Texas)

Hey12
Hey12 Registered Users Posts: 15
I just purchased some solar panels (4 Kyocera model# KC130TM) I thought at a really great price.  I want to run these panels directly for my koi pond pump. I am not sure as to what exactly besides the panels I will need.  The pump is a Little Giant WGP-95-PW Direct Drive Dual Discharge Pump - 4280 GPH. If this worked, it would definitely save on my energy bill. Any thoughts on exactly what I will need to get this running?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #2
    What is the sticker on the back of the panels :
    Vmp __
    Voc__
    Imp__
    Ioc__
    max series fuse__

And then, what is the power requirements for your pump
    Volts DC  ___
    Amps DC  ___
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    The short answer--It will be fairly expensive to setup a solar power + battery + AC inverter system to run your 700 Watt @ 110 VAC split capacitor pump.

It does depend on what you are trying to do... Do you want a system that only runs during daylight? Do you want 24 hour a day operation? Do you have AC power available to the pump?

If you are trying to save money... First you should measure the power used by the existing pump with a KIll-a-Watt type meter:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kill-a-watt+meter&crid=1Q15KNJUHJJFA&sprefix=kill-a-watt,aps,281&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11

You will find a 700 Watt motor running 24x7x30 days a month--That is as much power as the average North American home uses in a month:
    • 700 Watts = 0.7 kWatts
    • 0.7 kWatts * 24 hours per day * 30 Days per month = 504 kWH per month (average home uses around 500-1,000 WH per month)
    Typically, with solar power, you try to find the smallest/most efficient "device" you can that does just what you need (and perhaps limited hours per day)--All to save energy usage.

We can go into great depth of design--But it probably would not be cost effective for you just to power this as a pond pump.

The cheapest and easiest method to solar power on a home is to install a "Grid Tied" solar power system. Basically, solar array + GT AC Inverters which connect directly to your main breaker panel. You (usually) need a building permit, utility approval, and an electrician/solar installer (can be a DIY project--But lots of details to work out first).

GT Solar is usually very cost effective--However, there can be issues (local utility may not allow, HOA may have issues, you need roof/land clear of trees/buildings/shade to get direct sunlight, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like that pump is listed as 115v@6.3 amps. 700 watts. That's a lot of power, depending how many hours per day you want to run.
    Seems like an application for a DC pump (or more in parallel if needed)
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
This discussion has been closed.