How I smoked two solar panels...

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭
It is pretty clear that I am not good at hooking up solar panels. A couple misadventures have now been notched.

I left two panels unconnected after a failed attempt to feed my 24V system with six panels. Today I endeavored to re-connect them. Still somewhat exhausted from a grueling rental rebuild trip to southern Florida (5000 miles of solo driving, 101F effective heat etc.- I decided to bypass the combiner box since only two panels were being used. 

Still unsure what I did wrong. Magic smoke appeared when I hooked up the second wire to the main combiner box. I was being mentally lazy to be sure. 

Wasn't a big deal to replace the two panels. Curiously things look fine inside the diode box. No odor either. Except no power is produced. Smoked diodes? They look easy to replace.  

Possible to fix the panels? Everything looks fine so I currently suspect the diodes.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might take a multimeter and measure either side of the diodes. I think there a a 'semi normal' setup on junction boxes for 60 and 72 cell panels.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭
    aluminum colored panels look odd with the dark anodized panels. Wonder where I can get some 60 cell dark anodized panels. They run from 175 watts to almost 200 I think.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries