Batteries needed for startup?

Options
Karen
Karen Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hi there, I am very new to solar, and struggling to make sense of what batteries I need for appx 2200AH per day (allowing for 35% max battery discharge, and enough for 3 days supply in winter times). The inverter/charge controller is 48v. I have worked out I need about 8  6v batteries of 285AH (or 20  12v batteries of 120AH). I am thinking of AGM lead carbon deep cycle batteries - 8 batteries x 6v in series. Can you experts give me a thumbs up or down on whether this will work. I assume there is no advantage of having a larger bank of 12v batteries - please correct me if I am wrong. Please reply at idiot level - I am not very up on all the techy details. THANKS
Karen in temperate northern France.

Comments

• NLVMike
    NLVMike Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options
    You might consider a bank of 2V FLA batteries. Your idea of using the 6V would work, but I would not recommend 20, 12V batteries.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Karen.

Can you tell me a bit more about your loads/battery calculations? I am guessing you are needing a 2,200 AH @ 48 volt battery bank based on wanting to discharge around 35% per day?

That would make your daily loads to be:
    • 2,200 AH * 0.35 discharge * 48 volts * 0.85 AC inverter eff = 31,416 WH per day ~ 31.4 kWH per day
    That is a lot of energy per day--Basically a full Home with (possibly) electric heat/hot water and some possible light A/C usage.

Generally--Suggest to review your loads and do as much conservation as you can (most efficient loads/LED lighting/refrigerator/water pump, using propane/wood/etc. for hot water/cooking/heating, lots of insulation/double pane windows, etc.). It is almost always cheaper to conserve power than to generate it.

And, a large expensive battery bank--Very expensive if you make any mistakes (over discharge, leave some extra power items on away from home, have guest staying there while you are gone, etc.). And AGM batteries will typically last around 5-7 years, and then you have to replace the large/very expensive bank for the next 5-7 years.

A larger array/backup genset may also be a help for those (hopefully) rare days where you have 3+ days of bad weather/no sun.

Just to get an idea of how much sun you have, guessing Caen France, fixed array, facing south:
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Caen
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 41° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

Anything below 3 hours of sun per day is not great... When you are down in the 1 hour of sun per day, that is very difficult for solar (marine layer near Channel?)

Using December 1.16 hours of sun per day and my guess at your power needs:
    • 31,416 WH per day * 1/0.61 AGM off grid AC system eff * 1/1.16 hours of sun = 44,398 Watt array for "December break even" energy usage
    And if full time off grid, suggest at 10% to 13% (or more) solar array for charging battery bank (batteries should be charged at least at 10% rate of charge):
    • 2,200 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 16,571 Watt array nominal
    • 2,200 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.13 rate of charge = 21,543 Watt array next step larger
    If you had a 16,571 Watt array and 31.4 kWH of load per day, the hours of sun needed to "break even" would be:
    • 31.416 WH per day * 1/0.61 AGM AC off grid system eff * 1/16.571 Watt array = 3.1 hours of sun per day
    Or that array would support you from March through September (need to reduce loads in winter and/or use genset and/or larger array).

Anyway--Some thoughts. Your questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Karen
    Options
    Hi - thanks for your replies. I am going to need a bit of time to work through your info - its late at night here, so I will do that tomorrow pm. For the moment - how I got the figures: The initial starting point I took was the average energy usage over the last 2 years from energy use on-grid  by looking at my monthly kw usage. This averages  350kw per month. Then I used this to find the daily rate 350kw/30 = 11,670watts - then multiplied it by 3 to allow for 3 days without charging up in the winter, and then multiplied it by 3 so as not to drain the batteries more than a third. So the result is then divided by 48v = c 2200AH
    Electricity is being used for usual stuff, plus water heating plus quite a lot of strimming in summer (but not space heating nor cooking).
    The figures for sun in Caen, which is not far from here, are a lot lower than I thought. We generally get quite a lot of light even in winter (compared to UK which is much more overcast), so I am surprised that they are so low.
    Bye for now
    Karen

• BB.
    Options
    Karen,

If the first link does not look right/close to your actual location, you can try PVWatts--Or find some European data somewhere (I don't have any links handy).

https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php

11,670 WH a day is a lot more reasonable... For a small/highly efficient cabin/home, you can possibly even get down to ~3,300 WH per day (basically 100kWH per month). Not everyone will reach that--But is a good goal to strive for--And keep the system size/costs low.

You are trying to get your 3 days of load with only a 35% depth of discharge cycling. Realistically, cycling 25% per average day is a good depth of discharge for a Flooded Cell deep cycle lead acid battery bank... That is 2 days of storage to 50%, and does leave you another 50% to 20% state of charge (30% cycling) for the few times a year that you need the extra storage--However, if you discharge to 20%, it is  very good idea to recharge back to >~75% state of charge the next day... You don't want to leave the battery near 20% state of charge (will sulfate quickly).

While you can change the size of the bank (say 3 days to 50% discharge), I will start with 2 days to 50% "planned" discharge--Usually gives a good price/performance system design.

Sizing the battery bank (assuming flooded cell lead acid for calculations below):
    • 11,670 WH per day * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 2 days storage * 1/0.50 max "planned" discharge * 1/48 volt battery bank = 1,144 AH @ 48 volts
    Then there is sizing the array based on battery bank capacity. 5% for weekend/summer usage. 10%-13%+ for full time off grid system:
    • 1,144 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.05 rate of charge = 4,309 Watt array minimum
    • 1,144 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 8,617 Watt array nominal
    • 1,144 AH * 58, volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.13 rate of charge = 11,202 Watt array "typical" cost effective maximum (if you have poor winter sun, you may want more like 20 or 25% rate of charge)
    • 1,144 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.25 rate of charge = 19,515 Watt array "practical" (?) maximum for lead acid batteries (hard to get more current into the batteries)
    And sizing the array for hours of sun per day... Toss the bottom 3 months, assuming you use less power in winter and/or use a genset for bad weather:
    • 11,670 WH per day * 1/0.52 FLA off grid AC power system eff * 1/2.35 hours of sun (Feb) = 9,550 Watt array (Feb "break" even)
    If you want to see what December 1.16 "break even" array looks like:
    • 11,670 WH per day * 1/0.52 FLA off grid AC power system eff * 1/1.16 hours of sun (December) = 19,347 Watt array (December "break" even)
    I think a 1,144 AH @ 48 volt is a better fit for your nominal design. The batteries may not last quite as long as your large bank--But it will also cost about 1/2 as much to buy/replace the bank... You an also look at different battery types (standard deep cycle batteries vs forklift/traction batteries, etc.--Spend more money for better but fewer batteries).

If you still need 3 days and no-genset---Taking the battery sizing equation and changing from 2x to 3x storage (and keep 50% max discharge), I think will give you are more cost effective system... A huge battery bank is expensive and not easy to wire and maintain. And it can force a larger solar array (backup genset charger) because it is so large. Cycling to 50% a hand full of days a year is not going to "kill" the battery bank--But you do want to get it on charge soon (not sit partially charged and sulfating).

This is still a larger system--And your sun in winter does not look great. There are other things you can do such as point 1/2 of the array south east, and the other 1/2 of the array south west--You will collect a bit less sun, but you will have more hours "on charge". Lead Acid batteries like many hours on charge (6-10+ hours or so), and splitting your array gives a "virtual" tracking array (instead of a true 1 or 2 axis mechanical tracking set of arrays) and more hours per day "on charge". Solar Panels are generally cheap enough these days that a slightly larger split array costs less than a full 2 axis array. And using PVWatts, it appears a 2 axis tracker will only up your harvest to ~1.24 Hours of sun per day--Not that much more.

Batteries have a limited life (5-7 years typical for "standard" deep cycle batteries, you can get 15-20+ years for "traction batteries"--Talk to your battery vendor about your needs).

Still lots of issues and details to discuss--So don't buy any hardware just yet.

Also, this is a pretty big system--Do you have a designer/installer picked out, or are you trying to build this system yourself?

Even if you have an installer, doing this work up front will help you better understand your installer's questions, and help you and him make better choices for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The More of your loads you can shift to daytime (between 9am  & 3pm) while the PV panels are producing, the less your battery will need to support overnight.  Just  some lights and a fridge may only need 3-5 kwh overnight. Run the heavy stuff daytimes.
     Eight 6V golf cart batteries (200ah ea) is the cheap, 3 year way to build a battery bank
    You should have a generator to supply power on cloudy days
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Karen
    Options
    Hi Mike, and Bill, thanks for your comments. I have had a deep dive into re-figuring what I can do, as I realised my idea for a system was not likely to be practical after your post Bill, so thanks for that. Now I have just about recovered from a weekend of headaches!!!!

I have spent a while trying to get to grips with what might work, what I can remove from electric, and have come to the conclusion the electric water heating is just not feasible in winter as the immersion gobbles lots of extra watts. So I will look for a non-solar way of heating shower / kitchen water (any of your experiences/tips welcome on this. A bath in winter would be a welcome occasional luxury too).

Here is my revised idea (some details about the batteries I have in mind will follow). At the moment I am working to a 4.5kw daily use, with winter sunshine 2 hours (near Caen northern France), and 3 day back up, and 50% max discharge of batteries. The inverter I have already bought is 48v version.

I calculate I need - 12 x 250w solar panels
    and 8 x 6v batteries at 230ah each

this will also allow me to put a few extra solar panels up later (maybe to heat immersion in daytime only? 1.2kw immersion heater).

Does this look like a feasible idea to you pros?
    Thanks
    Karen

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 #8
    Options
    All the conversation so far is based on lead acid batteries, they are however not the most efficient due to their inherent chemical reactions that  require long periods of charging to achieve full charge. Their rate of allowable charge is only a fraction of their lithium counterparts such as LiFePo4 which  can accept which is up to 1C (for a 100Ah battery for example the charge current could theroitically be 100A ) with no lengthy absorption, this allows a significantly larger array to charge in less time, though it's probably better not to push the envelope.

This translates directly to auxillary charging by allowing a generator to operate more efficiently as well as for a shorter amount of time. Additional benefits include not having to worry about partial state of charge, no routine maintenance, individual cell monitoring, less voltage drop under load, longer life expectancy, overload protection, under voltage protection at a cellular level, short circuit protection, over temperature protection, under temperature protection if applicable, cell ballancing if applicable and more, when the correct BMS is used.

The only disadvantage is their inability to be charged at near or below freezing, their initial cost is higher but that is offset by the cycle expectancy, lead acid is in theroy simple, but in reality far more complicated, much like old cars before electronic intervention, yes you could make adjustments manually but the modern ECU controlled vehicles notify the operator when a parameter is not within  specification and may disable itself as a self protection.

Making decisions based on initial costs is a false economy, in my opinion and that opinion is based on experience.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Karen
    Options
    Thanks for your input and info on Lithium batteries. Unfortunately very limited finances necessitate a lower start up cost than these. I am looking at Lead carbon agm batteries, based on the fact that I am not techy, and if I do the minimum to make sure the batteries are charged up, and don't drain them lower than 50%, then if should be virtually foolproof for a tech luddite like me.
    Karen
  • BB.
    Options
    Just to run some numbers for a 8x 6 volt @ 230 AH per battery bank. Charging:
    • 230 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 866 Watt array minimum
    • 230 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,732 Watt array nominal (minimum recommended)
    • 230 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 2,252 Watt array next step up
    Your proposed array:
    • 12 * 250 Watt panels = 3,000 Watts
    • 3,000 Watts * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/58 volts charging = 40 Amps charging
    • 40 amps / 230 AH = 0.174 = 17.4% rate of charge (usually a maximum of 20-25% rate of charge)
    With >13% rate of charge, make sure you have a solar charge controller with a remote battery temperature sensor. With high(er) rates of charge, it is possible to overheat the battery bank (battery bank gets hot, charging voltage falls, controller "thinks" batteries need more charge, and they get hotter).

At 2.0 hours of sun per day in deep winter, your system will produced an average of:
    • 3,000 Watt array * 0.52 off grid system eff * 2 hours of sun per day (winter) = 3,120 WH per day (rough estimate)
    That is probably enough to keep an energy efficient refrigerator going, some LED lighting, running an LED TV, laptop computer a few hours per day, and a bit of water pumping... It an be done, but you have to be very careful about your loads vs battery bank state of charge.

There are battery monitor systems... Some that are voltage only. Others that you install a large precision resistor in the negative battery lead and it will keep track of the AmpHours into and out of the battery.

None of these devices is "fool proof". The ones measuring battery current in/out can "drift". So, you still need to watch the voltage (typically not fall under ~50-48 volts resting and not under ~46 volts under load (can drop lower for starting surge of water pump, etc.).

Just some product links to review--What is available in France may not be what you see here:

https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-mnbcms.html (simple voltage monitor only)
    http://smartgauge.co.uk/smartgauge.html (voltage monitor)
    https://www.solar-electric.com/victron-energy-bmv-712-smart-battery-monitor.html (with current resistor, fancy, very nice)

You can also find lots of meters (AC and DC) on Amazon and eBay:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dc+amp+hour+meter&crid=3VPQW322DC9IK&sprefix=dc+amphour+m%2Caps%2C232&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_12 (DC Meters)
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ac+watt+meter+240v&crid=WHE1AALAG49H&sprefix=ac+watt%2Caps%2C234&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-ap-p_6_7 (AC meters)

If you have appliances and AC power already--You can also get plug in Power Meters so you can better measure/plan your daily loads:

https://www.amazon.fr/s?k=kill+a+watt+meter&__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss

Regarding water heating... Certainly when it is sunny weather, solar water heating systems can work very nicely. More or less, 40 gallons of hot water per day per person, is something like a minimum of 40 sqft (~4 sqmeters) of solar collector per person (very rough estimate).

The problem with solar hot water--Is you become the plumber and electrician (water pipes, electric pump, etc.). And do it yourself solar (if you have the land) has been done in very cold climates too... Some things to read:

https://solarroofs.com/
    https://www.floridasolarhotwater.com/do-it-yourself
    https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarShed/solarshed.htm

Note that there are several major types of "hot water" systems... One is a simple, put fresh water in, circulate through panels, store in hot water tank (open loop system), a variation of open loop is the drain back system--In cold weather, drain water from solar panels so they don't freeze. Another uses antifreeze in solar panels (won't freeze overnight in winter) and an anti-freeze/fresh water heat exchanger (closed loop system).

There are wood stove water heating systems too... HOWEVER, anything using a wood stove and boiler can be very dangerous. There have been multiple steam explosions from improperly designed/installed/maintained boiler systems.

Using propane (or other fuel based heater--Tanked or tankless) in winter, and using solar heat during the other 6-9 months of the year is always an option.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    Options
    Karen said:
    Thanks for your input and info on Lithium batteries. Unfortunately very limited finances necessitate a lower start up cost than these. I am looking at Lead carbon agm batteries, based on the fact that I am not techy, and if I do the minimum to make sure the batteries are charged up, and don't drain them lower than 50%, then if should be virtually foolproof for a tech luddite like me.
    Karen
    I'd say NO to a set of Lead Carbon AGM as a starter set of batteries for you.   Very expensive and easy to damage AGM, with little recovery recourse.   If you had the wrong settings, or the generator failed mid storm, poof ! batteries gone.
      With cheap flooded lead acid GC2 batteries, you can get the system debugged, run a year or 3 and get a realistic figure as to your actual needs, and then replace the worn out batteries with the premium cost LC AGM.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• mcgivor
    edited September 2020 #12
    Options
    Karen said:
    Karen
    The 50% discharge should be an infrequent maximum, not a daily cycle used in capacity calculations,  doing so will significantly reduce their life expectancy, 35-40% would be a more realistic figure.To gain insight I found this site to be an excellent source of information when I was considering the switch to LFP, well worth reading regardless of which chemistry will be used.
    https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/simpliphi-pylontech-narada-bae-lead-acid-battery
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Karen
    Options
    Right so I am hopefully getting clearer. The main points I have picked up is that the maximum discharge I should give my batteries is 25%-30% on a regular basis (not 50%), and that I should monitor the batteries frequently to check the recharging/and make sure they are not getting overheated (I think my inverter has sensor for this - will check).
    So if I am aiming at a rough 4.5kw per day with a 48v system these are my questions:
    1 - based on 8x6v  220Ah batteries - would that give me enough storage to ensure I don't draw too much for my daily needs?
    2 - how many solar panels (250watts) would I need to ensure the batteries charge up sufficiently - is it the 1732w array minimum?  I.e. can I use less panels? Would 8 panels be sufficient?

• BB.
    edited September 2020 #14
    Options
    Money wise, deep cycling to 50% vs 25% of battery capacity (50% state of charge vs 25% state of charge) for lead acid batteries--More or less the 50% batteries will last 1/2 as long as the 25% discharged batteries--But you have 2x more batteries at 25% discharge lasting (usually a bit more) 2x as long. So--Cost Wise--It is about the same (i.e, 4 batteries lasting 3 years deep cycled, vs 8 batteries lasting about 6 years less deeply cycled--made up numbers to show the point).

The bigger issue for me is that Lead Acid batteries need a lot of time on charge (simply something like 6-10 hours per day if disharged to 50%). So one day's worth of discharge takes a bit more than 1 day of "day light/sun above horizon" to recharge. So that if you discharge to 50% the first day and recharge to 90% the next day, then discharge by 50% to 40% the day after to 80%, etc... You can end up with "deficit charging" (basically taking a bit more energy out of the bank when you recharge)--It may take days or a week or more, but you end up with a very deeply discharged battery bank and possibly a damaged battery bank.

The 50% discharge can work--For example people that have a weekend place--They deeply discharge for a couple days, then let the bank recharge over the next 5 days -- and ready for the next weekend use.

So the 25% discharge vs 50% discharge costs you the same in batteries (4 batteries in 3 years, vs 8 batteries in 6 years), but it is hard to fully recharge the deeply cycled bank in 1 day without using a generator/grid power/etc. to get back to full for next days use.

Of course, the above is "worst case" estimate of usage... Basically charge during the day and discharge during the night.

If, however, much of your energy use is during the day (running computers, trade tools, something like 1/2 of your refrigeration) is during the day--The solar panels carray a good part of the load during the day (plus battery charging).

But this does ignore the couple of days of bad weather where your harvest could be 10% or less during "dark weather", and you still need power... So I usually just assume the "worst case design" of all energy used "at night" (or in the "dark"), and you want to recharge fully the next sunny day or two.

The sad fact is, with any renewable energy supply, you have to "over design" the power source... Whether Wind, Solar, etc. You usually want power when needed--And not stop your business during dark weather, calm winds, or whatever.

That is where you decide what energy is needed every day (refrigerator, some LED lighting, perhaps a laptop and cell phone), and have optional loads (running an electric cooker, water pumping for irrigation, washing clothes, vacuuming) that can be done during the next sunny day (or you fire up the backup generator).

Speaking of which--Will you have a backup genset or not? I understand the price of fuel is very high in much of europe due to taxes. But you can trade off between solar panels vs genset runtime during bad weather/and some during deep winter... Over sizing your solar array is a pretty good solution (panels last 20+ years, no maintenance or other costs) to keep generator runtime down... But if there is "no sun" or very poor sun for many days/weeks at a time, you still need alternate power sources and/or to reduce energy usage.

Some folks like to use wind turbines for winter backup (storms = dark = wind)--But that is something that I suggest as a last resort... In the end, turbines are cheap, but towers, concrete, yearly maintenance is not--And the wind is much less predictable/consistent for power generation.

Anyway, looking at your proposed system:
    • 48 volts @ 220 AH flooded cell lead acid battery bank
    • 48 volts * 220 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * 1/2 days storage * 0.50 max discharge = 2,244 WH per average day (2 days storage/50% planned discharge)
    Assuming you use 50% to 65% of your storage for "base loads" (load that must run such as a refrigerator):
    • 2,244 WH per day storage * 0.50 base load fudge factor = 1,122 WH per day (just a refrigerator during bad weather)
    • 2,244 WH per day storage * 0.65 base load fudge factor = 1,459 WH per day (fridge+some LED lights, etc.)
    Just for the sake of argument... You use a generator when needed... Roughly a gasoline genset sized to your loads is a bit less than 4,000 WH per gallon... (or around 1,000 WH per liter). If you needed another 1,000 WH per day for a few days of bad/winter whether, would a few liters of petrol be "acceptable" (Diesel gensets are more efficient so diesel fuel costs may be less--But diesel gensets are more expensive to purchase and service, and can be pretty noisy and smelly). Just trying to look at what "backup power" is worth to you.

Sizing the solar array--First based on battery bank capacity (5% to 13%+ rate of charge):
    • 220 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 829 Watt array minimum (weekend use)
    • 829 Watt array / 250 Watt panels = 3.3 (3 to 4 panels)
    • 220 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,657 Watt array nominal (full time off grid)
    • 1,657 Watt array / 250 Watt panels = 6.4 (6 to 7 panels)
    • 220 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 2,154 Watt array "typical" cost effective maximum
    • 2,154 Watt array / 250 Watt panels = 8.6 (~9 panels)
    • 220 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.20 rate of charge = 3,314 Watt array oversized
    • 3,314 Watt array / 250 Watt panels = 13.3 (13-14 panels)
    • 220 AH * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 0.25 rate of charge = 4,143 Watt array "maximum" oversize suggested
    • 4,143 Watt array / 250 Watt panels = 16.7 (17 panels)
    Note that you have to "match" the solar panels in your array to your solar charge controller. Depending on the specifications of your panels and the MPPT solar charge controller you choose, you are probably looking at ~3 panels in series to have the "correct" operating voltage for your MPPT solar charge controller... That means your array would be in groups of 3 (3/6/9/12/15/18) to match a generic MPPT solar charge controller.

And Sizing the solar array to your loads... For Caen Fr, fixed array facing south:
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Caen
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 41° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

Use 2.0 hours per day minimum. And say >4.0 hours per day for "non-winter" average:
    • 1,732 Watt / 250 Watt panels = 7 panels, round up to 9 panels
    • 9 panels * 250 Watts per panel = 2,250 Watt array
    • 2,250 Watt array * 0.52 off grid AC system eff * 2.0 hours per day (Karen's winter number) = 2,340 WH per day (winter)
    • 2,250 Watt array * 0.52 off grid AC system eff * 4.0 hours per day (Bill's non-winter number) = 4,680 WH per day (non-winter)
    A 9 panel @ 250 Watts per panel for 2,250 Watt array is not a lot of energy... More or less, enough to run a 1,000-1,500 WH per day refrigerator and some lights, plus maybe a small water pump during the winter.

During non-winter, such an array will give you more power for other things--But you still have to be very energy efficient and manage your loads.

Your title said "startup" in it... Are you looking to run a Bed and Breakfast, or small farm/home?

Note that the above numbers are all approximate values.... Anything within 10% in solar power is pretty much "the same" (a 10 panel vs 9 panel array is a very small difference).

And I am making lots of assumptions and guesses here... In the end, power usage/needs are highly personal. What may work for me, may not work for you (and I am on grid in a major population center--So off grid is not my lifestyle and more of an engineering/academic exercise to frame answers that, hopefully, can meet your needs).

Is there anyone near your place that has similar power needs and is off grid (solar/generator/wind) that you can talk to about what is working (or not) for them?

Looking at energy usage--Conservation is critical here. Most efficient/least amount of energy usage to meet your needs.

System design... Something like $250 (Euros?) per 250 Watt panel (watch for shipping costs--can be more costly to ship panels vs the cost of panels themselves). Is 3 or 6 more solar panels ($250*3=$750; 6x is $1,500; plus other costs) vs reduced or no generator runtime? Will you still have a generator for backup (don't lose food in fridge, no power for business, etc. during bad weather)? Or pay a few euros per day for genset when needed.

Not saying my answers are correct for you--Just trying to help looking at the problem(s) from different perspectives.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    Options
    i have 5kw of PV and the controllers keep going to sleep at noon !!

• Karen
    Options
    Is that smog Mike?
  • BB.
    Options
    A couple weeks ago we had a (for California) a large "dry" lighting storm move through the state and starting a bunch of forest/wild fires.

We have virtually no rain in the summers and, combined with poor forest/land management, decades of underbrush build up--Had huge fires (some of the largest fires in state history).

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/California-wildfires-acres-number-record-season-15550487.php#photo-19922410
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Creek-Fire-grows-into-raging-monster-What-you-15549732.php#photo-19921604

California has always been a state with summer fires--The native Americans (Indians) and lightning caused fires had burned their areas long before any the USA existed in a normal cycle. The fires, because the underbrush was burned every so often, burned relatively cool (and not everything burned, the small/cool fire meander through the wildlands). And the ecosystem evolved around this natural process. Redwood trees, for example are relatively "fire resistant". There are seeds/pine cones/etc. that only release their seeds and germinate after a fire.

However, because of many decades of firefighting efforts to stop all fires, the underbrush built up. And when a fire is started (most of the recent fires are lightning cause, some arson, and even a "gender reveal party blue smoke bomb in a dry field", the fires burn very hot and fast (15 miles moving fire line in 1 day for one fire). The entire area goes up, and sterilizes the ground left behind.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54053811

A couple years ago, a few fires were started by poorly maintained electrical equipment (high tension power lines that fell during dry winds, both utilty and private power systems started fires). And we even lost entire good sized towns and lots of people to the fires. Even bankrupting our electric utilty.

In the last year or so, they have started to allow/make controlled (prescribed) burns (during cooler/more humid weather) to reduce fuel loading. But so far, that has been a drop in the bucket vs how much still needs to be done.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/political-stunt-federal-government-launches-bushfire-inquiry-to-probe-state-policy-20191223-p53mh3.html

Similar laws were passed to prevent clearing underbrush and trees that support large fires in Australia. One farmer cleared his underbrush (against the law)--His place survived and his neighbors burned to the ground.

And wild fires are now burning up and down the West Coast of the USA (California, Oregon, and Washington states). Lots of smoke everywhere, and lots of people loosing everything.

https://aqicn.org/map/northamerica/ (realtime map of air quality--See the smoke on the western US).

-Bill
  • mike95490
    Options
    Karen said:  Is that smog Mike?
    No, that is smoke from fires 60 miles away.   An hour later, 1pm, was like this, when I was charging from the generator.

• BB.
    Options
    And in the US (and especially California)--Our smog problems are mostly a thing of the past. Modern clean burning engines, pollution regulations & controls, etc. have eliminated the soot (diesel engines, jet planes, wood fire, coal fired power plants, etc.) and photochemical smog (nitric oxides from car and truck engines--Basically hot/clean burning engines produce lots of oxides of nitrogen which get trapped in the air above cities by "temperature inversion layers", which then turn into "smog" (smog is a word that came from "smoke+fog"--Technically inaccurate).

Mostly, pretty nice now, with a few days/weeks during summer with light winds that may cause some "Spare the Air" alerts. But nothing like 50 years ago.

-Bill
  • mcgivor
    Options
    One could imagine a respirator would be in needed given the circumstances, that's some dense smoke, look after yourself  Mike!
  • Karen
    Options
    Thanks folks for your inputs. I am going ahead with what I think might work, and will check out some people who are trying to run off renewables locally for experience and inputs relevant to the local conditions. Sorry to hear about all these fires which are making your life with solar so difficult, and yes, the same techniques were even used in some parts of the UK until the last 100 years to manage heathland, and also for forest management - so it is largely preventable if there was some decent land management (why is that not happening? - I don't expect an answer!!!)
    Thanks again, and happy solar generating days.
    Karen