Makeskyblue controller temperature.

Options
jtorresrs
jtorresrs Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello 
Does Makeskyblue 60A controllers, normally run warm. I live in the tropics where temperatures get a bit high. (Over 100 F sometimes). My controller is running the fan most of the time. A bit too much if I'm asked. Has anyone any advice on the subject.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know that brand but this time of year my Midnite classic controller has all 3 fans running most of the day and it gets pretty warm. 

MPPT controllers will run warmer with a wide voltage differential between input voltage and nominal battery voltage. example 120 volts in from the array and a 12 volt battery. Lost efficiency becomes excess heat. It will work but better to have the input voltage about 150% of the battery charging voltage for best efficiency.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being in the tropics as well I've had to add cooling fans to my passively cooled controllers to prevent them from throttling down when the heatsink exceeds 40°C. Being that your controller  has an internal fan and the fact it's running, merely indicates it's doing its intended job.

My Schneider  inverters original fans both failed within a year, the replacements which are cheap off the shelf fans, have lasted almost 3 times as long, running 24/7 for the most part. When the fan doesn't run is when to investigate, the replacements are cheap so my suggestion is to not worry too much about then running constantly.

One unrelated thing, use mosquito mesh to protect your equipment from geckos entering, I lost an inverter due to one of those pesky critters, any hole big enough for them to enter should be covered.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • jtorresrs
    jtorresrs Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! Will do!