How did adding two panels kill my Renogy MPPT40 CC?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
Had four panels feeding 20 amps at 28 volts under ideal conditions. I wanted/needed to add two more panels for 30 amp charging. 

Cloudy conditions with the panels 90% covered up with a car cover. Figured that would protect the CC when I hooked up the six panels. Note - usually didn't worry about this before when hooking up 2 or 4 panels. 

CC quit recognizing panel feed. LED bulb is - lights out. The wires measure 40 volts coming into the charge controller.  What may have happened?

I disconnected two of the six panels. No change with charge controller. 

So I hooked up the 24V battery charger. Unconnected to AC power - big sparks when hooking it up, Like 3-4 times the usual size. Battery charger fan comes on over time but battery is not being charged. I am - flumoxxed. Three steps backward - Zero steps forward. Eventually I got the charger to charging. How? No idea - just kept fiddlin'. 

How did adding two panels kill my Renogy MPPT40 CC?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Afternoon Solar Grade: F- 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the regency cc just freek out and stop working .
     I would look at my system and I would be getting no power then turn every thing off and back on and it would work for a few weeks then one day it would turn off again for no reason . 
      I change to a old morning star unit . 
      My unit worked for 3 years 
     I would pop for a out back fm80 so you have a back up 

Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You've been here a while, might give us enough info to work on the problem...

Sounds like you had 20 amps at 28 volts going into a MPPT type charge controller to charge a 24 volt battery bank?
    That would already be to low a voltage to function properly.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Options
    Something going on with the combiners boxes, then combiner box I used. Though I measured 40 volts going into the CC - the led bulb stayed dark.

Tried another CC - still didn't work. So I knew the issue was the incoming current. After eliminating the combiner box it is working fine, Me and electricity - we don't always see eye to eye.

Photowit - I don't recall incoming 28 volts - I do recall incoming 31.4 volts being changed to ~ whatever battery voltage happens to be at the time. 

Two more panels for 30 amps instead of 20 amps would solve all issues. But using my combiner boxes somehow did not work. They are four into two boxes. A six into two would be far preferable.

I had a sneaky feeling that using two 2 into 1 boxes would backfire. It was an off day. I should never do critical work on an off day. 

No idea on the giant spark when hooking up the IOTA charger either. It always sparks but yesterdays was quite unique. Working fine now- had a normal spark this morning. Must have a capacitor that gets instantly charged when hooking up,
  • softdown
    Options
    My electrical gremlin remains consistent. Happiness upon opening the door and seeing 23 amps of charging power - best ever. Then it noticed I was staring at it and sank to 8 amps until I left. I swear.