Folks are currently asking more for used freezers than they were when new.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Apparently it takes about three months, or so, to get a freezer after ordering. Lots of interesting reactions to C-19. Such as gold being higher than during the 2008-2012 crisis. Yet stocks are curiously doing ok.

I swear - many things make no sense these days. I could go on and on.

I have a 12 year old freezer in Denver that has less frost than it used to. I need to check the temp next time. Wondering if the summer temps have done it - it is in an enclosed, insulated patio that reflects outdoor temperatures. Worried because I just put a bunch of chicken in it.

My "little empire" is too large at times. Always a 100 things to worry about.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem finding 8-10 cu ft chest freezers in stock here in my little corner of the world. The 15 to 20 cu. ft. units have a 7-10 day lead time. I didn't look for uprights, I use chest freezers. 
    I am not rolling in money, but I will not buy a used freezer because I want an assurance of  (-)10F to (-)15F storage temps with a 75F ambient, or I get a refund.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    You are likely closer to ranching country so people are not so worried about meat in the freezer. My used upright is getting the job done - just used a lot more energy than I like - a bit more than 1.5 kW/day.

Plus Denver and Colorado Springs has a lot of Ingsoc employees/Ingsoc money so lots of funds for guns, ammo, food and freezers etc. Our C-19 gun sales in Denver were quite impressive. Background checks were taking two weeks.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Does Colorado do more than the standard NICS check? 
  • softdown

No - and it isn't a real bad state in regards to guns. Just sold a gazillion in a short time.

Used to be a red state, went deep blue when we got many of the biggest pot heads after being the first for you know what. C-s really hate our gayner.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 #6
    Still 6-12 week wait here. Appliance stores, in central Missouri, regularly announce when they get a surprise delivery and let you know when they are near out again... Smart enough to be asking full retail and not announce that the last one's gone...lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Guess I'll just energize the power hungry Frigidaire Commercial upright I have. Could be behaving as designed. With plenty of defrost action. Keeps the temp at zero while close to minimum freezing setting, it would probably freeze to  -15F if wanted.
  • softdown
    Makes sense that a "commercial freezer" would have active defrost action. A commercial operation does not want frost on their food.

My Samsung excels at frost free frozen food. But that energy consumption is the price that accompanies pretty frozen food.
  • Marc Kurth
    softdown said:
    No - and it isn't a real bad state in regards to guns. Just sold a gazillion in a short time.

Then the maximum waiting time is 3 days - It is part of the Brady Bill. If they are jammed up and do not issue a "no" within 3 days, the FFL can move forward and transfer the gun. A two-week wait means that CO uses a more stringent method or the complainers are slinging BS. (NOT accusing you!)
  • Marc Kurth
    edited July 2020 #10
    Photowhit said:
    Still 6-12 week wait here. Appliance stores, in central Missouri, regularly announce when they get a surprise delivery and let you know when they are near out again... Smart enough to be asking full retail and not announce that the last one's gone...lol
    My best friend lives in Southern CA and he just told me the same thing. Perhaps it is a regional thing!  Locally, it seems like every other week they have one size or another in stock and on sale. These are in stock now.

Marc

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Due to covid it is hard to get other things also. I have been waiting for a couch I ordered over 4 months ago. Trying to get a 33inch wide refrigerator since memorial day. I was keeping the freezer door shut with bungie straps. Finally figured how to put magnets on it and decided I do not need a new refrigerator, so gtot a new cook stove instead. Next I want to get a bosch dishwasher and they are scarce  as hens teeth.