Electric fence with alarm for heightened security?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Took awhile to make it operational. Quite happy with it to date.

Easily powered with an automotive type battery and small solar panel. An auto battery will power the alarm for days - according to one neighbor.

Goes off continually if system is grounded due to malfunction or sabotage or vandalism. Goes off intermittently to tell you that the system was grounded - until you reset it. Last night somebody tampered with it. I learned of the intermittent function this morning. 

Downsides:
Requires multiple strands to discourage two legged predators.
Owner will get shocked in all probability. Perhaps a few times.
Fence insulators have recently quadrupled in price - at Ebay and Amazon anyway. Security is in vogue these days.
If it goes off while you are out town the neighbors may call and complain. That will likely damage the ambience of the rest of your trip. Can't resist noting that the call stemmed from broken insulator right across the street from my infamous "bad boy" neighbor.
May require maintenance if vegetation grows and partially grounds it. I am preparing to burn dead tumbleweeds before adding more strands.

Upsides:
Pretty cheap and easy to add additional strands once experienced. Last strand took about 4 hours total to cover .375/mile. I doubt many can do with barbed wire though I may be wrong.
Some people are pretty scared of electrical shock.
Electric fence wire is cheap and light - compared to alternatives. Though barbed wire isn't bad at all.
Costs little to operate. The solar panel may last for decades. Battery may last for years.
Alarm. speaker and energizer are not unduly expensive.
Owner can put silicone aquarium tubing over high usage areas though I don't yet know the outdoor like of the tubing.

I consider it pretty difficult to install true perimeter security without electricity. Battery operated tools make cutting almost anything quite fast and easy. Signs may discourage the honest. They sure do not work on surly neighbors. Dogs are pretty easy to poison. This happened to me the day that the fence became operational by the way.

You may be on your own in terms of security. More so than you like to think. I couldn't get my sheriff to investigate a theft of over $70,000 worth of precious metals. This county is - interesting.

Concerned about security? Consider multiple strands of electric fencing. Know that nothing is perfect.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Around here, there is a common sign hanging on fences in remote areas:
    No trespassing I have guns and a backhoe

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A battery will power a suresine 300 for days, and intruders will know they touched something.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    Around here, there is a common sign hanging on fences in remote areas:
    No trespassing I have guns and a backhoe

Doesn't work on neighbors that know when you come and go.

Locks are said to keep honest people honest. Signs just let people know that land is private. Probably works in states that allow protection of private land. I have tons and tons of evidence that neighbors have stolen and vandalized on my property many, many times. One neighbor in particular. Has "disabled" income but he built a place and beat up a giant ex prison guard - even broke his ribs. Not so disabled after all.

My signs say "You are now in range". I think they have worked on strangers a few times.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    mike95490 said:
    A battery will power a suresine 300 for days, and intruders will know they touched something.

You saying to use an inverter instead of an electric fence energizer? I now have over a mile of energized fencing. Soon to be almost two miles. I wonder what the range of your concept is.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Just be aware that "man traps" and "booby traps" are illegal (at least in California). If you set up an electric fence that can injure or electrocute somebody--That could get you a long time in jail.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/booby-traps/

Also, using an AC inverter could start a fire (short circuit, arcing).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Never said anything about booby traps, I do appreciate the concern we have for common criminals.
  • BB.
    120/240 VAC @ x amps electric fencing is a "booby trap".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    OK - that explains everything. Thanks. Why would I replace a fence energizer that is working perfectly anyway.

Unfortunately my bizarre neighbor is now exploiting the security alarm to find if I am home. Tripped it again this morning. As he also did a couple days ago. Not quite as bad as simply breaking an insulator post but equally ominous. He has ruined a heck of a lot of tires - including exploding one on the trailer for the 6000 pound boat. If that had fallen over it would have been quite ugly indeed.

It is bizarre what an atrocious neighbor can get away with. His very fancy pot growing operation appeared with the disappearance of my precious metals. That building cost a lot more than the shed he lives in.

Huge risk with building on cheap land!!!!!!!!!!!!

Electric fence does little without the alarm. So very easy to cut FWIW.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    You saying to use an inverter instead of an electric fence energizer? I now have over a mile of energized fencing. Soon to be almost two miles. I wonder what the range of your concept is.
    Depends on the current draw on the fence.   But there could be legal repercussions.
     I'm next to a creek and an active railroad.  Transients use both as a transportation corridor and see my place as an inviting respite from the sun, and oh - look, a building, and there is stuff I could use. but it's locked inside.   fine, smash a $400 window and gee, not really any stuff inside, but I'll take this other stuff instead. I'm now using game cams, but unless the sheriff catches someone WITH my stuff on them, they don't care about the pics. Tweakers suck

yesterdays guest, only about 2,000 feet inside my posted barb wire fence
    No trespassing,  I have a backhoe 

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    t-post clips by Zareba work well. Their price had been quadrupled, now only tripled - so coming back down now. Big R also carries insulators at less than double the previous cost at Amazon. About $6.50 for 25. I think Amazon used to be $3.59 for 25.

Edit: Price is fluctuating.

I have three strands above the 4' game fence. But that fence is easy to cut. Bought 5" tall insulators to extend new lines outside the game fence. But tripping the alarm is a new hassle to deal with.
  • softdown
    edited July 2020 #12
    Mounted a game camera in the area of suspicious activity. Quickly caught my esteemed neighbor walking away from the fence while carrying about 6' of pole with apparatus at the end. But I can't link an AVI file for evaluation. Any ideas on that?

First conversion does not play. Trying a different program now.
    EDIT: Neither AVI or MP4 seem to be supported. Using the "Attach file" or "Attach image" link above anyway. It is only 1mb of video btw.

The security alarm is being tripped every day now - rendering it worse than useless. Now it tells him if I am home.
  • Marc Kurth
    edited July 2020 #13
    Email the file to me and I will get it posted for you.

• softdown
    edited July 2020 #14
    Email the file to me and I will get it posted for you.

Thanks - sent you a message for email info. EDIT - found your email. Clip in a few minutes or less.

He lives katty corner well behind that wooden structure across the road - no way he was accidentally walking away from my fence. Bought his pit bull with him.

My cameras do 10 second clips. They seem to start up a second slow and 5 seconds is usually all that is needed. Sometimes wide angle is desired though I was patently unhappy with my wide angle security cameras on 5 acres. Would be fine in the city.

• Marc Kurth
    edited July 2020 #15
    Here you go!

Looks he is carrying something on a shovel and he is being careful not to drop it.

Marc
  • softdown
    Not a bad idea but makes no sense at all. He has five acres and isn't even across the street. His dog came with him.

Looks like a pole with something to press down on the electric wires so they short out. Phenomenons:
    Best guard dog poisoned the day the fence went live with electricity.
    Fence shorted out shortly after leaving on last trip. Due to broken insulator right across the road from him - closest location.

He is messing with the fence - shorting it out so the alarm goes off - every day. But it seems to be keeping him off the property - so far. No flat tires since going live. Used to get them every few weeks. Along with siphoned gas etc.

I may need a more high tech alarm system We all know how reliable high tech is.
  • BB.
    Looks like a shovel carrying a stick or dried out snake or similar shape....

-Bill
  • Marc Kurth
    A close friend was having similar problems. He put up standard-sized silhouette targets in the back part of the property and put fresh holes in them now and then. His signs said "Do NOT enter - this is a gun range"
  • softdown
    I'd estimate it is 200 yards from the shed he lives in to the fence where he is seen walking away.
  • softdown
    With detailed  posts disappearing I need to save them before entering. Documenting stuff can be important when proof is needed. The local sheriff has no time for me. Thinks I had two false alarms after getting my security system in 2016. Maybe they were, maybe they were not. One of the windows was unlatched.
  • softdown
    Sat on the roof planning to see what trips the fence alarm every day in the early morning. It tripped by itself. My strong suspicion is that it has something to do with the sun hitting the solar panel that feeds the battery. Only decent explanation for the alarm always going off in the early morning.

Ideas on that? New fence alarm needed? Maybe a sketchy connection? A weakened battery?

Can't have an alarm that self triggers every morning.

It worked perfectly until a fence insulator was broken right after leaving on a trip. The broken insulator shorted the fence causing the alarm to sound for days - until I returned. I have a photo of the broken insulator - directly across the street from my esteemed neighbor. Yet another coincidence.

What started as praise for fence alarms has certainly changed direction. Being able to turn off and on with a smartphone would be handy and expensive - if even possible. Time for another fence alarm after a couple brief months.
  • softdown
    edited July 2020 #22
    The battery is at 1%. Energizing the alarm for several days destroyed it. What fence monitors do is monitor changes in fence performance. So a dead battery coming back to life with energy from the solar panel does make sense. Problem solved - for now.

Internal resistance: 49.5
    CCA: 60
    Voltage 12.4 after 1/2 hour of light charging
    Older battery - as memory serves
    EDIT: Made in 8/12 - almost eight years old - the "walking wounded"