Wiring size to breaker box

Options
ArvilEvans
ArvilEvans Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a Magnum MS4448PAE inverter at my cabin that is off grid and am getting ready to run wiring to the outside breaker box which is a little less than one hundred feet and I need to know what size wire to get for the run all my lighting is led and I have a small microwave and a 1/2 horsepower well pump so I'm wondering what gauge wiring I would use to not overload the wiring?  Also we will be doubling the size of the cabin in the future so would like to put in wiring that would cover the future needs.  We now have five 2 x 4 foot lights with two 4 foot led lights in each light fixture, two led table lamps, a small microwave and a 1/2 horsepower 110 volt well pump we will be doubling the lighting I'm sure.  I hope that its enough information to figure out what size wiring will be needed thank you for your help, I'm not a electrician so I can't do the calculating.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just go ahead and max out the required wire. 4400 watts at 240 volts or 18 amps or 4400 watts at 120 volts is (4400/120=) 37 amps, Here an Ampacity chart for various types of copper wire, 10 gauge should be more than ample since you will be wiring 3+ground, but since the neutral is shared, I would think you would use the 120 figures. To be honest, I don't know the rules on a 240 line. Perhaps someone will jump in.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, I got to thinking about it, since the neutral would be carrying one side of the wave at a time, it would never carry both loads at once, so I guess you could just use the 240 volt amperage. Though this is the breaker box with wiring extending from that. 10 gauge is where I'd stay...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the Magnum MS4448PAE a 120V inverter or a 240V split phase ?      If only 120V, then neutral would be carrying amps
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,