Why do freezers die while unplugged for a couple years?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
This has happened to me three times now. Freezer worked fine until it say unplugged for a few months to a couple years. Then it still acts like it is working but it fails to cool the interior.

Guessing leaking freon? But one big freezer worked for decades until it sat for a few years.

Also guessing that if cooling has not commenced in 2-3 hours then the freezer is kaput. Another disappointment today. Wanted to put a lot of new food in it.

My brother can work on such items but says it isn't worth it. Indeed repairing modern appliances is often exactly that - not really worth it.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    It could be possible that any system has very small leaks.  Running a compressor circulates an oil mist  that keeps these plugged up with regular running.  I use a chest freezer as a fridge.  I had a 5CF one that lost refrigerant after a couple of years of operating only 4 months a year. I bought a 7CF because I really needed something bigger. Hope I have better luck this time.  Been meaning to recharge the older one so I can have a true freezer.  Got all the equipment to do it but never the time. That's as good a guess as any.
  • softdown
    How hard is it to recharge? I think I have the equipment - most of it anyway. If I see a deal on used tools, I just can't resist. This one takes 134.

In the meantime I have converted my upright commercial freezer that was being used as a mild fridge back into use as a freezer. Of no surprise it takes a lot of energy to bring it from ~45F to 0F with some contents in it.

Nobody like to hear grim news especially perhaps regarding predictions. A recent post disappeared. Suffice it to say that I want a lot of food in the freezers.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To recharge, you have to have a vacuum pump, a replacement Dryer, compatible compressor oil and equipment to hard solder shrader valves into the plumbing for charging.    Not really DIY unless you want to buy enough gear to be a refrigeration tech.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:

Clipped:
    Nobody like to hear grim news especially perhaps regarding predictions. A recent post disappeared. Suffice it to say that I want a lot of food in the freezers.

Pretty basic concept from my perspective: It is always prudent to have food and supplies on hand. Calamities and catastrophes happen, but some people prefer to wait until there are shortages - then complain about the lack of availability and/or high prices.  

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Now running four freezers. Three here and one in Denver. Thinking I should have a new spare for the time that one dies. New ones should store pretty well I would hope.

I'm not getting chipped so I need several years worth of food saved up to see the madness unfold.