I found two great deals, Sunny Island 6000 W and a Magnum 4400 W, can't decide !

Options
Solarbaby
Solarbaby Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello everyone, same old question : )   
Wich inverter should I chose ?
Awesome deal on the SMA, but it's 120 V only so I need to purchase an autotransformer to power 240 loads and there is not much info on forums and youtube about this inverter. Huge surge rating and reliability seems extreme.
The Magnum is 120/240 V but can I use the full power on one line only to power one big load (mortar mixer) or would I need an autoformer anyway to balance loads ?
Also, I have seen many issues recently about temperature sensors ans control failure in the Magnum MS4448-¨PAE.
Any moral/tech/philosophical input highly appreciated.

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd go for the 120/240 myself. I could use 240 volts, I never need over 3000 watts. A large well pump can have huge surge demands but they are 240 volt.

Smaller inverter should use less power when idling. Pretty universal rule - much like larger car engines.

My next system will be 1500 watt inverter unless the well is too deep. Using 3648 watts now - it uses too much energy for my needs unless the well pump is running - I think.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well engineered inverters use little power when idling.  (XW series =23W for a 6.8kw inverter)

Look for the Load Imbalance spec to see what your inverter choices can stand

Autotransformers, if you want them to manage a surge load, need to be sized to the surge.  Once the core of a 3kva transformer is saturated, it can't pass any surge current, so you may need the 240V inverter and use a smaller autotransformer to provide balance.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,