Plans for a large carport?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
This group has some analytical builders - so I address this challenge. With ten cars and trucks baking in the desert like sun - they lose more value every month. Wondering if anybody is happy with the carport design they implemented.

So far I am favoring treated 4x4s in concrete footers for main structural support and resisting high winds. 2 x 4 frame gets the job done. Maybe a rear roof slope starting at 6' (for cars) and going up to ~ 8' for taller trucks. Front roof would be 8' to 10' from side to side. Roof will be galvalume steel -  have some used material.

Guessing the county would want a permit pulled. Kind of nuts all things considered but they can make ones life sheer misery. I am extremely remote from county services and city slicker eyeballs.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect that wind loading could dominate your design.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    Concrete footers hold everything down. The brother of the steel roofing guy built a 60' x 100' with no concrete. He thought the weight would hold it down. Plus it had a large patio overhang and a very large door. Perfect for wind lift. The wind picked it up and carried it a while. It was completely destroyed. Imagine the weight and cost of a 60' x 100'.

Doing a lot of cleaning and finding a lot of space here and there. Could make room for 3-4 cars with much effort. There is that.

Not really sure I will do it. Newest car is a 2012 so the values have already mostly been lost. Be a good time to buy an Alaskan wood mill and make my own posts if I do it.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I if you can find storage for a few, then you might try good quality car or truck covers for the rest. Good ones cost between $200 and $300 and should last a few years.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Any chance to reclaim any of the steel from your neighbor?
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    Raj174 said:
    I if you can find storage for a few, then you might try good quality car or truck covers for the rest. Good ones cost between $200 and $300 and should last a few years.
    2-3 years in normal conditions. This area has a lot of high winds. My covers have lasted until the nest real wind storm. 

I'm going to build the carport. I have a lot of logs and time right now. This is not fast but it is  good one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHLVY6Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8&psc=1

Should do the job for a couple dozen ~ 5x5 posts. Lumber has gone up - a lot. Time to do it myself. I have pretty good chainsaws being a tool junkie.