Justifying a smaller off grid television set?

Options
2»

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie account? Good idea for movie fans as long as the company stays out of legal issues. The movie download opportunities that I usually encounter seem on the expensive side for a simple download. I have a strong preference for a production company DVD. Though lately very turned off by the need to hook up my bluray player to the internet in order to play a legal bluray disc. Ingsoc needs to know what we are watching - all of the time. Bluray players are required to have 1 GB of memory.

Many TV's have a USB port that is only good for "updates", not for playing USB media. I question why stuff needs updates when they worked perfectly out of the box.

Plus I neglected to get a built in DVD player in my lust for an energy efficient tv set. Can't get everything very often it seems. Perhaps I need to find an energy efficient DVD player now. Oh well.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    softdown said:
    If you poke long enough and hard enough sometimes you find a pay off. Found this just released 40" Sansui on sale for $140 at Electronic Express.com in Tennessee. Shipping was $15. https://www.electronicexpress.com/catalog/187402/Sansui-S40P28F

Look at the Energy Guide:

They shipped via FedEx. Should be here on Monday. I'll try to update as it goes I hope.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    edited April 2020 #34
    Options
    So I got the 40" Sansui in less than a week. Aside from mounting the legs backwards all went quite smoothly. This tv is light! Only three HDMI ports. Lots and lots of options on settings. Never could find most of the options settings on my Vizio. It was a store return with no User Manual.

So far so good! Except I can't find my Kill-A-Watt meter. So I'll have to judge by speed of declining system voltage. Previous model was rated at 31 watts - covered in previous post.

They still show it for sale. Seems a solid deal for the energy conscious off gridder. Light enough that you can carry it around easily. Shipped in a plain vanilla box outside of the Sansui box. So thieves don't automatically know there is a tv inside.

• softdown
    Options
    FWIW - the User Manual says it consumes 110 watts while the previously shown Energy Guide says $8/year. Getting another energy usage meter when my cart hits $25.

TVs and refrigerators are areas where we can exercise a lot of discretion about energy usage.
  • softdown
    edited May 2020 #36
    Options
    This 40" Sansui uses 30 watts in the Power Saver mode. Does not matter if settings are "warm" or "cool". Uses .2 watts in Stand By mode - just plugged in.

Set weighs 12 pounds. Easy to move and watch the old 65" tv when the sun is co-operating.

So this really is quite energy efficient. Links and data above. I have no affiliation with Sansui or any links above.