Which Inverter?

Options
Chris11
Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Ironicaly I wrote the other day that I'd had not problems with my cheapy chinese inverter.  I shouldn't have said that since when I tried to fire up the well it didn't work...lol.  I took it apart and found one blown fuse, replaced it and it still didn't work

I need to buy another pure sine wave inverter ... don't mine spending the money but want one that's reliable.
I'd really like some empiracal opinions..
What would you suggest?  The present one was 2500/5000,  24 volt to 120.

Thanks, Chris

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You may want to consider an inverter charger if a generator is used, I've found the Schneider SW 2524 to be very robust, it is available as a split phase in 120/240V the U.S., its more industrial weighing over 60 pounds  (28kg) mostly due to the massive transformer and can really live up to its surge ratings, only problem I've had was with the cooling fans but that is likely due to being on 24/7 in the tropics , the $3 non OEM replacements however have far outlasted the original ones, they may have different fans now as mine is 2015 model. They cost ~$1600 but need an additional device to access the settings or data logging driving the cost up.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Chris11
    Options
    Thanks Mcgivor.  I don't think I need an inverter/charger.  It's my understanding that an inv/ch is mainly used for shore power for a boat so when you plug into the shore AC it keeps the batteries charged.  Perhaps it does more than I understand? 

This inverter is for my pump house....just one 24 volt 185 watt panel into a Morningstar Mppt CC and then onto 2 Marine bats.  And my 120 volt 2500/5000 sine cheapy chinese inverter that used to NOT give me any trouble....lol.

I looked on our host's site ... saw one called Cotek with no reviews.  That's my problem ... I don't know good ones from not so good ones.  I originally went with a cheapy thinking if it goes bad I can simply buy more cheapies if necessary.  I've changed my thoughts now, and would like a decent one.

Anyone else have some advice using your own experience of an off grid inverter that's lasted you a long time without any problems?
    Thanks, Chris

P.S.  Bill, that low bat noise is exactly what it's doing.  I checked the voltage right at the inputs and it's 26.5 volts so it may be the shunt/sensor that measures the input  that's bad. I have idea what the piece looks like so I'm stuck.  I also have the exact same inverter that I charge my Prius with and it's given me no trouble and I've probably used it a bazillion times more than the pump one.  Oh oh, I shouldn't have boasted about that.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cotek are good as are Samlex, I had a 2000W Samlex, actually made by Cotek,one an obsolete model, it was good whilst it lasted, a gecko took out half of its capacity, it was a twin stacked 1000W, lightning took care of the other half. The replacement is a store branded made in China 2K unit which was 1/3 the price, it has been reliable during its service ~4 years, on 24/7 but dose cause radio interference on AM however, unlike  the Samlex/Cotek.

The question is dose the price difference reflect the quality or assure reliability? Can't answer that definitively, but having regular lightning may make the cheaper brands more cost effective in the long run.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my Cotek 1500 watt pure since wave. We have another member who is also happy with his very similar Cotek.

The cooling fan was coming on when both freezers were on. Now it also powers a fridge and the fan was on a lot today! Freezing six gallons of milk and cooling a case of beer! That much cooling even got the attention of my forklift battery.

I consider the Cotek a pretty good and reasonably priced inverter. A good compromise between the cheapies and the most expensive.

Once bought a cheap pure sine inverter - it never did work. Not once.

As I recall the surge is around 2000 watts? Not fantastic but to be expected. Here is one seemingly knowledgeable reviewer: https://www.amazon.com/COTEK-SP1500-112-Inverter-Frequency-Selectable/dp/B00R701884

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Chris11
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I'm going to phone our host tomorrow and ask about the 2500 watt Cotek.