Stock market may come roaring back soon.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Reason to believe that azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine are effective for combating C-19. A leading French health official claims a 100% cure rate in fact. 

However esteemed government officials may take a long time to recognize this since doing so would decrease the power and control enhancements it has exercised. 

I'm not saying to fearlessly buy stocks now. A lot could still happen. But if I had liquid money I would buy stocks now. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    I have several friends who are buying now.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you are maintaining a disciplined, diversified, and balanced portfolio, it is always good to buy low and sell high.

I just looked and do not see a buy signal yet, be careful out there!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Low risk = low reward. There is that. I believe there would so much embarrassment by acknowledging the radical over reaction that they will ignore the break though for a while. Market may see saw awhile.

Also - anything can happen. C-19 could mutate again. The 1918/19 Pandemic hit three times due to mutations. But medicine is now light years ahead. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you are maintaining a disciplined, diversified, and balanced portfolio, it is always good to buy low and sell high.

I just looked and do not see a buy signal yet, be careful out there!
    Exactly, a very moderate conservative portfolio should be just that.  Upside is you don't get killed but on the upside you're  not chasing the final dollar. ;)
  • softdown
    Nevada governor just made usage of hydroxychloroquine illegal. Is someone slipping crazy pills to our politicians? Governors have no business in medicine administration. It's as if a large number are thriving on this pandemic. Pandemic of fear and misused power. We are likely in for a bumpy ride as many fan the flames of both pandemics.
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    > But if I had liquid money I would buy stocks now. 

One might argue that someone who was good at timing the market would have liquid money to invest.  :wink:

• softdown
    edited March 2020 #8
    fratermus said:
    > But if I had liquid money I would buy stocks now. 

One might argue that someone who was good at timing the market would have liquid money to invest.  :wink:

I was a Merrill Lynch stockbroker in the 80's. I invest in real estate, lead, and food. I've long considered our socioeconomic model to be unsustainable in the long term. I think 20 years out while most people think in a shorter term. 

But if I sold my Denver home right now I'd likely invest plenty in the market. Us pessimists are often wrong. 

BTW - the majority of the experts do worse than the general market. I suspect some of the uncanny success stories may enjoy insider information. Doesn't mean I don't ever look at opportunities. 
  • softdown
    Lefty governors are increasingly blocking the prescription of the medicine that has actually worked very well - hydroxychloroquine. With half of our leaders hell bent on making this disaster as big as they possibly can - this will likely not end well at all. Stock market optimism now cancelled.  Never in a thousand years suspected our leaders could be this corrupt. This inept. This evil. This stupid. 

More specifically - Nevada and NY governors are blocking filling the prescription of hydroxychloroquine. Of course they have gathered a smattering of data t "support their agenda". Good night. 
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    A good conservative portfolio should only be down abbot 10-15% for the year as of today, but it sure looks like if your a trader you might have to bite the bullet at 30% down.  I suspect this will hit some point where the virus is over or on the steep down swing and the loose cash sloshing around might be inflationary, but the market should come back some more as well.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I would have tried an S&P 500 index fund with my money (and telling my youngest to start investing there too). At this point in my life, while stocks have done very well for me, and while not timing the market, timing for buys and sells worked pretty out pretty well. But I do know that was luck, and not any magic other than 2000 and very high company stock value look "risky" to me before I bailed--Which was a good choice--It turned out:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/spx

S&P 500 was hit pretty badly in the last month (around 30% loss. Something like 4 years of gains (hopefully a short drop then rise...). In general, from when I looked, few money managers could beat SP500 over the long term.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • fratermus
    fratermus Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    A better reply than I deserved, softdown.  Well handled sir. 
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
  • softdown
    edited April 2020 #14