Lithium batteries of unknown age?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Was thinking a light weight 12 volt lithium power source would be useful in a light weight tear drop camper. Lithium batteries are expensive! 

Found an affordable 105 aH unit at $400. Compared to a more typical new price of $900. But the seller has this to say about the age "Never used or installed but may have sat in inventory for extended period.  May or may not show signs of shelf wear." https://www.ebay.com/itm/MH5RTD1A38G-Battery-105Ah-12v-Solar-RV-Wind-Marine-Deep-Cycle-Boat-Lift-Truck/372895510451?hash=item56d24defb3:g:FFUAAOSwFZdeCT8w#shpCntId

This thing could be a decade old. One would have to be a real gambler to invest in such an unknown.

Relax - I'm passing. They may, or may not, find a buyer. 

EDIT: Date Code indicates 2018 mfg. date. Still passing - $463 with shipping. Shipping is $63. 

How much does it likely weigh? I might buy if more prosperous. 2018 isn't bad at all. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 #2
    softdown said:
    Was thinking a light weight 12 volt lithium power source would be useful in a light weight tear drop camper. Lithium batteries are expensive! 

Found an affordable 105 aH unit at $400. Compared to a more typical new price of $900. But the seller has this to say about the age "Never used or installed but may have sat in inventory for extended period.  May or may not show signs of shelf wear." https://www.ebay.com/itm/MH5RTD1A38G-Battery-105Ah-12v-Solar-RV-Wind-Marine-Deep-Cycle-Boat-Lift-Truck/372895510451?hash=item56d24defb3:g:FFUAAOSwFZdeCT8w#shpCntId

This thing could be a decade old. One would have to be a real gambler to invest in such an unknown.

Relax - I'm passing. They may, or may not, find a buyer. 

EDIT: Date Code indicates 2018 mfg. date. Still passing - $463 with shipping. Shipping is $63. 

How much does it likely weigh? I might buy if more prosperous. 2018 isn't bad at all. 

This appears to be a low end lead-acid battery.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Shipping charge and dimensions tend to agree. Though we do have this tidbit: 
    "Chemical Composition:Lithium"

I asked them about the weight. Response may be interesting. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Sellers says "roughly 50-60 pounds". Light for a lead 106 aH battery. Very heavy for lithium - I would think. 

Plus roughly 50-60 gives me 0% confidence. Who doesn't have a bathroom scale around? Why didn't the seller look at the Date Code? Some odd things. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to see a Lithium battery with the Pb (lead) Recycle symbols on it. A 100 ah cheap standby AGM from China would weigh a touch over 60 lbs.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Yep - lead - weighs over 70 pounds in likelihood. Common size it turns out. https://www.sbb-battery.com/UploadFile/2015122116025722430.pdf

Seller shows voltage over 13 - he just charged it up. I told him it is lead.