8-D Batterys?

2»

Comments

• cowboy
    cowboy Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have 8d commercial truck batteries in my mic coach 6 of them and I run my air conditioning and heating  all appliances and have been using them for 4 years no problems I have 700 watts of solar panels and use a 2500 watt commercial inverter with mppt charge controllers 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 #33
    cowboy said:
    I have 8d commercial truck batteries in my mic coach 6 of them and I run my air conditioning and heating  all appliances and have been using them for 4 years no problems I have 700 watts of solar panels and use a 2500 watt commercial inverter with mppt charge controllers 

Cowboy, You are quoting a series of posts from 10 years ago. Things have actually not changed that much!
    Yes, 4D and 8D batteries are standard OEM in large coaches. With six 8Ds, you are likely runnig a Prevost class chassis. The term "truck batteries" along with the term "commercial" can be misleading to many people. If your coach builder knew what he was doing, you likely have deep cycle batteries.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    8D is just a general size template that is short and squat. Weight seems to run from ~120 lbs to 175 lbs. Solar applications require deep cycle batteries - which 8D may or may not be. A lot of Class A motorhomes use the 8D batteries to power the electronics. I can only hope they chose deep cycle 8Ds while suspecting that many did not. 

TIL that Sams sold 8Ds for $125 in 2010 - per this thread. They are now $200 vs $90 for Golf Cart batteries. The GC batteries are far better solar batteries of course. 

I would place a large bet that the vast majority of 8D batteries are simple 1400 CCA starter batteries designed for trucks. Just a very large battery really. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Large and heavy. At least there are no golf cart batteries that I'm aware of intended to start engines.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Marc Kurth
    edited March 2020 #36
    softdown said:
    .................................................................................. A lot of Class A motorhomes use the 8D batteries to power the electronics. I can only hope they chose deep cycle 8Ds while suspecting that many did not. 

By far most high-end coaches (Prevost class) use 4D and 8D true deep cycle batteries. as few as 4, but 8 to 16 8Ds are not rare on the upper end. Tiffen has recently shifted to 300ah 6v "GC2 Tall" to take advantage of the smaller footprint in exchange for height in the "basement."  Those coaches are 14-16 kWh.
    Yes, of course, some motorhomes us 2-4 golf cart batteries. In general, the big guys have battery banks equal to smaller off-grid homes @ 12 kWH to 48 kWH.

Marc
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to suspect "profit maximization" to prevail. Pretty sure the deep cycle 8Ds costs more. The 1400 CCA starter batteries strike m as having more than their share of liquid - as opposed to lead. Could be wrong. Has happened before. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Yes, of course, profit is why companies are in business. Yes, of course, true deep cycle batteries cost waaaay more - around $650. each for an 8D.
    It is important to understand that a few thousand dollars difference in battery cost is "chump change" on these rigs. Many people do not realize that the completed chassis with two "slide outs", no interior, no paint - just a shell - costs $980K. Then someone builds a motorcoach out of it, so $1.5 to million to $2.5 million is not rare. Heck, Michelins for the front tires alone cost around $1,000. each.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We had one break down at the local KOA. I got called and I must say he had more invested in his liquor cabinet than the battery bank. I saw some irish and scotch that had 24 year+ ages on them. He poured me home that night.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Your new friend? :D